World Under Blood
|World Under Blood|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, USA|
|Genres||Melodic death metal|
|Past members||Tim Yeung
World Under Blood is an American melodic death metal band from Los Angeles, California. Formed in 2006, the band originally featured vocalist and guitarist Deron Miller and drummer Tim Yeung, with bassist Risha Eryavac and guitarist Luke Jaeger completing the four-piece lineup in 2007. The group released its debut album Tactical in July 2011, which featured contributions from guitarist James Murphy.
Following the release of the album, Eryavac and Yeung left World Under Blood, to be replaced by current bassist and drummer Kyle Konkiel and Mike Heller, respectively. However, since 2012 the band has remained largely inactive, due in part to Miller's return to focus on his other bands, CKY and Foreign Objects, as well as the busy schedules of other band members.
2006–2009: Formation and early demo recordings
The formation of World Under Blood was officially announced in October 2006 by vocalist and guitarist Deron Miller, who revealed to music news website Blabbermouth.net that he was working with drummer Tim Yeung, producer and engineer Logan Mader, and guitarist and mixing engineer James Murphy on the project. Describing the style of the band, Miller explained that the songs he had written for World Under Blood constituted "the most honest and brutal material [he'd] ever written". By the following month, the band's frontman revealed that a three-song demo was nearing completion, and would feature tracks named "Under the Autumn Low", "God Among the Waste", and "Dead and Still in Pain".
World Under Blood released its first recording, "Dead and Still in Pain", on its MySpace page on November 29, 2006. After a few months of inactivity, "A God Among the Waste", was released in March 2007, which was eventually followed by the final of the three revealed tracks, "Under the Autumn Low", in September. In June 2007, it was revealed that Decrepit Birth bassist Risha Eryavac had joined the band, and it was later announced that Sleep Terror guitarist Luke Jaeger would complete the group's lineup. World Under Blood returned to the studio in April 2008 to record four new tracks for its debut album, including a cover version of Megadeth's "Wake Up Dead".
2009–present: Tactical release and recent events
After more than a year of no updates (due to Miller's return to CKY to record Carver City), in May 2009 it was revealed that World Under Blood had signed with German heavy metal record label Nuclear Blast Records. The band continued working on its debut album throughout 2009 and 2010, with a tentative release date of July 2010 originally scheduled. The track listing for the album, titled Tactical, was revealed in February 2010, and by March it was noted that recording for the release had been completed. As Miller had returned to working with CKY again, for the album B-Sides & Rarities, the release of Tactical was pushed back to July 2011. Upon its release, the album sold around 900 copies in the United States in its first week, reaching number 32 on the Billboard Top Heatseekers chart.
In September 2011, it was revealed that Eryavac had been replaced by former In This Moment bassist Kyle Konkiel, and that Yeung had also left the band, with a replacement drummer yet to be appointed. Yeung's replacement was revealed in the form of Malignancy drummer Mike Heller in March 2012. The band released a music video for Tactical track "Into the Arms of Cruelty" in September 2012. In 2013 it was claimed that the band would be releasing its second album, titled Tetanus Invasive, although as of 2015 this has yet to be released.
In a 2015 interview, Miller stated that he was working on a number of new World Under Blood tracks, indicating that he intended to record an album before the end of the year.
Style and songwriting
Upon the completion of World Under Blood's debut album, frontman Deron Miller explained that the intention of the band was to create "super-fast, extremely brutal and harsh, catchy, melodic, and occasionally offensive and disturbing" music. To this end, he has also praised the individual members of the group, stating that each band member brought something to the project in order to make Tactical "as sickening and dispicable [sic] as possible". Guitarist and producer James Murphy claimed that the band "bridge[s] a gap between genres that has never been bridged ... fusing brutal, blasting death metal with a melodic American rock vibe".
On Tactical, all songwriting is credited to Miller alone, with Yeung assisting with the songs' arrangements. The lyrics on the album deal with a number of different topics, including mental disorders ("Pyro-Compulsive", "Dead and Still in Pain" and "Under the Autumn Low"), politics ("A God Among the Waste"), child abuse ("Into the Arms of Cruelty"), crime and punishment ("Purgatory Dormitory"), religion ("I Can't Stand His Name") and cancer ("Revere's Tears").
- Tactical (2011)
- "CKY Frontman Working On 'Brutal' World Under Blood Project". Blabbermouth.net. October 22, 2006. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- "CKY Frontman's World Under Blood Death Metal Project Putting Finishing Touches On Demo". Blabbermouth.net. November 13, 2006. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- "CKY Frontman's Death Metal Project Uploads First Track". Blabbermouth.net. November 29, 2006. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- "World Under Blood: Another Song Posted Online". Blabbermouth.net. March 11, 2007. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- "World Under Blood: New Song Posted Online". Blabbermouth.net. September 21, 2007. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- "World Under Blood Joined By Decrepit Birth Bassist". Blabbermouth.net. June 9, 2007. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- "World Under Blood's Debut May Include Appearances By Obituary, All That Remains Members". Blabbermouth.net. October 6, 2007. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- "World Under Blood To Record New Material In April". Blabbermouth.net. February 27, 2008. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- "World Under Blood Signs With Nuclear Blast Records". Blabbermouth.net. May 27, 2009. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- "World Under Blood Continuing Work On Debut Album". Blabbermouth.net. February 2, 2010. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- "World Under Blood: 'Tactical' Tentative Track Listing Revealed". Blabbermouth.net. February 27, 2010. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- "World Under Blood Completes Recording Debut Album". Blabbermouth.net. March 16, 2010. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- "World Under Blood To Release Debut Album In July". Blabbermouth.net. April 11, 2011. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- "World Under Blood: 'Tactical' First-Week Sales Revealed". Blabbermouth.net. August 3, 2011. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- "Former In This Moment Bassist Joins World Under Blood". Blabbermouth.net. September 2, 2011. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- "World Under Blood Joined By Malignancy Drummer, Ex-In This Moment Bassist". Blabbermouth.net. March 6, 2012. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- "World Under Blood: 'Into The Arms Of Cruelty' Video Released". Blabbermouth.net. September 6, 2012. Retrieved July 20, 2015.
- "WORLD UNDER BLOOD "Tetanus Invasive" new album ...". Facebook. March 3, 2013. Retrieved July 31, 2015.
- "The Sinner's Ball Radio Show : Episode #6 With DERON MILLER from CKY". BlogTalkRadio. July 12, 2015. Retrieved July 28, 2015.
- Tactical (Media notes). World Under Blood. Nuclear Blast Records. 2011.
- Rose, Rustyn (July 22, 2011). "World Under Blood Vocalist Goes Track by Track Through Tactical". Metalholic. Retrieved July 20, 2015.