World Series of Fighting
|Industry||Mixed martial arts promotion|
|Headquarters||Washington, District of Columbia, United States|
|Carlos Silva (CEO)
Ray Sefo (President)
Kevin Alires (VP of Operations)
The Professional Fighters League, formerly the World Series of Fighting, is an American mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion based in Washington, D.C. . Its live events and competitions are shown on NBCSN in the United States, on TSN2 in Canada, on Claro Sports in Latin America, on SportsMax in the Caribbean countries, on Esporte Interativo in Brazil and on the Kiswe and FITE.tv apps worldwide.
WSOF was formed in 2012, having signed a broadcast deal with the NBC Sports Network. This will be the third MMA promotion that NBC Sports has hosted, having broadcast World Extreme Cagefighting and Ultimate Fighting Championship events when the channel was formerly known as Versus. NBC Sports had been one of the bidders for the rights to broadcast future UFC events, but lost out to Fox. However, some journalists regarded WSOF's deal with NBC Sports to be a considerable coup for a debuting promotion, considering NBC Sports' past interest in the UFC. Upon the announcement of the broadcast deal, WSOF President Ray Sefo stated that the promotion wanted to host 8-10 events per year, whilst holding a one-year deal with NBC Sports. However, the next day, an NBC spokesman revealed that the deal only covered WSOF's inaugural event, with the option for more, should NBC hold a positive evaluation. On February 4, 2013, it was reported by several news outlets that NBC Sports signed a 3-year deal with WSOF. On September 23, 2014, it was announced that the WSOF was moving their events to PPV in 2015.
Soon after the promotion's event announcement, they confirmed that Bas Rutten, Michael Schiavello and Kurt Angle would be the commentators for the debut event. However, days later, Angle, a TNA wrestler, was removed from the broadcast by Viacom (the owner of Spike TV, who broadcast TNA Wrestling), who claimed that the job was a conflict of interest. On September 10, 2012, Ray Sefo tweeted "There's a conflict of interest, so he won't be able to do the (Nov.) 3 show," Sefo said, adding the split was amicable. A replacement had yet to be found, until commentator Kenny Rice was added at WSOF 5 on September 14, 2013, along with reporter Joey Varner. Todd Harris who is under contract with NBC Sports has been the main play by play announcer for the WSOF.Ring Announcer Jazz Securo was also acquired and debuted September 14, 2013 at WSOF 5 in Atlantic City, NJ. He has since become the "Official Voice of the World Series of Fighting Decagon".
The League uses a ten-sided (Decagon) cage for their events, unlike the UFC's eight-sided octagon.
In the Summer of 2013, the World Series of Fighting quietly purchased Nicaragua’s Omega MMA and rebranded it World Series of Fighting: Central America. The promotion held its first event on July 27, 2013, headlined by former boxing world champion Ricardo Mayorga. In September 2013, World Series of Fighting purchased the Aggression Fighting Championship organization to enter the Canadian market, but it was later found out the AFC executives closed down the company to join a new organization World Series of Fighting: Canada. World Series of Fighting: Japan was created along with the newly formed partnership with Pancrase to host events in Japan, whilst plans are in place to create branches in New Zealand and Australia.
In April 2017, the organisation was renamed the Professional Fighters League, with an intent to hold a season-ending tournament annually after a regular season series of fights. The fighters with the best records will advance to a single-elimination tournament where they will be crowned Professional Fighters League champion. 
|Most Wins||Marlon Moraes||11|
|Youngest Champion||Justin Gaethje||25 years, 65 days|
|Oldest Champion||Jon Fitch||38 years, 40 days|
|Most Finishes||Justin Gaethje||9|
|Most Knockouts||Justin Gaethje||9|
|Most Submissions||David Branch||4|
|Most Decision Wins||Jon Fitch
|Most Bouts||Marlon Moraes||11|
|Most wins in title bouts||Justin Gaethje
|Most title bouts||Justin Gaethje
|Most consecutive title defenses||Justin Gaethje
|Longest winning streak||Marlon Moraes||11|
|Fastest knockout||Alvin Williams||0:30|
|Fastest submission||Louis Taylor||0:29|
As of March 18, 2017, the Professional Fighters League has held a total of 42 events.
|Division||Upper weight limit||Champion||Since||Title Defenses|
(120 kg; 18.9 st)
|Blagoy Ivanov||WSOF 21
June 5, 2015
|Light Heavyweight||205 lb
(93 kg; 14.6 st)
February 6, 2017
(84 kg; 13.2 st)
February 6, 2017
(77 kg; 12 st)
|Jon Fitch||WSOF 30
April 2, 2016
(70 kg; 11.1 st)
April 27, 2017
(66 kg; 10.4 st)
|Andre Harrison||WSOF 35
March 18, 2017
(61 kg; 9.6 st)
|Bekbulat Magomedov||WSOF 35
March 18, 2017
(56.7 kg; 8.9 st)
January 5, 2017
- "USA Today: MMA promoter ranks grow by one: Miguel Torres in WSOF 1 headliner". mmajunkie.com. September 6, 2012.
- "Deeplink: Kiswe WSoF Channel".
- "Viewpoint: Uphill Climb". sherdog.com. September 10, 2012.
- "NBC Sports: World Series of Fighting deal only covers one event". mmafighting.com. September 7, 2012.
- "Ray Sefo ready for new challenge with World Series of Fighting". mmafighting.com. September 6, 2012.
- "World Series of Fighting Inks 3-Year Deal with NBC Sports Network". bleacherreport.com. February 4, 2013.
- "World Series of Fighting signs 3-year deal with NBC Sports Network". mmafighting.com. February 4, 2013.
- "WSOF announces "revenue sharing model" in 2015 move to PPV; WSOF 15 moves head to head with UFC 180 and Bellator 131". mmatorch.com.
- "TNA contract nixes Kurt Angle commentator job at World Series of Fighting". mmajunkie.com. September 10, 2012.
- "AFC closes doors to join WSOF Canada". Topmmanewscom. Retrieved 2013-09-30.
- "World Series of Fighting launches WSOF Japan, partners with Pancrase". MMAjunkie.
- "World Series of Fighting Targets New Zealand for April 2014". Yahoo Sports. 5 November 2013.
- "WSOF Global Championship website".
- "SEC Form D". Securities and Exchange Commission.
- "Professional Fighters League Announces World's Only Mixed Martial Arts League". PR Newswire. PR Newswire. Retrieved 2017-06-01.