World Population Day
|World Population Day|
|Next time||11 July 2021|
World Population Day is an annual event, observed on July 11 every year, which seeks to raise awareness of global population issues. The event was established by the Governing Council of the United Nations Development Programme in 1989. It was inspired by the public interest in Five Billion Day on July 11, 1987, the approximate date on which the world's population reached five billion people. World Population Day aims to increase people's awareness on various population issues such as the importance of family planning, gender equality, poverty, maternal health and human rights.
The day was suggested by Dr. K.C.Zachariah in which population reaches Five Billion when he worked as Sr Demographer at World Bank.
While press interest and general awareness in the global population surges only at the increments of whole billions of people, the world population increases annually by 100 million approximately every 14 months. The world population reached 7,400,000,000 on February 6, 2016; the world population had reached 7,500,000,000 at around 16:21 on April 24, 2017. The world population had reached 7,700,000,000 on year 2019.
In November, UNFPA, together with the governments of Kenya and Denmark, will be convening a high-level conference in Nairobi to accelerate efforts to achieve these unmet goals. On World Population Day, advocates from around the world are calling on leaders, policymakers, grassroots organizers, institutions and others to help make reproductive health and rights a reality for all.
- Agricultural effects and population limits from peak oil
- List of countries by population
- List of population concern organizations
- Human overpopulation
- Negative Population Growth
- United Nations Population Fund
- The Revenge of Gaia
- Roser, Max; Ritchie, Hannah; Ortiz-Ospina, Esteban (2013-05-09). "World Population Growth". Our World in Data.
- "World Population Day 2020 India: Theme, Celebration, Quotes, COVID-19". S A NEWS. 2020-07-11. Retrieved 2020-07-11.
- "World Population Day: Health And Rights Of Women In The Time Of COVID-19". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2020-07-11.
- "World Population Day 2020 Date & Theme: Know History and Significance of the Annual Event That Seeks to Raise Awareness of Global Population Issues | 🙏🏻 LatestLY". LatestLY. 2020-07-09. Retrieved 2020-07-13.
- "Worldometers real time world statistics". Retrieved April 22, 2017.
- Nations, United. "World Population Day". United Nations. Retrieved 2020-07-11.
- Lartigue, Casey (2010-04-22). "Happy Earth Day! And Please, Live,". The Korea Times.
- "World Population Day: history and importance". Breaking News 365. 2020-07-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to World population statistics.|
|This international development-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This holiday-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|