World Mime Day
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
World Mime Day is a worldwide initiative of the World Mime Organisation to celebrate the Art of Mime and non-verbal communication on March 22 the day of birth of legendary french mime artist Marcel Marceau. It is being celebrated since 2011 in more and more countries each year on four continents. World Mime Day is not officially recognized by UNESCO.
- Marko Stojanović, a mime artist from Serbia and president of the World Mime Organisation.
- Ofer Blum, a mime artist from Israel and vice-president of the World Mime Organisation.
- Jean Bernard Laclotte, a mime artist from France.
All three of them are former students of Marcel Marceau.
World Mime Day is one of those ideas that occur on different sides of the planet in almost the same time and it should belong to all humanity. The three initiators are probably not the only people that thought of establishing the World Mime Day under this or any other name/title.
In 1998 Israeli mime artist Ofer Blum came to Serbia, at that time still called Yugoslavia for a short tour organised by Marko Stojanovic, his friend and classmate from Marcel Marceau International Mime School in Paris. It is than that Blum and Stojanovic first spoke about establishing a World Mime Organisation, not yet under that name and a World Mime Day or as they called it at that time "International Day of Mime". Marcel Marceau was still alive, so was his school but unfortunately Blum and Stojanovic were not aware of the seriousness of their ideas and they were also preoccupied with their careers. It was only in 2004 that World Mime Organisation was officially registered as a Non-Governmental and Non-Profit organisation in Serbia, where the paperwork was the easiest and the World Mime Day idea was back "on the table" (where it stayed till 2011). In 2007, Marceau died and again Blum and Stojanovic came back to the idea of establishing the World Mime Day to celebrate the day when Marceau was born - March 22.
In April 2011 Jean Bernard Laclotte has sent an e-mail to Stojanovic with the same idea and a developed concept of the "Journée Mondiale du Mime" except that he wanted to mark the day when Marceau died 22 September. Thanks to Laclotte’s initiative "Journée Mondiale du Mime" was celebrated in several countries around the world on September 22, 2011. World Mime Day is celebrated on March 22 in most of the countries but there are still few countries, especially in South America celebrating it on 22 September.
World Mime Organisation recognises "Journée Mondiale du Mime 2011" as the first World Mime Day celebrated.
World Mime Day is celebrated in different ways in different countries These are some examples:
- Serbia, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Armenia - Local Wikipedia Chapters with the World Mime Organisation and local mime organizations - World Mime Day Wiki edit-a-thon
- Armenia - Yerevan State Pantomime Theatre - Shows
- Georgia - Georgian State Pantomime Theatre - Flash mob in the city of Tbilisi
- Bangladesh - Bangladesh Mime Federation - National Mime Fest
- Indonesia - Free Mime Shows
- Poland - Warszawskie Centrum Pantomimy & portal PantomimaPolska.pl - video screeninings, book promotions, public discusions
- Slovakia - Divadlo Komika - shows
- India - Mime Art & Culture - Artists performing in schools and colleges
- United States - Mime Thatre Studio - workshops
- "World Mime Day". Teatr Dla Vas. Teatr Dla Vas. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "World Mime Day". World Mime Organisation. World Mime Organisation. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- "Short History of WMD". Stockholm University of the Arts. Stockholm University of the Arts. Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- "Journée Mondiale du Mime". Journée Mondiale du Mime. Journée Mondiale du Mime. Retrieved 22 September 2011.
- "Hoy se celebra el Dia Internacional del Mimo". El Impulso. El Impulso. 22 September 2014.
- "World Mime Day Wiki edit-a-thon". Wikimedia. www.wikimedia.org. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "World Mime Day Wiki edit-a-thon 2017". Wikimedia. Wikimedia.org. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "World Mime Day - Georgia". www.tbilisilife.ge. www.tbilisilife.ge. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "মঙ্গলবার-থেকে-তিনদিনের-'জাতীয়-মূকাভিনয়-উৎসব'". www.prothom-alo.com. www.prothom-alo.com. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- Nugraha, Arie. "Gerak Aktor Pantomim Bandung Bertahan dalam Keterbatasan". www.liputan6.com. Liputan6. Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- "World Mime Day". Arah. www.arah.com. Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- "Światowy Dzień Pantomimy". Pantomima Polska. pantomimapolska.pl. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "Divadlo Komika". Divadlo Komika. komika.sk. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- Motling, Kunal. "Kunal Motling". Gigstart. www.gigstart.com.
- Salm, Lorin Eric. "Mime Theatre Studio Celebrates World Mime Day". Mime Theatre Studio. Mime Theatre Studio. Retrieved 22 March 2017.