World Federation of Advertisers
|Founded||May 14, 1953Stresa, Italyin|
The World Federation of Advertisers (WFA) is a global association for multinational marketers and national advertiser associations. Its membership is made up of over 120 of the world's top brands and national associations in more than 60 markets. WFA's aim is to champion effective and sustainable marketing communications worldwide.
WFA is based in Brussels, Belgium, and has offices in London and Singapore.
WFA was founded in Stresa, Italy on 14 May 1953 as the Union Internationale des Associations d'Annonceurs (UIAA) at the initiative of ten existing national advertiser associations representing Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, India, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK. In 1984, at the Rio de Janeiro World Congress, the UIAA changed its name to the World Federation of Advertisers (WFA) and opened its doors to corporate members.
In 2019, WFA formed the Global Alliance for Responsible Media (GARM), a global cross-industry alliance which aims to improve digital safety and eliminate harmful online content. GARM is made up of advertisers, agencies, media companies, platforms and industry organisations and is part of the World Economic Forum's Platform for Shaping the Future of Media, Entertainment and Culture.
That same year, WFA formed a steering group of advertisers and national associations to develop a set of global principles for cross-media measurement for the media ecosystem. In September 2020, an industry framework was released, which aims to set the parameters for cross-media measurement solutions. Digital platforms including Google and Facebook were involved in the development of a technical proposal that meet the principles outlined in the WFA framework.
WFA is a founding member of the Unstereotype Alliance, UN Women's flagship partnership with the marketing industry to eradicate harmful gender stereotypes in advertising, launched during the 2017 Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity. It is also a founding member of the Coalition for Better Ads, a cross-industry initiative to improve consumers’ experience with online advertising.
Each year the WFA holds Global Marketer Week, a series of events bringing together brand marketers to learn about the latest public affairs issues and best practice in marketing. In 2013 this event was held in Brussels to celebrate the organisation's 60th anniversary and in 2021 will be held in Singapore.
WFA also hosts the WFA Global Marketer of the Year award, an annual competition whose aim is to showcase global and regional marketers.
- "Global brands - World Federation of Advertisers". wfanet.org. Retrieved 2020-10-12.
- Plunkett, Jack W. (2008). Plunkett's advertising and branding industry almanac 2008 : the only comprehensive guide to advertising companies and trends. Houston, Tex.: Plunkett Research. ISBN 1-59392-109-8. OCLC 181421837.
- Jones, John Philip (2000). Advertising organizations and publications : a resource guide. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage Publications. ISBN 978-1-4522-2186-1. OCLC 808342720.
- Mattelart, Armand (1991). Advertising international : the privatisation of public space (Rev. English language ed.). London: Routledge. ISBN 0-203-99421-3. OCLC 61689262.
- "World Federation of Advertisers | UIA Yearbook Profile | Union of International Associations". uia.org. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- Hammett, Ellen (2019-06-18). "Brands and tech giants come together to launch first digital safety alliance". Marketing Week. Retrieved 2020-10-12.
- "Shaping the Future of Information and Entertainment". World Economic Forum. Retrieved 2020-10-12.
- "WFA lays out its go-forward plan to standardize cross-media measurement". The Drum. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- "The WFA Says the Holy Grail of Measurement Is Here". Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- "Launch of Unstereotype Alliance set to eradicate outdated stereotypes in advertising". Unilever global company website. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- Ads, Coalition for Better. "Global Online Media Leaders Join Forces to Improve Consumer Ad Experience". www.betterads.org. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- "Home - World Federation of Advertisers". wfanet.org. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- "Global Marketer Week 2020 - World Federation of Advertisers". wfanet.org. Retrieved 2020-09-29.
- "Overview - World Federation of Advertisers". wfanet.org. Retrieved 2020-09-29.