World NGO Day
|World NGO Day|
|Date(s)||27 February (each year)|
|Inaugurated||27 February 2014|
|Most recent||27 February|
|Participants||Marked in 96 countries (2010-2019)|
|Organized by||NGOs, NPOs, CSOs, Charities, International organizations, Civil society, Companies and others.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: World NGO Day|
World NGO Day is an international calendar day annually observed on 27 February. Officially recognized and declared by the 12 member countries of the IX Baltic Sea NGO Forum of the Council of the Baltic Sea States in 2010 and first time marked by the UN, EU leaders and international organizations in 2014.
World NGO Day, February 27, was established by Mārcis Liors Skadmanis. It was officially recognized by the Baltic Sea NGO Forum of the Council of the Baltic Sea States on 17 April 2010.
The member countries of the Baltic Sea NGO Forum were Belarus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Russia, Norway and Sweden. World NGO Day was officially adopted into the X Baltic Sea NGO Forum’s Final Statement Resolution on 23-25 April 2012, part of the German CBSS Presidency of the Council of the Baltic Sea States. The Forum was taking place at Humboldt University in Berlin, Germany.
On 27 February 2014, the Minister for International Development Pekka Haavisto, Executive Director of United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) Jan Mattsson, European Commissioner for Development Andris Piebalgs, Secretary General of the Secretariat to the Nordic Council, Britt Bohlin, UNESCO Assistant Director-General Eric Falt and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Administrator Helen Clark, former Minister of Women’s Affairs of Iran Mahnaz Afkhami and NGO leaders, marked the first commemoration of the World NGO Day in Helsinki, Finland.
|UNDP on World NGO Day – UNDP video statement by Helen Clark, 8th Administrator of UNDP and Former Prime Minister of New Zealand, February 27, 2014|
|European Commissioner for Development on World NGO Day – European Commission video statement by Andris Piebalgs, European Commissioner for Development, February 27, 2014.|
World NGO Day aims to inspire people to become more actively involved within NGOs and encourage a greater symbiosis between NGOs and both the public and private sector. The universal concept of the World NGO Day is Celebrate, Commemorate and Collaborate the various NGOs around the world, and the people behind them.
World NGO Day is a day for NGOs around the globe to share knowledge and experiences with one another. It aims to educate individuals worldwide on NGOs and their impact. The World NGO Day provides an opportunity to honour and remember NGO founders, employees, volunteers, members and supporters.
Past and present supporters include UNDP, UNESCO, UNOPS, European Union External Action Service, European Commissioner for Development, Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, Nelson Mandela Foundation, Cigna, Finland's Slot Machine Association – RAY; Your Public Interest Registry, WANGO, The NGO World; Ubuntu Education Fund, Nonprofit Tech for Good in USA; Afghan Institute of Learning, AIESEC; WWF, Amnesty International, Oxfam, International Medical Corps, World Vision, FIFA and many others. City Mayors like Sergey Sobyanin, Mayor of Moscow (Russia); Lin Chia-lung, Mayor of Taichung City (Taiwan). Corporates like Johnson & Johnson (USA); Bank of America (USA); Microsoft, “du” Emirates Telecommunications Company (EITC) (Dubai, UAE) and others.
Around the world
Each year, World NGO Day is celebrated from New Zealand and Australia, to the North and South Americas, bringing together supporters from the NGO sector, international and government leaders, multi and bilateral organisations, private sectors, communities, teachers, learners and experts in the field.
- United Nations:
- European Union:
World NGO Day was marked in more than 96 countries, six continents between 2010-2020.
- 2020 - Queensland Government has issued a Media Statement by The Honourable Di Farmer, Minister for Child Safety, Youth and Women and Minister for the Prevention of Domestic and Family Violence on World NGO Day 2020.
- The Governor of Western Australia Kim Beazley has issued a statement on the occasion of World NGO Day.
- 2019 - Australian Government, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has issued an official statement: "On World NGO Day, we recognise the work of our Australian NGO partners in fostering greater prosperity and stability across the Indo-Pacific region and beyond."
- Canada: Global Affairs Canada has issued the Statement by The Honourable Karina Gould, Minister of International Development for World NGO Day 2020.
- Bahrain: H.E. Dr Fatima Mohammed Albalooshi, Minister of Social Development, the Kingdom of Bahrain supported World NGO Day as an official international calendar day in 2013.
- Mexico: Each year World NGO Day (Spanish: Día Mundial de las ONG) is celebrated in the State of Mexico, organised by the Government of the State of Mexico.
- Finland: International Development Minister Pekka Haavisto, Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland was supporting and marking the first World NGO Day globally in 2014.
- Pakistan: World NGO Day is particularly popular in Pakistan. World NGO Day has been celebrated with activities in cities across the country.
- Russia: World NGO Day (Russian: Всемирный день НКО) has been marked by Mayor of Moscow Sergey Sobyanin, Acting Governor of Saint Petersburg Alexander Beglov, and also marked in other cities like Mari El, Gorno-Altaysk and many other cities.
- Seychelles: Seychelles observed World NGO Day for the first time under the patronage of Citizens Engagement Platform Seychelles (Ceps) in 2017.
- Taiwan: In honour of World NGO Day 2018, Mayor of Taichung City, Lin Chia-lung announced his plans to open an international iNGO Center in Taichung and develop Taichung into an iNGO city.
- United Kingdom: World NGO Day Initiative was introduced at the UK House of Commons and the House of Lords (UK Parliament) in 2012.
EU - Official statements
Each year European External Action Service issues an official statement on the occasion of World NGO Day. The European External Action Service (EEAS) is the diplomatic service and foreign and defence ministry of the European Union (EU).
- 2020 Statement by the High Representative/Vice-President Josep Borrell on the occasion of World NGO Day, Brussels, 27/02/2020 - 09:00, UNIQUE ID: 200227_13
- 2019 Statement by High Representative/ Vice-President Federica Mogherini on the occasion of World NGO Day, Bruxelles, 26/02/2019 - 12:00, UNIQUE ID: 190225_13
- 2018 Statement by High Representative/ Vice-President Federica Mogherini on the occasion of World NGO Day, Bruxelles, 26/02/2018 - 20:35, UNIQUE ID: 180226_23
- 2017 Statement on the occasion of the World NGO Day 2017, Bruxelles, 27/02/2017 - 20:05, UNIQUE ID: 170227_11
- International non-governmental organization
- Non-governmental organization
- Voluntary sector
- "World NGO Day - Timeline". worldngoday.org. Retrieved 16 July 2018.
- "International community celebrates World NGO Day". baltic-course.com. Retrieved 26 February 2018.
- "World NGO Day - International Celebration and Recognition". Finnbay. 6 March 2014. Archived from the original on 5 August 2016. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- "Resolution of the IX Baltic Sea NGO Forum, 17 April 2010, Vilnius" (PDF). nvo.lv. Retrieved 10 April 2010.
- "Baltic Sea NGO Forum 2010". 3sektorius.lt. Archived from the original on 1 October 2016. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "MeriNews: World NGO Day: Collaborate, network and cooperate to maximise outcomes". merinews.com. Archived from the original on 27 February 2017. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- "Haavisto urges NGOs to ensure quality services". Finlandtimes.fi. 28 February 2014. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "The EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region and the civil society in the region" (PDF). Bsr2012.eu. Archived from the original (PDF) on 24 April 2013. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "X Baltic Sea NGO Forum 2012". Bsngoforum.net. 25 April 2012. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "Baltic Sea Days" (PDF). Bsssc.com. April 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 May 2013. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "X. Baltic Sea NGO Forum: "Social Capital for a sustainable Baltic Sea Region"" (PDF). Nvo.lv. April 2012. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "World NGO Day 2014 Forum begins in Helsinki today | national | Finland Times". Finlandtimes.fi. 27 February 2014. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "World NGO Day To Be Hosted in Finland". Efa-net.eu. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "Fostering positive social change worldwide". fifa.com. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- "World NGO Day, Feb. 27, was established by a millennial entrepreneur". globalyoungvoices.com. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- "Во Всемирный день НКО Мэр Москвы вручит благодарности лидерам столичных некоммерческих организаций". mos.ru. Retrieved 22 February 2018.
- "響應227世界非政府組織日 台中市打造台灣國際NGO中心". aichung.gov.tw. Retrieved 27 February 2018.
- "World NGO Day". jnj.com. Retrieved 27 February 2018.
- "A First Step for Small Businesses Wanting to Support a Social Cause". smallbusinessonlinecommunity.bankofamerica.com. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- "World NGO Day: Celebrate,Commemorate and Collaborate". news.microsoft.com. Retrieved 28 February 2019.
- "du Celebrates World NGO Day with a Health and Safety Session for Community Organisations". albawaba.com. Retrieved 25 February 2018.
- "Address by Jan Mattsson, Executive Director, United Nations Office for Project Services, World NGO Day 2014, Helsinki 27 February 2014" (PDF). unops.org. Archived from the original (PDF) on 3 February 2015. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- "Statement on the occasion of the World NGO Day 2018". eeas.europa.eu. Retrieved 27 February 2018.
- "Statement on the occasion of the World NGO Day 2017". eeas.europa.eu. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- "World NGO Day, 27 February 2019". coe.int. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- "World NGO Day: a moment to honour those who help refugees and migrants, saving lives". assembly.coe.int. Retrieved 26 February 2020.
- "Celebrating World NGO Day". statements.qld.gov.au. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- "World NGO Day – Thursday, 27th February 2020". govhouse.wa.gov.au. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- "Celebrating Australian NGOs on World NGO Day". dfat.gov.au. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- "Statement by Minister of International Development for World NGO Day". canada.ca. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- "Ministers support the World NGO Day Initiative - New International Day". issuu.com. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- "Día Mundial de las ONG´s". edomex.gob.mx. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- "World NGO Day Initiative - Major Activities of 2013". kontax.com. Archived from the original on 28 December 2016. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- "NGOs pledge to bring change in society on world day". Nation.com.pk. 28 February 2016. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "Pakistan celebrates World NGO Day". asiatimes.com. Retrieved 25 February 2019.
- "Собянин в день НКО наградил лидеров некоммерческих организаций". tvc.ru. Retrieved 27 February 2018.
- "CВ Петербурге разработают специальные программы развития паллиативной помощи". topspb.tv. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- "27 февраля отмечают Всемирный день НКО, в Марий Эл их более 700". vpgazeta.ru. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- "Впервые в Горно-Алтайске пройдет День общественных организаций". gorno-altaisk.info. Retrieved 26 February 2019.
- "Nation: Seychelles observes World NGO Day for first time". 2017-02-27.
- "響應227世界非政府組織日 台中成立國際NGO中心". bldaily.com. Retrieved 27 February 2018.
- "World NGO Day Discussions at the House of Commons, UK Parliament". balticnews.co.uk. Retrieved 15 February 2012.