Worth Township, Cook County, Illinois
Location in Cook County
Cook County's location in Illinois
|• Supervisor||Kevin M. Hughes|
|• Total||32.23 sq mi (83.48 km2)|
|• Land||31.9 sq mi (82.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.38 sq mi (0.98 km2) 1.17%|
|Elevation||594 ft (181 m)|
|• Density||4,792/sq mi (1,850.1/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||60406, 60415, 60445, 60453, 60455, 60456, 60459, 60463, 60472, 60482 60655, 60803, 60805|
|GNIS feature ID||0429958|
Worth Township is one of thirty townships in Cook County, Illinois, USA. As of the 2010 census, its population was 152,633. It was founded in 1849, when the county voted to subdivide itself into townships.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Worth Township covers an area of 32.23 square miles (83.5 km2); of this, 31.85 square miles (82.5 km2) (98.83 percent) is land and 0.38 square miles (0.98 km2) (1.17 percent) is water.
The township covers 31.9 square miles (83 km2) and holds 62,042 dwellings as of the 2010 census. The population is 79.6% White (71.3% White Non-Hispanic), 9.9% Black, 0.3% American Indian or Alaska Native, 1.7% Asian, 0.05% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, 6.2% some other race, and 2.2% two or more races. Hispanic or Latino people of any race made up 15.7% of the population.
Worth Township is bordered by Harlem Avenue (Illinois Route 43) on the west, 87th Street on the north, Western Avenue on the east and 135th Street on the south. The township, however, does not include the parts of the city of Chicago (namely, zip code 60655 which is mostly the Beverly and Mount Greenwood neighborhoods) that lie within these boundaries.
Cities, towns, villages
- Blue Island
- Chicago Ridge
- Evergreen Park
- Merrionette Park
- Oak Lawn
- Palos Heights (east half)
- Robbins (north quarter)
- Worth (east three-quarters)
The south edge of the city of Chicago is within this township geographically but is a separate entity.
- Stickney Township (north)
- Calumet Township (east)
- Thornton Township (southeast)
- Bremen Township (south)
- Orland Township (southwest)
- Palos Township (west)
- Lyons Township (northwest)
The township contains these fifteen cemeteries: Beverly Memorial Park, Burr Oak, Chapel Hills Gardens South, Ever Rest (historical), Evergreen, First Evangelical Lutheran, Hazel Green, Holy Sepulchre, Lincoln, Mount Greenwood, Mount Hope, Oak Hill, Restvale, Saint Benedict Catholic and Saint Marys.
Airports and landing strips
- Alsip Fire Department Heliport
- Christ Hospital Heliport
- Burr Oak Woods (Cook County Forest Preserves) (east half)
- Elizabeth A Conkey Forest (Cook County Forest Preserves)
- City Of Chicago School District 299
- Illinois' 1st congressional district
- Illinois' 3rd congressional district
- State House District 27
- State House District 28
- State House District 31
- State House District 35
- State House District 36
- State Senate District 14
- State Senate District 16
- State Senate District 18
In 2002, Lawrence Hupe, the Worth Township school treasurer, retired with one of the largest government pensions in Illinois after receiving annual bonuses exceeding 25% of his salary in the last five years of his 25-year service. At $153,835, Hupe's pension exceeded the state governor's salary. His employer, the Worth Township Board of School Trustees, reported to the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund that Hupe took home an extra $302,000 above his salary between 1998 and 2002. Hupe claimed that the additional payments were in lieu of unused annual leave. Hupe's successor was paid a salary of $87,500, just 57% of Hupe's pension.
- "Worth Township, Cook County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-01-10.
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States National Atlas
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Worth township, Cook County, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Worth township, Cook County, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- Tim Novak, "Mystery cash eases retirement", Chicago Sun-Times, April 9, 2003.