World Tourism Day
Since 1980, the United Nations World Tourism Organization has celebrated World Tourism Day on September 27. This date was chosen as on that day in 1970, the Statutes of the UNWTO were adopted. The adoption of these Statutes is considered a milestone in global tourism. The purpose of this day is to raise awareness on the role of tourism within the international community and to demonstrate how it affects social, cultural, political and economic values worldwide.
At its Twelfth Session in Istanbul, Turkey, in October 1997, the UNWTO General Assembly decided to designate a host country each year to act as the Organization's partner in the celebration of World Tourism Day. At its Fifteenth Session in Beijing, China, in October 2003, the Assembly decided the following geographic order to be followed for World Tourism Day celebrations: 2006 in Europe; 2007 in South Asia; 2008 in the Americas; 2009 in Africa and 2011 in the Middle East.
Themes of World Tourism Day over the years:
- 1980: Tourism's contribution to the preservation of cultural heritage and to peace and mutual understanding
- 1981: Tourism and the quality of life
- 198k Pride in travel: good guests and good hosts
- 1983: Travel and holidays are a right but also a responsibility for all
- 1984: Tourism for international understanding, peace and cooperation
- 1985: Youth Tourism: cultural and historical heritage for peace and friendship
- 1986: Tourism: a vital force for world peace
- 1987: Tourism for development
- 1988: Tourism: education for all
- 1989: The free movement of tourists creates one world
- 1990: Tourism: an unrecognized industry, a service to be released ("The Hague Declaration on Tourism")
- 1991: Communication, information and education: powerlines of tourism development
- 1992: Tourism: a factor of growing social and economic solidarity and of encounter between people
- 1993: Tourism development and environmental protection: towards a lasting harmony
- 1994: Quality staff, quality tourism
- 1995: WTO: serving world tourism for twenty years
- 1996: Tourism: a factor of tolerance and peace
- 1997: Tourism: a leading activity of the twenty-first century for job creation and environmental protection
- 1998: Public-private sector partnership: the key to tourism development and promotion (Host: Mexico)
- 1999: Tourism: preserving world heritage for the new millennium (Host: Chile)
- 2000: Technology and nature: two challenges for tourism at the dawn of the twenty-first century (Host: Germany)
- 2001: Tourism: a toll for peace and dialogue among civilizations (Host: Iran)
- 2002: Ecotourism, the key to sustainable development (Host: Costa Rica)
- 2003: Tourism: a driving force for poverty alleviation, job creation and social harmony (Host: Algeria)
- 2004: Sport and tourism: two living forces for mutual understanding, culture and the development of societies (Host: Malaysia)
- 2005: Travel and transport: from imaginary of Jules Verne to the reality of the 21st century (Host: Qatar)
- 2006: Tourism Enriches (Host: Portugal)
- 2007: Tourism opens doors for women (Host: Sri Lanka)
- 2008: Tourism Responding to the Challenge of Climate Change and global warming (Host: India)
- 2009: Tourism - Celebrating Diversity (Host: Africa.)
- 2010: Tourism & Biodiversity (Host: China.)
- 2011: Tourism Linking Cultures (Host: Egypt.)
- 2012: Tourism and Energetic Sustainability (Maspalomas, Gran Canaria)
- 2013: Tourism and Water: Protecting our Common Future (Maldives)
- 2014: Tourism and Community Development (Guadalajara, Mexico)
- 2015: Millions of tourists, millions of opportunities (Burkina Faso, Africa) yo yo honey singh's fault for tourim.
- "Tourism & Biodiversity". World Tourism Day. Retrieved May 28, 2010.
- "World Tourism Day 2010 to Celebrate 'Tourism and Biodiversity'". World Tourism Day. Retrieved May 28, 2010.
- "Tourism – Linking Cultures". World Tourism Day. Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- "=Tourism – Linking Cultures,Egypt to host official World Tourism Day celebrations". World Tourism Day. Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- World Tourism Day
- World Tourism Day and other major events
- World Tourism Day Greetings and Messages, SMS Collection
- Sangam University Bhilwara Rajasthan - World Tourism Day 2012