World football transfer record
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011)|
Transfer record progression
Number of records by country
|Country||Player records||Record selling||Record buying|
Number of records by continent
|Continent||Player records||Record selling||Record buying|
A. a The Juventus FC web site reported the total fee was exactly 150 billion lira. The Juventus FC financial statement for 2002 describes this as approximately €75m. Using the official base exchange rate for lira to pounds for that time (9 July 2001), this is exactly £46,589,576.90 in pounds sterling, reported in Britain variously between £46m and £47m at the time.
B. b For comparisons, this list uses a valuation of the fee converted to British pounds at the time of the transfer. Zidane's fee in 2001 was 150 billion lira, then equivalent to €77.5m. This appears to be 30% larger than Figo's €60m fee. That comparison in Euros is coincidentally valid because the British pound and the Euro didn't mutually vary much in the intervening year. Kaká's transfer fee of €65m was eight years later in 2009. Due to the valuation method used in this list, Zidane's fee in "2001-Euros" cannot be compared numerically with Kaká's fee in "2009-Euros". In this context, they are different units of currency, and must be converted to the valuation currency first. This paradox is inherent to multiple currency comparisons across time, regardless of the currency and conversion time-frame are chosen as the standard for valuation.
C. c Conversion by British journalists; the actual offer was made and concluded at €94m.
- Football: Sidelines, The Independent, 24 January 1998.
- Taylor, Matthew (2005). The Leaguers: The Making of Professional Football in England, 1900-1939. p. 42.
- Mortimer, Gavin (2012). A History of Football in 100 Objects.
- Landmark £1m fee for Francis was no big deal for Clough
- "The History of the World Transfer Record". BBC News.
- Barnes, Stuart (2007). News of the World Football Annual 2007/2008. Invincible Press. ISBN 978-0-00-725555-9.
- Hughes, Rob (30 July 1996). "Newcastle United Pays Record $23 Million for Sheare". New York Times. Retrieved 3 June 2009.
- "World Cup winner Denilson on trial at Bolton Wanderers". Daily Mail. 6 January 2009. Retrieved 3 June 2009.
- Ash, Russell (2004). Top Ten of Everything 2005. Dorling Kindersley. p. 225.
- "Real tipped to land Kaka for £56m". BBC. 3 June 2009. Retrieved 3 June 2009.
- "Zidane al Real". Juventus FC (in Italian). 9 July 2001. Archived from the original on 6 August 2001. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- "Reports and Financial Statement at 30 June 2002". Juventus FC. 20 September 2002. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- "Kaká completes Madrid switch". BBC. 9 June 2009. Retrieved 9 June 2009.
- "Ronaldo agrees six-year Real deal". BBC. 26 June 2009. Retrieved 26 June 2009.
- Wilson, Steve (12 June 2009). "Cristiano Ronaldo transfer: Q&A of £80m deal between Real Madrid and Manchester United". The Daily Telegraph (London).
- Other sources:
- "Real Madrid confirm Gareth Bale signing in reported €100m deal". The Guardian. 1 September 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- Pitt-Brooke, Jack (1 September 2013). "Gareth Bale finally moves from Tottenham Hotspur to Real Madrid in 'record' £86m transfer". London: The Independent. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- Ashton, Neil; Jenson, Pete (1 September 2013). "Bale is the Real deal! Madrid move finally confirmed as Spanish giants announce £86m world-record signing of Spurs winger". London: Daily Mail. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Gareth Bale completes move from Spurs to Real Madrid". Sky Sports. 1 September 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- Wilson, Jeremy (1 September 2013). "Gareth Bale joins Real Madrid from Tottenham for a world record fee of £86m". London: The Telegraph. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Gareth Bale joins Real Madrid from Spurs in £85m world record deal". BBC Sport. 1 September 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- McMahon, Bobby (25 September 2013). "Deloitte: European football clubs with Middle East based ownership are the highest net spenders on players’ transfers". Deloitte. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- McMahon, Bobby (2 September 2013). "How Real Madrid And Spurs Spent Nearly $400M on New Players But Will Boost Their Bottom Lines Nonetheless". Forbes. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Real Madrid tell CR7: "You're still the most expensive player ever"". AS.com. 6 September 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Real Madrid deny Gareth Bale has back problem after Marca report". The Guardian. 12 October 2013. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- "Convert ITL to GBP on 9 July 2001". Historic Exchange Rates. "fxtop.com" Paris, France. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- "Gareth Bale transfer: Real Madrid confirm signing in reported €100m deal". The Guardian online. 1 September 2013. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Bale completes Real Madrid move". BBC. 1 September 2013. Retrieved 1 September 2013.