Worthing West (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Worthing West in West Sussex.
Location of West Sussex within England.
|Electorate||74,468 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Sir Peter Bottomley (Conservative)|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
Worthing West is a borough constituency represented in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election.
The constituency covers the western portion of Worthing - Castle Ward, Central Ward, Durrington Ward, Goring Ward, Heene Ward, Marine Ward, Northbrook Ward, Salvington Ward, and Tarring Ward - in West Sussex. The Eastern parts of the town are in the East Worthing and Shoreham constituency. It also contains the villages of Ferring, East Preston and Rustington in the district of Arun.
The constituency was created in 1997 when the previous constituency, Worthing was divided in two. Prior to 1945, the territory of this constituency had been contained in the Horsham and Worthing seat.
The MP since the seat's creation is the Conservative Peter Bottomley. He previously represented the Woolwich West/Eltham constituency in south-east London from 1975 to 1997.
Members of Parliament
|1997||Sir Peter Bottomley||Conservative|
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||Hazel Thorpe||2,983||5.5||-3.3|
|Liberal Democrat||Hazel Thorpe||4,477||8.8||−19.0|
|Liberal Democrat||Hazel Thorpe||13,687||27.9||+1.1|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Claire Potter||12,004||26.7||+0.2|
|Legalise Cannabis||Chris Baldwin||515||1.2||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||James Walsh||11,471||26.5||−4.6|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Christopher A. Hare||16,020||31.1||N/A|
|Labour||John P. Adams||8,347||16.2||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "W" (part 5)
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Worthing West parliamentary constituency - Election 2017" – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Worthing West". BBC News Online. Retrieved 2010-05-07.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.