World NGO Day
|World NGO Day|
|Official name||World NGO Day|
|Also called||NGO Day|
|Observed by||All Member states of the CBSS and EU|
|Celebrations||To celebrate and raise awareness of the NGO and NPO sectors|
|Next time||27 February 2022|
World NGO Day is an international day dedicated to recognize, celebrate and honour all non-governmental and nonprofit organisations, and the people behind them that contribute to society all year around. Annually celebrated on 27 February. It was declared by the 12 member countries of the Baltic Sea NGO Forum, Council of the Baltic Sea States in 2010 and recognised by the European External Action Service, European Union. First time it was marked by the UN, EU leaders and international organizations in 2014.
The 27 February, World NGO day, was born in the European Union in 2009,the brainchild of the Latvian British philanthropistMarcis Liors Skadmanis. World NGO Day was officially proposed and declared in 2010, and adopted into the X Baltic Sea NGO Forum’s Final Statement Resolution[disambiguation needed] on 23-25 April 2012 at Humboldt University of Berlin. And acknowledged by representatives from 12 countries, as part of the German CBSS Presidency. The member countries of the Baltic Sea NGO Forum were Belarus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Russia, Norway and Sweden.
The first global inaugural event of World NGO day was hosted by the Ministry for Foreign affairs of Finland on 27 February 2014 in Helsinki, Finland. The international guests were leaders from UNOPS, UNESCO, UNDP, European Union, Nordic Council and international organizations.
World NGO day’s global acclaim has grown significantly, celebrated by various communities, international leaders, city mayors, corporates and many organisations around the world. The day is celebrated in February in more than 89 countries and over six continents. The universal concept of the World NGO Day is to Celebrate, Commemorate and Collaborate - the various NGOs around the world, and the people behind them that contribute to society all year around.
Each year World NGO Day is celebrated in different languages from Australia, Asia, Africa to North and South Americas. For example, the first Pakistani World NGO Day was held on Thursday, 27 February 2014, and was organized by Zafar Iqbal, since then World NGO Day become very popular,bringing together up to 1,000 Pakistani NGO leaders to conferences, awards, workshops, exhibitions on 27 February every year in Islamabad.
Since 2017, each year the European External Action Service (Foreign and Defence Ministry of the European Union) issues the international statement[disambiguation needed] on the occasion of World NGO day. The EEAS indicates the global focus and themes of World NGO Day. Since 2019, World NGO Day is celebrated in Europe by the INGOs Conference of the Council of Europe, Council of Europe. It represents a variety of stakeholders, including representatives of Civil society, Permanent representations of Council of Europe Members States, prominent Human Rights activists, students and members of the Secretariat of the Council of Europe.
- International non-governmental organization
- Non-governmental organization
- Voluntary sector
- "World NGO Day – Thursday, 27th February 2020". govhouse.wa.gov.au. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- "World NGO Day 2021: Recognising selfless work done by social workers". timesnownews.com. Retrieved 27 February 2021.
- "World NGO Day, 27 February 2019". coe.int. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- "With Civil Society no one is left behind". eeas.europa.eu. Retrieved 26 February 2021.
- "World NGO Day 2021 Know Its Significance And Why It Is Celebrated". ndtv.com. Retrieved 27 February 2021.
- "World NGO Day". loginlublin.pl. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- "The meaning of World NGO Day, according to these 4 leaders". thirdsector.com.au. Retrieved 25 February 2021.
- "The rise of NGOs in Latvia – interview with World NGO Day founder". aid-expo.com. Retrieved 13 May 2018.
- "27 februarie – Ziua mondială a ONG-urilor". forbes.ro. Retrieved 27 February 2021.
- "NGO Day ought to inspire people to become more actively involved". ippmedia.com. Retrieved 27 February 2018.
- "World NGO Day, Feb. 27, was established by a millennial entrepreneur". globalyoungvoices.com. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- "World NGO Day 2020 Be the Change". thecsrjournal.in. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- "On World NGO Day raising our voice on shrinking civic space in Europe is more important than ever". europeangreens.eu. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- "The World NGO Day 2014". finlandtimes.fi. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- "Statement by Minister of International Development for World NGO Day". canada.ca. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- "The Honorary Medal 2020 of World NGO Day, The First Mayor in East Asia Presented to Mayor Lu Shiow-yen". english.taichung.gov.tw. Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- "World NGO Day: Celebrate, commemorate and collaborate". news.microsoft.com/. Retrieved 28 February 2019.
- "Fostering positive social change worldwide". fifa.com. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- "Governor receives Honorary World NGO Day Award". govhouse.wa.gov.au. Retrieved 28 April 2021.
- "World NGO Day: Obaseki salutes sacrifices of civil society organisations". vanguardngr.com. Retrieved 26 February 2018.
- "Ceps celebrates World NGO Day". nation.sc. Retrieved 28 February 2020.
- "Celebrating World NGO Day". statements.qld.gov.au. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- "World NGO Day Minister Celebrates Partners". von.gov.ng/. Retrieved 27 February 2021.
- "Día Mundial de las ONG´s". edomex.gob.mx. Retrieved 27 February 2021.
- "Pakistani awarded on World NGO Day 2020". thenews.com.pk. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- "Pakistan celebrates World NGO Day". asiatimes.com. Retrieved 26 February 2019.
- "World NGO Day: Statement by High Representative/Vice-President Josep Borrell". eeas.europa.eu. Retrieved 26 February 2021.
- "EU stands up for civil society worldwide". eeas.europa.eu. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- "Council of Europe celebrates the World NGO Day". coe.int. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- "Challenges Facing NGOs in Conflict and Post-Conflict Situations". coe.int. Retrieved 26 February 2019.