World Mental Health Day
|World Mental Health Day|
A rally for World Mental Health Day 2014 in Salem, Tamil Nadu
|Observed by||World Federation for Mental Health, World Health Organization, and member organizations of WFMH|
|Next time||10 October 2021|
World Mental Health Day (10 October) is an international day for global mental health education, awareness and advocacy against social stigma. It was first celebrated in 1992 at the initiative of the World Federation for Mental Health, a global mental health organization with members and contacts in more than 150 countries. This day, each October, thousands of supporters come to celebrate this annual awareness program to bring attention to mental illness and its major effects on peoples' lives worldwide. In some countries this day is part of an awareness week, such as Mental Health Week in Australia.
World Mental Health Day was celebrated for the first time on October 10, 1992 at the initiative of Deputy Secretary General Richard Hunter. Up until 1994, the day had no specific theme other than general promoting mental health advocacy and educating the public.
In 1994 World Mental Health Day was celebrated with a theme for the first time at the suggestion of then Secretary General Eugene Brody. The theme was “Improving the Quality of Mental Health Services throughout the World.”
World Mental Health Day is supported by WHO through raising awareness on mental health issues using its strong relationships with the Ministries of health and civil society organizations across the globe. WHO also supports with developing technical and communication material.
World Mental Health Day themes
|2020||Move for mental health: Increased investment in mental health|
|2019||Mental Health Promotion and Suicide Prevention|
|2018||Young people and mental health in a changing world|
|2017||Mental health in the workplace|
|2016||Psychological First Aid|
|2015||Dignity in Mental Health|
|2014||Living with Schizophrenia|
|2013||Mental health and older adults|
|2012||Depression: A Global Crisis|
|2011||The Great Push: Investing in Mental Health|
|2010||Mental Health and Chronic Physical Illnesses|
|2009||Mental Health in Primary Care: Enhancing Treatment and Promoting Mental Health|
|2008||Making Mental Health a Global Priority: Scaling up Services through Citizen Advocacy and Action|
|2007||Mental Health in A Changing World: The Impact of Culture and Diversity|
|2006||Building Awareness – Reducing Risk: Mental Illness & Suicide|
|2005||Mental and Physical Health Across the Life Span|
|2004||The Relationship Between Physical & Mental Health: co-occurring disorders|
|2003||Emotional and Behavioural Disorders of Children & Adolescents|
|2002||The Effects of Trauma and Violence on Children & Adolescents|
|2000-01||Mental Health and Work|
|1999||Mental Health and Aging|
|1998||Mental Health and Human Rights|
|1997||Children and Mental Health|
|1996||Women and Mental Health|
- Global Mental Health
- Mental Illness Awareness Week
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
- World Health Day
- World Federation for Mental Health
- Jenkins, Rachel; Lynne Friedli; Andrew McCulloch; Camilla Parker (2002). Developing a National Mental Health Policy. Psychology Press. p. 65. ISBN 978-1-84169-295-1.
- Watson, Robert W. (2006). White House Studies Compendium, Volume 5. Nova Science Publishers. p. 69. ISBN 978-1-60021-542-1.
- "World Mental Health Day". Mental Health in Family Medicine. 7 (1): 59–60. 2010.
- Mngoma, Nomusa F.; Ayonrinde, Oyedeji A.; Fergus, Stevenson; Jeeves, Alan H.; Jolly, Rosemary J. (2020-04-20). "Distress, desperation and despair: anxiety, depression and suicidality among rural South African youth". International Review of Psychiatry. 0 (0): 1–11. doi:10.1080/09540261.2020.1741846. ISSN 0954-0261. PMID 32310008.
- Mental Health Week: 7 Ways You Can Get Involved 2 October 2015 Retrieved 15 October 2015
- "World Mental Health Day History". World Federation for Mental Health. Retrieved 2019-08-21.
- "WHO | World Mental Health Day". WHO. Retrieved 2019-08-21.
- "WHO | Previous World Mental Health Days".
- "World Mental Health Day History - World Federation for Mental Health". World Federation for Mental Health. Retrieved 2018-10-04.
- Lancet, The (2020-10-10). "Mental health: time to invest in quality". The Lancet. 396 (10257): 1045. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(20)32110-3. ISSN 0140-6736.