World Medical Card
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Industry||Health information technology|
|Dr. Michael Nobel, Board member|
|Products||Personal health records
|Slogan||For Safer Medical Treatment|
World Medical Card is a product and registered trademark belonging to WMC Technologies AS, a Norwegian company headquartered in Bergen, Norway. The company's business is health information technology, more specifically supplying personal health records.
World Medical Center was established in 1998 to create a system to improve safety for people requiring immediate medical treatment by doctors unfamiliar with the patients' medical history.
In cooperation with specialists in acute medicine and the University of Bergen, the company developed an international, personal medical card (World Medical Card) to allow individuals to carry essential medical information with them at all times and everywhere in the world.
Early experimental versions included smart card and data matrix versions, but those were abandoned as they required specific infrastructure to be installed at the facility receiving the patient in order to be useful. The latest generation of cards include the information in printed letters, but the content is only accessible by physically cutting open the card, which reveals an emergency code that provides the medical professional access to a read-only web profile describing the card holder.
The current "World Medical Card" comprises three main elements:
- A web-based health profile that allows the user to add and edit personal health data ("onWeb")
- A mobile app that gives access to the same data, translated to a language of choice ("onMobile")
- A sealed physical card containing a condensed summary of the holder's health information ("onCard")
The product's main purpose is to allow the user to manage and access vital personal data such as:
- adverse drug reactions
- emergency contacts
- important personal documents (by upload)
- medical history
- "Entry in the Norwegian business register". 28 June 2010.
- "World Health Organization on ICD-10". 28 June 2010.
- "World Health Organization on ATC". 28 June 2010.
- "World Medical Card - onWeb". 25 November 2009. Archived from the original on March 7, 2012.
- "World Medical Card - onMobile". 25 November 2009. Archived from the original on March 7, 2012.
- "World Medical Card - onCard". 25 November 2009. Archived from the original on March 7, 2012.