|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Headquarters||Los Angeles, California, United States|
Number of locations
World Gym International is an American fitness center founded in 1976 by Joe Gold during the glory days of "Muscle Beach" in Venice Beach, California. Joe Gold is also the founder of Gold's Gym, another globally leading gym, which he sold in 1973. The gym was often frequented by celebrities and famous bodybuilders such as Arnold Schwarzenegger, Lou Ferrigno and Dave Draper. Since that time, World Gym has evolved into an internationally recognized brand.
World Gym currently has approximately over 220 franchises worldwide located across six continents, 20 countries, and territories. Currently owned by the Cammilleri family, their plans include further global expansion of the franchise network and the opening of regional flagship gyms.
Joe Gold started Gold's gym, also known as the "mecca for bodybuilding" in 1965. Many world-famous bodybuilders trained there. Gold sold the gym and the rights to the name in 1973 and went back out to sea as a sea merchant. When he came back, he regretted that he had sold the rights to his name. Since he couldn't use "Gold" in its name, he opened a new gym under the name of World Gym. The new gym was unique because all the equipment was handmade by Joe Gold himself. When Joe opened World Gym, he received the support of all the big bodybuilders and they worked out at his gym. Joe sold World Gym to a bodybuilder named Steve Davis, who later sold it for $25,000. Joe Gold passed away in 2004, at the age of 82. World Gym is presently owned by the Cammilleri family.
Joe Gold's gym was where Arnold Schwarzenegger built and sculpted himself when he first came to America. Schwarzenegger has been California's governor, a movie actor, and a former Mr.Olympia. For the film Pumping Iron, released in 1977, Schwarzenegger's training was recorded in Joe's gym. Peter Brockway said in an interview that the gym earned $20 million before expenses.
Products and services
World Gym International offer products for workout gear such as sports bags, water bottles, nutrition products, accessories, gym clothing and apparel. There are also franchise opportunities available at World Gym International. World Gym International offers gymnasium services, equipment for fitness and physical exercise, fitness and exercise facilities, exercise classes, fitness and nutrition seminars, personal training in nutrition, exercise and fitness, training in fitness, mixed martial arts, boxing and kickboxing. World Gym International also holds exhibitions or contests for athletics, bodybuilding and mixed martial arts.
List of Countries
Over 200 franchised locations in 20 countries and territories
- Costa Rica
- El Salvador
- Cayman Islands
- Hong Kong
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States
Joe Gold Lifetime Achievement Award
Year Joe Gold Lifetime Achievement Award 2015 Mike Uretz 2014 Jim Brown 2013 Lou Ferrigno 2012 Ric Drasin
- Drasin, Ric (July 26, 2016). "The Birth Of World Gym". Huffington Post. Retrieved March 30, 2017.
- "Five Years Later, Guy Cammilleri Is Still Leading World Gym International Around the World". clubindustry.com. Retrieved March 30, 2017.
- "World Gym Franchise Information". Entrepreneur. Retrieved March 30, 2017.
- "World Gym International, LLC: CEO and Executives – Bloomberg". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved March 30, 2017.
- "World Gym International Celebrates 40 Years of Seriously Fun Fitness at 2016 Las Vegas Convention". iClubs. October 26, 2016. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- "ABC Announced as Preferred Vendor for World Gym". www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/lnacademic. India Pharma News. January 3, 2012.
- "Founder of Gold's Gym and World Gym". www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/lnacademic. National Post (Canada).
- "T.R. World Gym, LLC Company Information". D&B Hoovers. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- "World Gym International, LLC: Private Company Information – Bloomberg". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved March 30, 2017.
- "USPTO grants trade mark 'WORLD GYM' to World Gym International IP (California)". www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/lnacademic. US Official News. March 11, 2014.
- "2012 World Gym Convention". Builders and Lifters. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- World Gym Official website
|This article about a corporation or company involved in entertainment, leisure, sports and/or tourism is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|