WorldPride Mural Project
The WorldPride Mural Project, also called the World Mural Project, is a multi-location public art installation project of murals, in New York City, created by local and international artists and allies to “speak to the lived LGBTQ+ experience”. The fifty graffiti murals were commissioned to be created in time for the June 2019 50th anniversary of the 1969 Stonewall Riots at the Stonewall Inn, widely considered the spark of the modern LGBTQ rights movement. The murals are spread among New York City’s five boroughs (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Queens, and the Bronx). It’s a collaboration between NYC Pride, production and curation partner, LISA Project NYC, founding partner, HSBC Bank, and significant supporting partner, Macy’s. The project’s goal is to foster “public dialogue on LGBTQ+ rights and queer art throughout New York City”.
The fifty graffiti murals were commissioned to be created in time for the June 2019 50th anniversary of the 1969 Stonewall Riots at the Stonewall Inn, widely considered the spark of the modern LGBTQ rights movement. It’s a collaboration between NYC Pride, production and curation partner, LISA Project NYC, founding partner, HSBC, and significant supporting partner, Macy’s. The project’s goal is to foster “public dialogue on LGBTQ+ rights and queer art throughout New York City”.
NYC Pride’s executive director, Chris Frederick, stated “Art, in all its forms, has always been an integral means of expression in the LGBTQIA+ community, and particularly meaningful to the fabric of New York City’s culture,” and “street art is a poetic example of this expression”. Artists creating works include: Buff Monster, Tatyana Fazlalizadeh, Nomad Clan, Kunle Martins aka Earsnot IRAK Crew, Gianni Lee, STIK and Solus.
In early June 2019 the first official event of Stonewall 50 – WorldPride NYC 2019’s Pride month was an “art-focused soirée” at the Arlo Hotel to kickoff the project. The first mural of the 50 was installed in Arlo NoMad’s rooftop bar, A.R.T. NoMad. It was designed by Wilfredo “Bio” Feliciano, who started in the early eighties at the height of the New York City subway graffiti movement. Arlo SoHo’ Courtyard will also host a mural, this one by Indie184, an artist inspired by abstract expressionism and pop art.
Buff Monster‘s is the third, and largest installation of the fifty, measuring 94 feet wide by 31 feet high, featuring a rainbow motif unifying characters in “various stages of the struggle and triumph of the LGBTQIA+ community”. It took the artist and two assistants a full seven days to complete the work, which did not include the preparation and priming done by the LISA Project.
Confirmed locations include:
- East 14th Street & Avenue A (17 Avenue A);
- 151 E 3rd St. (150 E 3rd St);
- Chrystie Street & Broome Street;
- 34 W 28th St.; 50 E 125th St.;
- 265 Lafayette St.;
- 208 W 29th St.;
- 7th Avenue & West 22nd Street;
- 36 Avenue A;
- 146 Delancey St.;
- 74 Broad St.;
- 188 Lafayette St.;
- 50 Avenue A;
- 150 E 2nd St.;
- Macy’s 34th Street
- 167 Havemeyer St.;
- 172 Grand St.;
- 175 Bedford Ave.;
- 240 S 3rd St.;
- 280 Bedford Ave.;
- 509 Driggs Ave.;
- 556 Driggs Ave.;
- 880 4th Ave.;
- 335 Graham Ave.
Staten Island locations:
- 354 Front St.;
- 1373 Bay Street (wall and gate);
- 25 Victory Blvd.;
- Port Richmond Ave.
- 9-20 Main Ave Halletts Point Welling Court.;
- 11-0 30th Ave.;
- 11-65 Welling Court;
- 18-3 27th Ave.;
- 100-10 27th Ave.;
- 27-40 12th St.;
- 31-27 12th St.;
- 35-28 12th St.;
- 27-01 12th St.;
- 8-67 Astoria Blvd.;
- 35-28 12th St.;
- 11-12 Main Ave.
- 40 Bruckner Blvd East;
- 138th Street & Rider Ave.;
- 171 Lincoln Ave. Walnut Avenue;
- 125 Lincoln Ave.
- "WorldPride Announces Groundbreaking Project • Instinct Magazine". Instinct Magazine. 2019-05-17. Retrieved 2019-06-12.
- "NYC Pride Announces Route for WorldPride 2019". Instinct Magazine. 2019-03-20. Retrieved 2019-06-12.
- "50 colorful murals will crop up around the city for Pride". am New York. Retrieved 2019-06-12.
- "NYC Artists & Top Brands Unite to Kick Off World Pride 2019 • Instinct Magazine". Instinct Magazine. 2019-06-08. Retrieved 2019-06-13.
- "Arlo Plays Host to Groundbreaking WorldPride Mural Project". Arlo Hotels. 2019-05-22. Retrieved 2019-06-13.
- "Buff Monster | Street Artist | Blog". buffmonster. Retrieved 2019-06-13.
- "WorldPride NYC Announces "The World Mural Project"". WorldTravelBlog. 2019-05-23. Retrieved 2019-06-13.