Kamen Rider Kabuto
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Kamen Rider Kabuto|
|Created by||Shotaro Ishinomori|
|Narrated by||Eiichiro Suzuki|
|Opening theme||"NEXT LEVEL" by YU-KI|
|Country of origin||Japan|
|No. of episodes||49 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||24–25 minutes (per episode)|
|Production company(s)||Toei Company|
|Original network||TV Asahi|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Original release||January 29, 2006– January 21, 2007|
|Preceded by||Kamen Rider Hibiki|
|Followed by||Kamen Rider Den-O|
Kamen Rider Kabuto (仮面ライダーカブト Kamen Raidā Kabuto, Masked Rider Kabuto) is a Japanese tokusatsu superhero television series. It is the sixteenth installment in the popular Kamen Rider Series of tokusatsu programs. It is a joint collaboration between Ishimori Productions and Toei. The series was broadcast on TV Asahi. The first episode aired on January 29, 2006, and with the final episode airing on January 21, 2007, completing the series with 49 episodes. The series represents the 35th anniversary of the Kamen Rider Series, as indicated by a notice at the beginning of the pilot episode reading, in Japanese, "Kamen Rider 35th Anniversary Production." Kamen Rider Kabuto is the first Kamen Rider Series to be broadcast in high-definition format.
Seven years prior to the series, a meteorite struck the Shibuya district in Tokyo. An alien lifeform, known as the Worms, emerged from the meteorite and became a threat to humanity. Souji Tendou has trained seven years while waiting for the Kabuto Zecter so that he may properly take up the mantle of Kamen Rider Kabuto. Making many enemies while at the same time meeting other Riders with mysterious origins, Tendou attempts to accomplish his goal at all costs: to destroy all Worms that threaten humanity. He meets ZECT operative Arata Kagami, who later becomes Kamen Rider Gatack. The two soon work together to save humanity from the alien Worms—but not before uncovering the conspiracies within the ZECT organization and the "Natives" species.
Masked Rider System
Zecters (ゼクター Zekutā), also known as the Masked Rider System (マスクドライダーシステム Masukudo Raidā Shisutemu), are a compilation of mobile systems that affect space/time. They were created by the Natives, a species of Worm that arrived on Earth 35 years ago. These Natives in turn gave the Zecters to humans so that they may protect them from alien Worms that would arrive later. The Zecters appear instantaneously from the ZECT headquarters to the selected personnel so that they may transform into the respective Rider to fight any Worms in the vicinity. Each Rider (except for the Hopper Riders and the Kabutech Riders) possesses two forms: the bulky armored cocoon-like Masked Form (マスクドフォーム Masukudo Fōmu) and the sleeker Rider Form (ライダーフォーム Raidā Fōmu) which can use the Clock Up (クロックアップ Kurokku Appu), a system that allows the Rider to move at high speed. They also have the ZECTroopers to help them. Worth noting is that the Zecters have a mind of their own and can reject their present user in search of another one if they so choose.
There are eight known Zecters within the Masked Rider System, each allowing the user to become a different Rider. Most Zecters are based on insects, with the exception of the Sasword Zecter, which is based on a scorpion.
- Kamen Rider Kabuto
- Kamen Rider TheBee
- Kamen Rider Drake
- Kamen Rider Sasword
- Kamen Rider Gatack
- Kamen Rider KickHopper
- Kamen Rider PunchHopper
- Kamen Rider Dark Kabuto
There also exist two other Zecters known as the Perfect Zecter and the Hyper Zecter. The Perfect Zecter serves as a primary weapon while the Hyper Zecter is a power-up device that enhances the powers of the original Zecter. Both were only used by Kabuto in the series, but Gatack got to use the Hyper Zecter in the Hyper Battle DVD.
The series made some allusions to the whole Kamen Rider series. Masked Rider Project as mentioned in the course of the series was said to be started on 3 April 1971. The Worm species known as Natives also first arrived on Earth on the same year. In real-life, it was the date the first Kamen Rider show aired for the first time.
|1||"The Strongest Man"
"Saikyō Otoko" (最強男)
|Shōji Yonemura||January 29, 2006|
|2||"The First Two-Step Transformation"
"Hatsu Ni-dan Henshin" (初2段変身)
|Shōji Yonemura||February 5, 2006|
|3||"I am Justice!!"
"Ore wa Seigi!!" (俺が正義!!)
|Shōji Yonemura||February 12, 2006|
"Ai o Toku!!" (愛を説く!!)
|Shōji Yonemura||February 19, 2006|
|5||"Order to Capture!!"
"Hokaku Shirei!!" (捕獲指令!!)
|Shōji Yonemura||February 26, 2006|
"Ore-sama no Hana" (オレ様の花)
|Shōji Yonemura||March 5, 2006|
"Nigō Shin Tōjō" (２号新登場)
|Shōji Yonemura||March 12, 2006|
"Ikareru Tōfu" (怒れる豆腐)
|Shōji Yonemura||March 19, 2006|
|9||"The Bee's Insanity!!"
"Hachi no Ranshin!!" (蜂の乱心!!)
|Shōji Yonemura||March 26, 2006|
|10||"I'm Not Your Friend"
"Tomo ja Nee" (友じゃねぇ)
|Shōji Yonemura||April 2, 2006|
|11||"The Party Burns"
"Gōkon Moeyu" (合コン燃ゆ)
|Toshiki Inoue||April 9, 2006|
|12||"The Makeup Thousand-Man Cut"
"Keshō Sennin Giri" (化粧千人斬)
|Toshiki Inoue||April 16, 2006|
|13||"The Team Dissolves"
"Chīmu Kaisan" (チーム解散)
|Shōji Yonemura||April 23, 2006|
|14||"Back of the Back of the Back"
"Ura no Ura no Ura" (裏の裏の裏)
|Shōji Yonemura||April 30, 2006|
|15||"The Monster Noted Doctor!?"
"Kaijin Meii!?" (怪人名医!?)
|Toshiki Inoue||May 7, 2006|
|16||"An Impossible Storm"
"Masaka no Arashi" (まさかの嵐)
|Toshiki Inoue||May 14, 2006|
"Yomigaeru Kioku!!" (甦る記憶!!)
|Toshiki Inoue||May 21, 2006|
"Saraba Gon..." (さらばゴン・・・)
|Toshiki Inoue||May 28, 2006|
"Sasori Fugō" (さそり富豪)
|Toshiki Inoue||June 4, 2006|
"Nee, Jiiya?" (ねぇじいや?)
|Toshiki Inoue||June 11, 2006|
|21||"Vs. Stag Beetle"
"Tai Kuwagata" (VSクワガタ)
|Shōji Yonemura||June 25, 2006|
|22||"Birth of a Special Compilation"
"Tanjō Tokubetsuhen" (誕生特別編)
|Shōji Yonemura||July 2, 2006|
|23||"Riddle + Riddle = X"
"Nazo Tasu Nazo Wa Ekkusu" (謎+謎=X)
|Shōji Yonemura||July 9, 2006|
|24||"The Ramen Way"
"Rāmen Dō" (ラーメン道)
|Shōji Yonemura||July 16, 2006|
|25||"The Proud Searchlight"
"Ogoru Sōsasen" (驕る捜査線)
|Shōji Yonemura||July 23, 2006|
|26||"Love That Shook the Earth"
"Gekishin Suru Ai" (激震する愛)
|Shōji Yonemura||July 30, 2006|
|27||"Me!? A Murderer"
"Ore!? Satsujinhan" (俺!?殺人犯)
|Toshiki Inoue||August 6, 2006|
"Naze!? Zetsumei" (なぜ!?絶命)
|Toshiki Inoue||August 13, 2006|
|29||"The Dark Kitchen"
"Yami Kitchin" (闇キッチン)
|Toshiki Inoue||August 20, 2006|
|30||"Miso Soup Ascension"
"Misoshiru Shōten" (味噌汁昇天)
|Toshiki Inoue||August 27, 2006|
"Shōgeki no Jijitsu" (衝撃の事実)
|Shōji Yonemura||September 3, 2006|
"Tokeru Nazo!!" (解ける謎!!)
|Shōji Yonemura||September 10, 2006|
|33||"The Sprouting Adjutant"
"Moeru Fukukan" (萌える副官)
|Shōji Yonemura||September 17, 2006|
|34||"Breaking Super Evolution"
"Kudake Chō Shinka" (砕け超進化)
|Shōji Yonemura||September 24, 2006|
|35||"The Hellish Brothers"
"Jigōku no Kyōdai" (地獄の兄弟)
|Shōji Yonemura||October 1, 2006|
|36||"Red Shoes' Recklessness"
"Akai Kutsu Bōsō" (赤い靴暴走)
|Shōji Yonemura||October 8, 2006|
|37||"School's Ghost Story"
"Gakkō no Kaidan" (学校の怪談)
|Shōji Yonemura||October 15, 2006|
|38||"The Dangerous Younger Sister"
"Abunai Imōto" (あぶない妹)
|Shōji Yonemura||October 22, 2006|
|39||"The Powerful Black Opponent"
"Kyōteki Kuro Kabu" (強敵黒カブ)
|Toshiki Inoue||October 29, 2006|
|40||"The Saddest Battle"
"Saidai no Aisen" (最大の哀戦)
|Toshiki Inoue||November 12, 2006|
|41||"The Strongest Defeated"
"Yabureru Saikyō" (敗れる最強)
|Shōji Yonemura||November 19, 2006|
|42||"Worst Terror vs. Worst Fear"
"Saikyō Tai Saikyō" (最凶VS.最恐)
|Shōji Yonemura||November 26, 2006|
|43||"That Which We Aim For"
"Ore o Nerau Ore" (俺を狙う俺)
|Shōji Yonemura||December 3, 2006|
|44||"Who You Will Live With"
"Ikiru to wa" (生きるとは)
|Shōji Yonemura||December 10, 2006|
"Kurisumasu Gekishin" (Xマス激震)
|Toshiki Inoue||December 17, 2006|
"Saraba Tsurugi!!" (さらば剣!!)
|Toshiki Inoue||December 24, 2006|
|47||"Rushing into the Last Chapter"
"Saishūshō Totsunyū" (最終章突入)
|Shōji Yonemura||January 7, 2007|
"Tendō Shisu!!" (天道死す!!)
|Shōji Yonemura||January 14, 2007|
|Finale||"Path of Heaven"
"Ten no Michi" (天の道)
|Shōji Yonemura||January 21, 2007|
God Speed Love
The movie spin-off of the 2006 Kamen Rider Series, entitled Kamen Rider Kabuto the Movie: God Speed Love (劇場版 仮面ライダーカブト GOD SPEED LOVE Gekijōban Kamen Raidā Kabuto Goddo Supīdo Rabu), was released in Japan on August 5. The film took place in an alternate timeline and served as an alternate prologue to the series, featuring three new Riders known as Hercus, Ketaros and Caucasus.
Hyper Battle Video
In Kamen Rider Kabuto: Birth! Gatack Hyper Form!! (仮面ライダーカブト 誕生！ガタックハイパーフォーム!! Kamen Raidā Kabuto Tanjō! Gatakku Haipā Fōmu!!), Arata Kagami seeks to get the Hyper Zecter just like Souji Tendou, so he tries to emulate Tendou. Once he realizes that he has to be himself, the Hyper Zecter appears and allows him to transform into Kamen Rider Gatack Hyper Form, which only appears in the DVD. The Kabuto and Gatack Zecters speak to Tendou and Kagami throughout the DVD, voiced by Tomokazu Seki and Kōji Yusa, respectively.
A video game based on the series was produced by Bandai for the PlayStation 2, under the name Kamen Rider Kabuto. Released on November 30, 2006, it is a fighting game featuring all Riders seen in the show and movie, along with Hyper Gatack. The game features 5 different modes of play, ranging from a story mode to several multi-player modes.
Kamen Rider Kabuto (仮面ライダーカブト Kamen Raidā Kabuto), written by Shōji Yonemura, is part of a series of spin-off novel adaptions of the Heisei Era Kamen Riders. The mysteries behind Kamen Rider Kabuto will be revealed as Tendou Souji fights his final battle with the Worms. After the battle, he travels around the world starting from Bangkok, Thailand to Varanasi, India. During this time, the story follow Arata Kagami as he tries to court Hiyori Kusakabe. The novel was released on November 30, 2012.
- Souji Tendou, Souji Kusakabe (天道 総司、日下部 総司 Tendō Sōji, Kusakabe Sōji): Hiro Mizushima (水嶋 ヒロ Mizushima Hiro)
- Arata Kagami (加賀美 新 Kagami Arata): Yuuki Sato (佐藤 祐基 Satō Yūki)
- Hiyori Kusakabe (日下部 ひより Kusakabe Hiyori): Yui Satonaka (里中 唯 Satonaka Yui)
- Sou Yaguruma (矢車 想 Yaguruma Sō): Hidenori Tokuyama (徳山 秀典 Tokuyama Hidenori)
- Shun Kageyama (影山 瞬 Kageyama Shun): Masato Uchiyama (内山 眞人 Uchiyama Masato)
- Daisuke Kazama (風間 大介 Kazama Daisuke): Kazuki Kato (加藤 和樹 Katō Kazuki)
- Tsurugi Kamishiro (神代 剣 Kamishiro Tsurugi): Yusuke Yamamoto (山本 裕典 Yamamoto Yūsuke)
- Renge Takatori (高鳥 蓮華 Takatori Renge): Yuka Teshima (手嶋 ゆか Teshima Yuka)
- Jyuka Tendou (天道 樹花 Tendō Juka): Natsumi Okumura (奥村 夏未 Okumura Natsumi)
- Shuichi Tadokoro (田所 修一 Tadokoro Shūichi): Yoshiyuki Yamaguchi (山口 祥行 Yamaguchi Yoshiyuki)
- Yuzuki Misaki (岬 祐月 Misaki Yuzuki): Anna Nagata (永田 杏奈 Nagata Anna)
- Gon (ゴン): Airu Kanzaki (神崎 愛瑠 Kanzaki Airu)
- Jiiya (じいや): Yasukiyo Umeno (梅野 泰靖 Umeno Yasukiyo)
- Soichi Kusakabe (日下部 総一 Kusakabe Sōichi): Go Narumi (鳴海 剛 Narumi Gō)
- Satomi Kusakabe (日下部 さとみ Kusakabe Satomi): Kaori Asano (浅野 香織 Asano Kaori)
- Tendo of 7 Years Ago (7年前の天道 Shichinenmae no Tendō): Sean Wiig (ショーン・ウィーグ Shōn Wīgu)
- Hiyori of 7 Years Ago (7年前のひより Shichinenmae no Hiyori): Reina Fujii (藤井 玲奈 Fujii Reina)
- Rena Mamiya (間宮 麗奈 Mamiya Rena): Hitomi Miwa (三輪 ひとみ Miwa Hitomi)
- Reiji Nogi (乃木 怜治 Nogi Reiji): Tak Sakaguchi (坂口 拓 Sakaguchi Taku)
- Negishi (根岸): Masahiro Kobayashi (小林 正寛 Kobayashi Masahiro)
- Yumiko Takemiya (竹宮 弓子 Takemiya Yumiko): Megumi Nishimuta (西牟田 恵 Nishimuta Megumi)
- Masato Mishima (三島 正人 Mishima Masato): Tomohisa Yuge (弓削 智久 Yuge Tomohisa)
- Riku Kagami (加賀美 陸 Kagami Riku): Hirotaro Honda (本田 博太郎 Honda Hirotarō)
- ZECTrooper (ゼクトルーパー Zekutorūpā, Voice): Katsumi Shiono (塩野 勝美 Shiono Katsumi)
- Zecter Voice: Surage Gajria (スラージ・ガジリア Surāji Gajiria)
- Narration: Eiichiro Suzuki (鈴木 英一郎 Suzuki Eiichirō)
- Detective (刑事 Keiji, 1): Maroshi Tamura (田村 円 Tamura Maroshi)
- Yuki Tamai (玉井 ユキ Tamai Yuki, 3): Mika Kikuchi (菊地 美香 Kikuchi Mika)
- IT President Uemura (IT社長・ウエムラ Ai Tī Shachō Uemura, 3): Kohei Murakami (村上 幸平 Murakami Kōhei)
- Shogo Higashi (東 省吾 Higashi Shōgo, 5, 6): Atsushi Ogawa (小川 敦史 Ogawa Atsushi)
- Takeshi Hongo (本郷 猛 Hongō Takeshi, 14): Masaya Kikawada (黄川田 将也 Kikawada Masaya)
- Koji Iguchi (井口 浩二 Iguchi Kōji, 14): Kenzaburo Kikuchi (菊地 謙三郎 Kikuchi Kenzaburō)
- Kazuhiko Sagara (相良 和彦 Sagara Kazuhiko, 27): Hiroyuki Matsumoto (松本 博之 Matsumoto Hiroyuki)
- Ichiro Ikesu (生簀 一郎 Ikesu Ichirō, 29, 30): Shinnosuke Abe (阿部 進之介 Abe Shinnosuke)
- Keiko Kobayashi (小林 恵子 Kobayashi Keiko, 37, 38): Kasumi Suzuki (鈴木 かすみ Suzuki Kasumi)
- Oda (オダ, 49): Katsuya Kobayashi (小林 且弥 Kobayashi Katsuya)
- Yamato (ヤマト, 49): Mitsuki Koga (虎牙 光揮 Koga Mitsuki)
- Opening theme
- "NEXT LEVEL"
- Ending themes
- "FULL FORCE"
- Lyrics: Shoko Fujibayashi
- Composition: nishi-ken
- Arrangement: RIDER CHIPS & Cher Watanabe
- Artist: RIDER CHIPS
- Episodes: 2-32
- "LORD OF THE SPEED"
- Lyrics: Shoko Fujibayashi
- Composition: Cher Watanabe
- Arrangement: RIDER CHIPS & Cher Watanabe
- Artist: RIDER CHIPS featuring Arata Kagami (Yuuki Sato)
- Episodes: 33-48
35th Masked Rider Anniversary File
During episodes 23 through 27, this segment called the 35th Masked Rider Anniversary File, acted as a look back to the franchise and an early advertisement for the God Speed Love movie. These look backs are held in a movie theater and the segment is hosted by Soji Tendo (Kamen Rider Kabuto), Arata Kagami (Kamen Rider Gatack), Tetsuki Yamato (Kamen Rider Ketaros), Yuzuki Misaki, and Masato Mishima. During these five segments, they discuss the history of the Kamen Rider franchise, sometimes in a comedic tone, but always with serious background music.
- Episode 23 (Rider Kicks): The group watches and Yamato narrates the variations of Rider Kicks during the course of the years. Yamato mentions about the Rider Double Kick of Kamen Riders 1 and 2, Kamen Rider V3's V3 Kick, Kamen Rider X's X Kick, and Kamen Rider Super-1's ten various kicks. In the end, Kagami stands up and does his own Rider Kick (he even shouts the attack name) and falling into his seat with Yuzuki looking. Tendo asks Yamato, "Who are you?"
- Episode 24 (Criminal Organizations): The group watches and learns about the different criminal organizations the Kamen Riders had to fight. Villains include Shocker & Gel-Shocker in the first Kamen Rider, Destron from Kamen Rider V3, and King Dark (of the Government of Darkness) in Kamen Rider X. Footage of Black Satan, first enemy of Kamen Rider Stronger, is also shown. Tendo then supposes that it is the Kamen Rider's destiny to fight an organization. Mishima tells Tendo that ZECT will show no mercy to anyone who fights them. Yamato then says that he will definitely smash Neo-ZECT for rebelling against and splitting off from ZECT.
- Episode 25 (Rhinoceros Beetle-Themed Kamen Riders): The group watches Kamen Rider Stronger, and Kagami quickly thinks that Stronger himself is Kabuto, and looks at Tendo confused. Misaki corrects him, informing him that this is a different Rider, using the rhinoceros beetle as a design. Mishima then announces that it is Kamen Rider Stronger. The camera then zooms on Tendo's face as he says that while this Rider may be Stronger, he (referring to himself) is the strongest. Tendo pronounces "Stronger" and "Strongest" in English, (due to the fact that Hiro Mizushima, who portrays Tendou, is fluent in English). Yamato then also speaks of the Kabutech Riders (Caucasus [Caucasus beetle], Heracus [Hercules beetle], and Ketaros [centaurus beetle], the last of whom Yamato happens to be), which are also Rhinoceros Beetle Riders (as the Caucasus, Hercules, and Centaurus beetles are rhinoceros beetle sub-species). Also, despite being a Rhinoceros Beetle Rider, Kamen Rider Blade (also a Hercules beetle) was omitted. At the end, Tendo stands up and miniature hexagons with Tendo's face appear, forming a compound eye pattern as Tendo says once again that he is "the man who walks the path of heaven that will rule over everything."
- Episode 26 (Riders Everywhere): The group watches Kamen Rider and Yamato comments on Skyrider's Sailing Jump, then says that the Riders can go anywhere around the world. In addition, they are not restricted to the ground. Then, Misaki mentions the Riders can even now go into space. During this segment, they watch footage of Kamen Riders 1 through ZX training with each other in Kamen Rider 1's base on Arizona in the final episodes of Kamen Rider Black RX, followed by footage from God Speed Love. Tendo then coins a variant his trademark quote ("Now, I will truly walk down the path of heaven and rule over all.").
- Episode 27 (Kamen Rider Ultimate Forms): Kamen Rider Stronger's upgrade is not mentioned (as it is not an "Ultimate Form", but rather a temporary power upgrade) and the short starts with Yamato commenting on Black RX and his modes RX Roborider and RX Biorider. It then moves on to Kamen Rider Kuuga Ultimate Form, Kamen Rider Agito Shining Form, Kamen Rider Ryuki Survive, Kamen Rider Faiz Blaster Form, Kamen Rider Blade King Form, and Kamen Rider Armed Hibiki. Suddenly, Yamato and Tendo are about to duel with the others looking on and showing on screen is Kabuto's Ultimate Form, Hyper Form.
|Thailand||Channel 9 MCOT HD
Cartoon Club channel
|South Korea||CHAMP TV
Daekyo Kids TV
Episode 327-B of Sgt. Frog titled "Keroro, Invasion in a Blink!" (ケロロ あっというまの侵略！であります Keroro Attoiuma no Shinryaku! de arimasu) features the members of the Keroro Platoon trying to invade Earth in Clock Up mode.