World Fishing Network (Canada)
|World Fishing Network|
World Fishing Network logo
|Launched||December 2, 2005|
|Owned by||Keywest Marketing (80.1%)
Altitude Sports and Entertainment (19.9%)
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Slogan||We Share Your Passion|
|Website||World Fishing Network|
|Bell TV||Channel 419 (SD)|
|Shaw Direct||Channel 127 / 458 (SD)|
|Available on several Canadian cable systems||Check local listings, channels may vary|
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 419 (SD)
Channel 1419 (HD)
|Bell MTS||Channel 183 (SD)
Channel 1183 (HD)
|Optik TV||Channel 9361 (SD)
Channel 361 (HD)
|SaskTel||Channel 161 (SD)
Channel 461 (HD)
|VMedia||Channel 426 (SD)|
World Fishing Network is a Canadian English language Category B specialty channel owned by Keywest Marketing Ltd. and Altitude Sports and Entertainment. World Fishing Network broadcasts fishing-related programming, including recreational and sport fishing and lifestyle programming.
In April 2005, Insight Sports, through its subsidiary Global Fishing Network Ltd., was granted approval by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to launch a channel called Global Fishing network, described as "a national English-language Category 2 specialty programming undertaking devoted to fishing and fishing enthusiasts."
On January 19, 2017, the CRTC approved the sale of Insight Sports' interest in the channel to Keywest Marketing Ltd., a company with assets in both publishing and television productions relating to hunting and fishing, among others.
International and HD
WFN reached its first international distribution agreement in November 2007 with Verizon FiOS in the United States. A few months later, in May 2008, WFN launched a high definition (HD) channel on the American satellite television service Dish Network, called "World Fishing Network HD", a channel with a separate schedule from its standard definition counterpart. The HD channel was added to Verizon FiOS that year. Since WFN's launch on Verizon and Dish Network, it has been added to several other U.S. television providers such as Charter Communications, and television providers in the Caribbean, including Flow Cable in Jamaica.
On January 10, 2011, WFN announced that it had sold a 50% stake in its U.S. operations to Altitude Sports and Entertainment (ASE). Also, in 2011, Altitude Sports and Entertainment purchased a 19.9% interest in the Canadian channel through its division Altitude WFN ULC. In July 2015, Insight Sports sold its remaining interest in the US channel to Kroenke Sports Enterprises, parent of ASE, leaving its remaining operations in the brand solely in Canada.
Although officially named World Fishing Network since its launch, the channel had often been referred to solely as WFN or WFN: World Fishing Network; however, with the rebranding of the channel in January 2014, the channel dropped the WFN moniker and officially began referring itself to solely as World Fishing Network.
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2005-151 CRTC 2005-04-13
- The TUESDAY INTERVIEW: Insight Sports Networks president and COO Mark Rubinstein Cartt.ca 2005-12-20
- CRTC Application Number 2016-0815-0; Approval Date 2017-01-19
- 'WFN: World Fishing Network' and Verizon Award 'Deprived Angler' a New Boat; NewsCenter.Verizon.com; 2008-11-06.
- World Fishing Network HD Secures Carriage Agreement with DISH Network; ChannelCanada.com; 2008-05-14
- WFN: World Fishing Network HD Launches on Verizon FiOS in the New York City Metro Market; Reuters.com; 2008-08-19.
- AllCoastMedia.com, 2009-03-29.
- WFN: World Fishing Network to Launch In High Definition on Rogers Cable on September 2, CNW, 31 August 2010
- WFN Catches Carriage Pact With Videotron, Launches In HD With Rogers Cable Multichannel News August 31, 2010
- Altitude Sports Hooks Partnership In World Fishing Network Multichannel News, 2011-01-10
- CRTC ownership chart CRTC
- KSE Buys Remaining Interest in World Fishing Network MultichannelNews.com 07-14-15
- World Fishing Network unveils new brand identity PRNewsChannel.com 01-16-14