World NGO Day
|World NGO Day|
|Date(s)||27 February (each year)|
|Inaugurated||27 February, 2014|
|Most recent||27 February|
|Participants||Marked in 89 countries (2010-2018)|
|Organized by||NGOs, NPOs, CSOs, Charities, International organizations, Civil society, Companies and others.|
World NGO Day is an international calendar day annually observed on the 27th of February. Officially recognized and declared by the 12 member countries of the IX Baltic Sea NGO Forum of the Council of the Baltic Sea States in 2010 and first time marked by the UN, EU leaders and international organizations in 2014.
World NGO Day, February 27, was established by the humanitarian Mārcis Liors Skadmanis. World NGO Day was officially recognized by the Baltic Sea NGO Forum of the Council of the Baltic Sea States on the 17th April 2010. The member countries of the Baltic Sea NGO Forum were Belarus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Russia, Norway and Sweden. World NGO Day was officially adopted into the X Baltic Sea NGO Forum’s Final Statement Resolution on the 23rd-25th April 2012, part of the German CBSS Presidency of the Council of the Baltic Sea States. The Forum was taking place at Humboldt University in Berlin, Germany.
On 27 February 2014, the Minister for International Development Pekka Haavisto, Executive Director of United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) Jan Mattsson, European Commissioner for Development Andris Piebalgs, Secretary General of the Secretariat to the Nordic Council, Britt Bohlin, UNESCO Assistant Director-General Eric Falt and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Administrator Helen Clark, former Minister of Women’s Affairs of Iran Mahnaz Afkhami and NGO leaders, marked the first commemoration of the World NGO Day in Helsinki, Finland.
|UNDP on World NGO Day – UNDP video statement by Helen Clark, 8th Administrator of UNDP and Former Prime Minister of New Zealand, February 27, 2014|
|European Commissioner for Development on World NGO Day – European Commission video statement by Andris Piebalgs, European Commissioner for Development, February 27, 2014.|
World NGO Day aims to inspire people to become more actively involved within NGOs and encourage a greater symbiosis between NGOs and both the public and private sector. The universal concept of the World NGO Day is Celebrate, Commemorate and Collaborate the various NGOs around the world, and the people behind them.
World NGO Day is a day for NGOs around the globe to share knowledge and experiences with one another. It aims to educate individuals worldwide on NGOs and their impact. The World NGO Day provides an opportunity to honour and remember NGO founders, employees, volunteers, members and supporters.
Past and present supporters include UNDP, UNESCO, UNOPS, European Union External Action Service, European Commissioner for Development, Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, Nelson Mandela Foundation, Cigna, Finland's Slot Machine Association – RAY; Your Public Interest Registry, WANGO, The NGO World; Ubuntu Education Fund, Non-profit Tech for Good in USA; Afghan Institute of Learning, AIESEC; WWF, Amnesty International, Oxfam, International Medical Corps, World Vision and many others. City Mayors like Sergey Sobyanin, Mayor of Moscow (Russia); Lin Chia-lung, Mayor of Taichung City (Taiwan). Corporates like Johnson & Johnson (USA); Bank of America (USA); “du” Emirates Telecommunications Company (EITC) (Dubai, UAE) and others.
Around the world
Each year, World NGO Day is celebrated from New Zealand and Australia, to the North and South Americas, bringing together supporters from the NGO sector, international and government leaders, multi and bilateral organisations, private sectors, communities, teachers, learners and experts in the field.
- United Nations:
- European Union:
World NGO Day was marked in 89 countries, six continents between 2010-2018.
- United Kingdom: World NGO Day Initiative was introduced at the UK House of Commons and the House of Lords (UK Parliament) in 2012.
- Bahrain: H.E. Dr Fatima Mohammed Albalooshi, Minister of Social Development, the Kingdom of Bahrain supported World NGO Day as an official international calendar day in 2013.
- Finland: International Development Minister Pekka Haavisto, Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland was supporting and marking the first World NGO Day globally in 2014.
- Pakistan: World NGO Day is particularly popular in Pakistan.
- Seychelles: Seychelles observed World NGO Day for the first time under the patronage of Citizens Engagement Platform Seychelles (Ceps) in 2017.
- Russia: World NGO Day 2018 (Russian: Всемирный день НКО) was marked for the first time by Mayor of Moscow, Sergey Sobyanin. Mayor of Moscow launched a $7m grant fund for NGO projects and hosted an honorary event in Moscow to reward 41 Russian NGO leaders from different sectors.
- Taiwan: In honour of World NGO Day 2018, Mayor of Taichung City, Lin Chia-lung announced his plans to open an international iNGO Center in Taichung and develop Taichung into an iNGO city.
EU - Official statements
Each year European External Action Service issues an official statement on the occasion of World NGO Day. The European External Action Service (EEAS) is the diplomatic service and foreign and defence ministry of the European Union (EU).
- 2018 Statement by High Representative/ Vice-President Federica Mogherini on the occasion of World NGO Day, Bruxelles, 26/02/2018 - 20:35, UNIQUE ID: 180226_23
- 2017 Statement on the occasion of the World NGO Day 2017, Bruxelles, 27/02/2017 - 20:05, UNIQUE ID: 170227_11
- International non-governmental organization
- Non-governmental organization
- Voluntary sector
- "World NGO Day - Timeline". worldngoday.org. Retrieved 2018-07-16.
- "International community celebrates World NGO Day". baltic-course.com. Retrieved 2018-02-26.
- "World NGO Day - International Celebration and Recognition". Finnbay.com. 2014-03-06. Retrieved 2016-08-26.[dead link]
- "Resolution of the IX Baltic Sea NGO Forum, 17 April 2010, Vilnius" (PDF). nvo.lv. Retrieved 2010-04-10.
- "Baltic Sea NGO Forum 2010". 3sektorius.lt. Retrieved 2016-08-26.[dead link]
- "MeriNews: World NGO Day: Collaborate, network and cooperate to maximise outcomes". merinews.com. Retrieved 2017-02-27.[dead link]
- "Haavisto urges NGOs to ensure quality services". Finlandtimes.fi. 2014-02-28. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "The EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region and the civil society in the region" (PDF). Bsr2012.eu. Retrieved 2016-08-26.[dead link]
- "X Baltic Sea NGO Forum 2012". Bsngoforum.net. 2012-04-25. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "Baltic Sea Days" (PDF). Bsssc.com. April 2012. Retrieved 2016-08-26.[dead link]
- "X. Baltic Sea NGO Forum: "Social Capital for a sustainable Baltic Sea Region"" (PDF). Nvo.lv. April 2012. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "World NGO Day 2014 Forum begins in Helsinki today | national | Finland Times". Finlandtimes.fi. 2014-02-27. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "World NGO Day To Be Hosted in Finland". Efa-net.eu. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "World NGO Day, Feb. 27, was established by a millennial entrepreneur". globalyoungvoices.com. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "Во Всемирный день НКО Мэр Москвы вручит благодарности лидерам столичных некоммерческих организаций". mos.ru. Retrieved 2018-02-22.
- "響應227世界非政府組織日 台中市打造台灣國際NGO中心". aichung.gov.tw. Retrieved 2018-02-27.
- "World NGO Day". jnj.com. Retrieved 2018-02-27.
- "A First Step for Small Businesses Wanting to Support a Social Cause". smallbusinessonlinecommunity.bankofamerica.com. Retrieved 2018-02-20.
- "du Celebrates World NGO Day with a Health and Safety Session for Community Organisations". albawaba.com. Retrieved 2018-02-25.
- "Address by Jan Mattsson, Executive Director, United Nations Office for Project Services, World NGO Day 2014, Helsinki 27 February 2014" (PDF). unops.org. Retrieved 2014-02-27.[dead link]
- "Statement on the occasion of the World NGO Day 2018". eeas.europa.eu. Retrieved 2018-02-27.
- "Statement on the occasion of the World NGO Day 2017". eeas.europa.eu. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "World NGO Day Discussions at the House of Commons, UK Parliament". balticnews.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- "Ministers support the World NGO Day Initiative - New International Day". issuu.com. Retrieved 2013-08-11.
- "World NGO Day Initiative - Major Activities of 2013". kontax.com. Retrieved 2013-08-11.[dead link]
- "NGOs pledge to bring change in society on world day". Nation.com.pk. 2016-02-28. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "Nation: Seychelles observes World NGO Day for first time". 2017-02-27.
- "Собянин в день НКО наградил лидеров некоммерческих организаций". tvc.ru. Retrieved 2018-02-27.
- "響應227世界非政府組織日 台中成立國際NGO中心". bldaily.com. Retrieved 2018-02-27.