World Voice Day
World Voice Day (WVD) is a worldwide annual event that takes place on April 16 devoted to the celebration of the phenomenon of voice. The aim is to demonstrate the enormous importance of the voice in the daily lives of all people. Voice is a critical aspect of effective and healthy communication, and World Voice Day brings global awareness to the need for preventing voice problems, rehabilitating the deviant or sick voice, training the artistic voice, and researching the function and application of voice. A goal of World Voice Day is to encourage all those who use their voice for business or pleasure to learn to take care of their voice, and know how to seek help and training, and to support research on the voice.
Voice production is studied and applied in many disciplines such as medicine, speech-language pathology, music, physics, psychology, phonetics, art, and biology.
The idea to devote a special day, each year on April 16, to the voice was originally launched in 1999 by the Brazilian Society of Laryngology and Voice. In 2002 the Portuguese laryngologist Professor Mario Andrea, Portugal, then President of the European Laryngological Society, suggested that World Voice Day should be celebrated all over the world. This idea was further developed and adopted in various countries, and then in 2012 three voice researchers, Prof. Johan Sundberg (Sweden), Prof. Tecumseh Fitch (Austria), and Dr Filipa Lã (Portugal) invited voice experts from a number of countries to form an international group for the celebration of World Voice Day. Presently the group consists of 66 members who initiate and help coordinate events for World Voice Day in their respective countries.
In 2016 more than 700 events took place, and all are listed on the web site world-voice-day.org where further information can be found.
- WVD website of the international World Voice Day 2013 Planning Committee
- WVD site of the American Academy for Otolaryngology – Head and Neck surgery
- WVD General Site of Vocal Disorders
- WVD website of the National Center for Voice and Speech
- WVD website of the British Voice Association
- WVD website of the Voice Care Network UK
- WVD website of the National Institute of Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
- WVD website of the Clinic of Audiology and Phoniatry, Charité Berlin
- website of The Voice Foundation
- WVD Australia site