World Federation of Right to Die Societies
The World Federation of Right to Die Societies is an international federation of associations that promote access to voluntary euthanasia. It holds regular international meetings on dying and death.
The World Federation, founded in 1980, consists of 45 right to die organizations from 25 countries. The Federation provides an international link for organizations working to secure or protect the rights of individuals to self-determination at the end of their lives.
World Right to Die Day is celebrated November 2 in countries such as France, Italy, Mexico, New Zealand, and Venezuela. The celebration was founded in France at the WF Conference in 2008 and has since spread. The participating countries vary in their customs of celebration. This day also falls in with the celebration of Dia De Los Muertos in Mexico and is represented in the bigger cities as part of their celebration.
Cases of people choosing assisted suicide programs has been met with some controversy in the media and public. One famous case is that of Brittany Maynard. She was diagnosed with a terminal brain cancer and chose to end her life, but before that she chose to speak out about her situation and her choice, thus opening up the debate about the right-to-die movement in America.
Controversy also lies in issues regarding whether or not the right to die should be granted to those who are in a Minimally Conscious State (MCS). MCS refers to people who have suffered neurological damage and will never fully recover, but still have some awareness.
Groups, such as The National Right to Life Committee, fight against the movement to legalize and promote the right to die. Their goal is to prevent the determination of handicapped and senior individuals.
- South Africa: Dignity South Africa - Legalise Assisted Dying | my life ~ my choice
- South Africa: SAVES - The Living Will Society
- Zimbabwe: Final Exit Zimbabwe
- Japan: Japan Society for Dying with Dignity (JSDD)
- Belgium: Association pour le Droit de Mourir dans la Dignité (ADMD-B)
- Belgium: R.W.S. vzw (Recht op Waardig Sterven vzw)
- Denmark: Landsforeningen En Værdig Død
- Europe: Right to Die Europe, RtD-E
- Finland: EXITUS ry
- France: Association pour le Droit de Mourir dans la Dignité (ADMD-F)
- Germany: Dignitas (Sektion Deutschland) e.V. DIGNITATE
- Ireland: Living Wills Trust (LWT)
- Italy: EXIT - Italia
- Italy: Libera Uscita
- Luxembourg: Association pour le Droit de Mourir dans la Dignité (ADMD-L)
- Netherlands: De Einder
- Netherlands: NVVE, Right to Die - NL
- Norway: Foreningen Retten til en Verdig Død
- Scotland: Friends at the End (FATE)
- Spain: Asociación Federal Derecho a Morir Dignamente (AFDMD)
- Sweden: Rätten Till en Värdig Död (RTVD)
- Switzerland: Dignitas
- Switzerland: EXIT Association pour le Droit de Mourir dans la Dignité (Suisse Romande)
- Switzerland: EXIT-Deutsche Schweiz
- Switzerland: Lifecircle
- United Kingdom: Society for Old Age Rational Suicide (SOARS)
- Israel: LILACH: The Israel Society for the Right to Live and Die with Dignity
- Canada: Association Québécoise pour le Droit de Mourir dans la Dignité (AQDMD)
- Canada: Dying with Dignity
- Canada: Farewell Foundation
- Canada: Right to Die Society of Canada
- United States: AUTONOMY
- United States: Euthanasia Research & Guidance Organization (ERGO)
- United States: Final Exit Network
- United States: Hemlock Society of Florida, Inc
- United States: Hemlock Society of San Diego
- Australia: Christians Supporting Choice for Voluntary Euthanasia
- Australia: Dying with Dignity NSW
- Australia: Dying with Dignity Queensland
- Australia: Dying With Dignity Tasmania (Inc.)
- Australia: Dying With Dignity Victoria
- Australia: Northern Territory Voluntary Euthanasia Society
- Australia: South Australian Voluntary Euthanasia Society
- Australia: Dying With Dignity Western Australia(Inc)
- New Zealand: Voluntary Euthanasia Society of New Zealand
- Colombia: Fundacion Pro Derecho a Morir Dignamente (DMD Colombia)
- Venezuela: Derecho a Morir con Dignidad (DMD Venezuela)
- Final Exit book by Derek Humphry
- Assisted Suicide
- Compassion and Choices (Right-to-Die Organization)
- Death with Dignity National Center
- Dignity in Dying
- Final Exit Network
- "2 November World Right to Die Day".
- "Is Dying a Pro-Choice Issue?: EBSCOhost". web.b.ebscohost.com. Retrieved 2016-12-02.
- "The right to die in the minimally conscious state on JSTOR" (PDF). www.jstor.org. Retrieved 2016-12-02.
- "Robert Powell Center for Medical Ethics | National Right to Life". www.nrlc.org. Retrieved 2016-12-02.