World of Dance (TV series)
|World of Dance|
World of Dance title card
|Presented by||Jenna Dewan|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||26 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||60-120 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Nuyorican Productions|
World of Dance
Universal Television Alternative
|Distributor||NBCUniversal Television Distribution|
|Original release||May 30, 2017 – present|
World of Dance is an American reality competition television series executive produced by Jennifer Lopez. The first two seasons were hosted by Jenna Dewan, but the third season will be hosted by Scott Evans . The series features dance performers, including solo acts and larger groups, representing any style of dance, competing for a grand prize of $1 million. The contestants are scored by judges Jennifer Lopez, Ne-Yo, and Derek Hough.
The series was created in partnership with preeminent global dance brand, World of Dance, which produces dance competitions and dance lifestyle events in more than 25 countries, spanning the U.S., Europe, South America, and Asia. Videos captured from these events have driven more than 1 billion views online.
The series' first season premiered on NBC on May 30, 2017, as a complement to America's Got Talent. On June 29, 2017, World of Dance was renewed for a second season, and was renewed for a third in May 2018.
While the format for season two remained relatively unchanged, there were a few slight alterations. Season 2 received a 16-episode order., six more than the ten-episode first season. Additionally, this season, a fourth category, Junior Team, was added for acts under 18 with 5 or more members. The qualifier rounds are cut down from a two minutes to an one-minute routine. The Duels are cut down from two minutes to a ´75 seconds´-routine. The top three highest-scoring acts in The Cut from each division will move on to The Divisional Final, in season one it was just the top two. The Cut, Divisional and World Final rounds are cut down from a two minutes to a '90 seconds'-routine. In The Cut and Divisional Final guess celebrities are assigned as mentors to each division. On World Final there are intermezzo shows. Season two by Les Twins, Keone & Mari (actually Mariel) Madrid, Kinjaz and Derek Hough.
In preparation for season two, handpicked competitors, being talented in any styles of dancing, from qualifying events around the nation and thousands of online submissions, are divided into four divisions: Junior (groups of 1-4, under 18), Upper (groups of 1-4, 18 and older), Junior Team (groups of 5+, under 18) and Upper Team (groups of 5+, 18 and older). In some cases dancers who didn't apply were directly contacted by the producers or their agents.
The elimination process of the contestants are in four rounds:
- The Qualifiers - The contestants have to qualify with at least 80 points (85 points in Season 3) to make it to The Duels.
- The Duels - The contestants choose their opponent starting with the highest scorer from the qualifiers. If the number of contestants in a division is uneven, the last duel will be competed by the three remaining opponents that were unpicked previously. The winner of the dual is the contestant/s with the highest score who then move on to The Cut.
- The Cut - Mentors are assigned to each division to prepare the contestants for their performances. The top three scoring acts in each division move on to Divisional Final.
- Divisional Final - The mentors still support the contestants from each division. A guest judge joins the panel to four judges. The top scoring act in each division will become division champion and move on to the World Final. It went public later that the division champions got $50,000 USD prize money each 3 months after last show airing.
In the World Final all four division champions will compete for the $1,000,000 USD grand prize. The concept of last season is copied; every contestant will perform twice in two separate rounds. The average score of both rounds by each contestant will make their final score. The contestant(s) with the highest final score will be crowned World of Dance champion 2018 and will win the $1,000,000 USD grand prize.
The judges are scoring in 5 categories. Each category is worth 20 points, with a perfect score of 100:
- Performance (20 points):
- Effort: How many different elements put into the routine without overloading or rushing through it. What was the whole effort to dance the performance by the act.
- Personality: How characters and personality put into the performance, in the sense of acting to stimulate emotions by the audience, telling a story or framing pictures.
- Technique (20 points):
- Transitions: How smooth and elegant the transitions from move to move were without lacking a performance moment.
- Cleanness: How synchronized, ordered by a pattern, precise and committed the movements were within the act.
- Execution: How flawless the execution of the performance by the act was to the performance song.
- Choreography (20 points):
- Difficulty: How difficult it was to perform the figures and movements by the act from judges point of view.
- Musicality: How well pictures, figures and movements were choreographed to the sound and beat of the performance song.
- Tricks: Are unexpected show elements included by properties, clothing or the bodies of the dancers and how well was it done.
- Creativity (20 points):
- Originality: How unique, new, fresh and interesting was the performance.
- Artistic Choices: What styles of dancing were shown and merged. How well was it done regarding basic dance styles and style culture, e.g. costumes, shoes. The performance song and the use of properties are artistic choices as well. How well did they fit to the performance.
- Dynamics: How energizing and powerful the performance was and how much action was on stage.
- Presentation (20 points):
- Crowd Appeal: How the crowd around the show stage reacted to the performance.
- Impact: How memorable, influential and worth talking about it later the performance was.
Jennifer Lopez, who serves as both executive producer and judge, felt that the series would be a return to her roots; Lopez had achieved early fame as a member of In Living Color's dance crew, The Fly Girls. She explained that dance had been her "first form of artistic expression", and that the series "reminded me of all the reasons why I love dance and why I wanted to do this in the first place".
The series premiere was originally scheduled for May 8, 2017 (as a lead-out for The Voice), but was pushed back to May 30, 2017 to serve as a lead-out for the season premiere of America's Got Talent. On June 29, 2017, NBC renewed the series for a second season, which premiered on May 29, 2018—once again complimenting the next season of America's Got Talent.
In May 2018, prior to its season 2 premiere, World of Dance was renewed for a third season; unlike the previous season, it will instead air at midseason, premiering on February 26, 2019 before moving to its new Sunday night timeslot. Host Jenna Dewan announced that she would step down from her role for season 3.
|Premiere||Finale||Winner||Runner-up||Third place||Fourth place|
|1||May 30, 2017||August 8, 2017||10||$1,000,000||Les Twins||Eva Igo||Swing Latino||-||Jenna Dewan||Ne-Yo||Jennifer Lopez||Derek Hough|
|2||May 29, 2018||September 12, 2018||16||The Lab||Michael Dameski||Charity & Andres||S-Rank|
|3||February 26, 2019||May, 2019||Scott Evans|
|Country||Title||TV Network||Seasons and winners||Prize||Hosts||Judges|
|Philippines||World of Dance Philippines||ABS-CBN||Season 1, 2019: Current season||P2,000,000||Luis Manzano
|Poland||World of Dance Polska||Polsat||Season 1, 2018: Ildar Gaynutdinov||$100,000||Olga Kalicka
|Thailand||To be determined||One31||To be determined|
|USA||World of Dance||NBC||Season 1, 2017: Les Twins
Season 2, 2018: The Lab
|$1,000,000||Jenna Dewan||Jennifer Lopez|
- Andreeva, Nellie (18 Dec 2018). "NBC Sets Premiere Dates For New Dramas 'Enemy Within' & 'The Village', Return For 'Good Girls', 'The Voice', 'World Of Dance'". Deadline Hollywood.
- "NBC's 'World of Dance' Brings Jennifer Lopez Back to Her Roots: 'It's the Perfect Job for Me'". Variety. Retrieved May 28, 2017.
- Lemoncelli, Jenna (2 May 2018). "Jennifer Lopez Vs. Jenna Dewan: Which Hot Mama's Look Was Your Fave At 'World Of Dance' Event".
- "JNBC's "World of Dance" Welcomes Ciara, Julianne Hough, Mel B, Misty Copeland, Paula Abdul and Savion Glover as Guest Mentors and Judges". 23 July 2018.
- "NBC Shifts 'World of Dance' to Premiere Alongside 'Talent'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 28, 2017.
- "NBC's Jennifer Lopez Dance Show to Launch out of 'The Voice'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 28, 2017.
- Otterson, Joe (2017-06-29). "'World of Dance' Renewed for Season 2 at NBC". Variety. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- Mitovich, Matt Webb (2018-03-06). "NBC's World of Dance, Ninja Warrior and AGT Get Summer Return Dates". TVLine. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "'The Voice' Scales Back as NBC Finalizes Midseason Premieres". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2019-01-15.
- Pedersen, Nellie Andreeva,Erik; Andreeva, Nellie; Pedersen, Erik (2018-12-18). "NBC Sets Premiere Dates For New Dramas 'Enemy Within' & 'The Village', Return For 'Good Girls', 'The Voice', 'World Of Dance'". Deadline. Retrieved 2019-01-15.
- Pedersen, Erik (May 10, 2018). "'World Of Dance' Renewed On NBC Ahead Of Its Season 2 Premiere". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 10, 2018.
- Ramos, Dino-Ray; Ramos, Dino-Ray (2018-10-01). "Jenna Dewan Leaves 'World Of Dance' As Host, Plans To Return As Mentor". Deadline. Retrieved 2019-01-15.