World Meeting of Families
The World Meeting of Families Congress is a gathering of the Roman Catholic Church that has occurred every three years since 1994. It is organized by the Dicastery for Laity, Family and Life, which "promotes the pastoral care of families, protects their rights and dignity in the Church and in civil society, so that they may ever be more able to fulfill their duties." It is the biggest gathering of Catholic families in the world. The most recent meeting took place in Dublin and the next meeting is scheduled to take place in Rome, Italy in 2021.
|1994||Rome||Italy||The Family, the Heart of the Civilization of Love|
|1997||Rio de Janeiro||Brazil||The Family: Gift and Commitment, the hope of humanity|
|2000||Rome||Italy||Children: Springtime of the Family and of the Church||Part of the Great Jubilee|
|2003||Manila||Philippines||The Christian Family: Good News for the Third Millennium.||Pope John Paul II was unable to attend due to the progression of his Parkinson's disease.|
|2006||Valencia||Spain||Handing on the Faith in the Family|
|2009||Mexico City||Mexico||The Family: Teacher of Human and Christian Values|
|2012||Milan||Italy||Family, Work & Celebration|
|2015||Philadelphia||United States||Love is our mission: The family fully alive|
|2018||Dublin||Ireland||The Gospel of the Family: Joy for the World||Pope Francis's visit to Ireland was centred on the meeting.|
|2021||Rome||Italy||5th Anniversary of the Apostolic Exhortation of Amoris laetitia and Synod of Youth|
- O'Halloran, Marie. "Pope Francis may visit Ireland for world meeting in Dublin". The Irish Times. Archived from the original on 28 September 2015. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "Speculation Pope Francis may visit Ireland in 2018". RTÉ News. 27 September 2015. Archived from the original on 28 September 2015. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "Contest Winners Announcement". World Meeting of Families. 2015. Archived from the original on 5 September 2015. Retrieved 22 August 2018 – via Wayback Machine.
- "Viaggio Apostolico del Santo Padre a Cuba, negli Stati Uniti d'America e Visita alla Sede dell'Organizzazione delle Nazioni Unite (19–28 settembre 2015) | Francesco" [Apostolic Visit of the Holy Father to Cuba, and the United States and the United Nations (19-28 September)]. w2.vatican.va (in Italian). Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "A guide to seeing the pope in Philadelphia on the last weekend in September". Associated Press. Fox News. 16 September 2015. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "Apostolic Constitution Pastor Bonus". Holy See. art. 139. Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- "About the Event". World Meeting Of Families. 2015. Archived from the original on 28 September 2015. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "World meetings of families". Dicastery for Laity, Family and Life. 2017. Archived from the original on 16 November 2017.
- "Next World Meeting of Families will be in Rome in 2021". Aleteia. 27 August 2018. Archived from the original on 27 August 2018. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
The next event will be the 10th WMOF, after the first was also held in Rome in 1994... This will be the third time that the Eternal City hosts the World Meeting; it did as well in 1994 (the first WMOF) and during the Great Jubilee of 2000. The others have been held in: Rio de Janeiro (Brazil, 1997), Rome (2000), Manila (Philippines, 2003), Valencia (Spain, 2006), Mexico City (Mexico, 2009 ), Milan (Italy, 2012), Philadelphia (USA, 2015) and finally Dublin.