Wouter Jacobus Hanegraaff
10 April 1961
|Education||University of Utrecht|
|Employer||University of Amsterdam|
Wouter Jacobus Hanegraaff (born 10 April 1961) is full professor of History of Hermetic Philosophy and related currents at the University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands.[better source needed] He served as the first President of the European Society for the Study of Western Esotericism (ESSWE) from 2005 to 2013.
Hanegraaff was raised as the son of a theologian.[better source needed] He originally studied classical guitar at the Municipal Conservatory at Zwolle from 1982 to 1987, and cultural history at the University of Utrecht from 1986 to 1990. From 1992 to 1996 he was a Research Fellow at the department for the Study of Religions at the University of Utrecht. From 1996 to 1999 Hanegraaff held a postdoctoral fellowship from the Dutch Association for Scientific Research (NWO), during which time he spent a period working in Paris. In 1999 he became professor of History of Hermetic Philosophy and Related Currents at the University of Amsterdam.[better source needed] From 2002 to 2006 he has been president of the Dutch Society for the Study of Religion, and, from 2005 to 2013, president of the European Society for the Study of Western Esotericism. In 2006 he was elected member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences,[better source needed] and he is now an honorary member of the ESSWE.
- -----New Age Religion and Western Culture: Esotericism in the Mirror of Secular Thought, Brill, Leiden 1996, State University of New York Press, Albany 1998. ISBN 978-90-04-10696-3; ISBN 0-7914-3854-6.
- ----- and R.M. Bouthoorn Lodovico Lazzarelli (1447-1500): The Hermetic Writings and Related Documents, Arizona Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies, Tempe, 2005.
- -----Swedenborg, Oetinger, Kant: Three Perspectives on the Secrets of Heaven, The Swedenborg Foundation, West Chester, Pennsylvania 2007 (Swedenborg Studies Series, no. 18) ISBN 978-0-87785-321-3.
- -----Esotericism and the Academy: Rejected Knowledge in Western Culture, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 2012, ISBN 9780521196215.
- -----Western Esotericism: A Guide for the Perplexed, Bloomsbury, London 2013.
- (ed., with Peter J. Forshaw & Marco Pasi), Hermes Explains: Thirty Questions about Western Esotericism. Amsterdam University Press 2019, ISBN 9789463720205.
- (ed., with Ria Kloppenborg), Female Stereotypes in Religious Traditions. Brill, Leiden 1995, ISBN 978-90-04-10290-3.
- (ed., with Roelof van den Broek), Gnosis and Hermeticism from Antiquity to Modern Times. State University of New York Press, Albany 1998.
- (ed., with Antoine Faivre), Western Esotericism and the Science of Religion, Peeters, Louvain 1998.
- (ed., with Richard Caron, Joscelyn Godwin & Jean-Louis Vieillard-Baron), Ésotérisme, gnoses & imaginaire symbolique: Mélanges offerts à Antoine Faivre, Peeters, Louvain 2001.
- (ed. in collaboration with Antoine Faivre, Roelof van den Broek, Jean-Pierre Brach, Dictionary of Gnosis and Western Esotericism, Brill, Leiden 2005. ISBN 978-90-04-15231-1.
- (ed. with Jeffrey J. Kripal), Hidden Intercourse: Eros and Sexuality in the History of Western Esotericism. Brill, Leiden 2008.
- (ed. with Joyce Pijnenburg), Hermes in the Academy: Ten Years' Study of Western Esotericism at the University of Amsterdam. Amsterdam University Press, 2009.
- Hanegraaff, Wouter (22 October 2012). "Wouter Hanegraaff on Western Esotericism". The Religious Studies Project podcast (Interview). Interviewed by Knut Melvær. Religious Studies Project Association. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- Staff (2013). "dhr. prof. dr. W.J. (Wouter) Hanegraaff". University of Amsterdam. Archived from the original on 22 December 2017. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- Hanegraaff 1998, p. vii.
- "Wouter Hanegraaff". Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 31 January 2016. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- Hanegraaff, Wouter (1998). New Age Religion and Western Culture: Esotericism in the Mirror of Secular Thought. Leiden: Brill. ISBN 978-9004106956.
- Hanegraaff, Wouter (2012). Esotericism and the Academy: Rejected Knowledge in Western Culture. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0521196215.
- Hanegraaff, Wouter (2013). Western Esotericism: A Guide for the Perplexed. London: Bloomsbury Press. ISBN 978-1441136466.