World Record (Van der Graaf Generator album)
|Studio album by Van der Graaf Generator|
|Recorded||10–30 May 1976|
|Studio||Rockfield Studios, Monmouthshire|
|Label||UK Charisma Records,
USA Mercury Records
|Producer||Van der Graaf Generator|
|Van der Graaf Generator chronology|
It was the last album recorded by the classic line-up of the band until their 2005 reunion: Hugh Banton and David Jackson departed in 1976 and 1977 respectively. Banton's departure owed to financial troubles and his then-recent marriage, but he stayed to finish touring commitments. Jackson continued with Peter Hammill and Guy Evans to rehearse with the new line-up in January 1977, which featured returning bassist Nic Potter and newcomer Graham Smith (of Scottish folk-rock act String Driven Thing), but left before the next tour.
All songs written by Peter Hammill, except where noted.
- "When She Comes" – 8:02
- "A Place to Survive" – 10:05
- "Masks" – 7:30
- "Meurglys III (The Songwriter's Guild)" – 20:50
- "Wondering" (Banton, Hammill) – 6:33
2005 re-release bonus tracks
- "When She Comes" – 8:13
- "Masks" – 7:23
- Van der Graaf Generator
- Peter Hammill – vocals, guitar, piano
- David Jackson – saxophone, flute
- Hugh Banton – organ, Mellotron 
- Guy Evans – drums, percussion, cymbal
- "Van Der Graaf Generator - World Record (CD, Album) at Discogs". Retrieved 6 May 2015.
- McDonald, Steven. "World Record (review)". Retrieved 30 June 2013.
- Vital (2005 Charisma reissue) liner notes.
- "Planet Mellotron". Retrieved 19 January 2012.