Wowser (TV series)
This article does not cite any sources. (August 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Screenshot from Wowser
(Don-Don Domeru/Domel to Ron)
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Keiichiro Mochizuki|
|Written by||Kaoru Toshima|
Telescreen Japan Inc.|
|Original network||TV Tokyo|
|Original run||April 5, 1988 – March 27, 1989|
|Episodes||52 (104 segments)|
Wowser (どんどんドメルとロン Don-Don Domeru/Domel to Ron) is an anime based on the Belgian cartoon comic strip Cubitus. It consisted of 52 two-part episodes the running time of 20 minutes in total, and it originally aired from 5 April 1988 to 27 March 1989.
Wowser is a big white dog who lives with his owner, the Professor. In each episode, Wowser's appetite and the Professor's inventions, along with the interference of their wacky neighbors, results in chaos.
- Wowser (Cubitus in French and German, Dommel (ドメル Domeru) in Japanese, Dutch, Polish and Spanish, Teodoro in Italian and Kaaboul in Arabic) is the main character. A large tall white dog, he has a good-natured personality but a humongous appetite. Japanese voice actor: Naoki Tatsuta. English voice actor: Steve Kramer.
- Professor Dinghy (Sémaphore in French, Ron (ロン) in Japanese and Polish, Semafoor in Dutch, Professore in Italian and Abqarino in Arabic) is Wowser's owner who has a big white moustache and wears a pink sweater. He is a genius inventor, although his eccentric creations usually backfire on him. Japanese voice actor: Kaneta Kimotsuki. English voice actor: Tom Wyner.
- Ratso (Sénéchal in French, Blackie (ブラッキー Burakkī) in Japanese and Polish, Balthazar in Dutch and Spanish, Gatto in Italian and Mushakess in Arabic) is a neighbourhood cat who appears to be Wowser's rival/sometimes Wowser's friend. He is an annoying black & white cat who often sabotages the Professor's inventions. Japanese voice actress: Rika Matsumoto. English voice actor: Robert Axelrod.
- Linda Lovely (Cherry (チェリー Cherī) in Japanese, Dutch and Polish, and Nadine in Arabic; her name is also Linda in Italian version) is a teenager who seems to take quite a fancy interest towards Wowser. Japanese voice actress: Mīna Tominaga. English voice actresses: Rebecca Forstadt and Lara Cody.
- Bob Lovely is Linda's young little brother. Japanese voice actress: Tarako. English voice actress: Barbara Goodson.
- Beatrice (Beatrix (ベアトリクス Beatorikusu) in Japanese, Dutch and Polish, Bea in Italian) is a rather bossy middle aged woman who is often very rude to Wowser. Japanese voice actress: Kazuko Sugiyama. English voice actress: Edie Mirman.
- Officer Whistle is a policeman who keeps a whistle in his mouth which is used to tell people off when there is trouble about. Japanese voice actor: Kōichi Yamadera. English voice actor: Mike Reynolds.
The English-language version was produced by Saban Entertainment. Retitled Wowser, the series aired in 1990 on The Family Channel. The dub changed the names of the characters and replaced the original music.
In the U.S. in 1990 and 1991, the videos of the Wowser series were released in 4 volumes, and also in mini features of the running time of 30 minutes and 60 minutes.
The series was also dubbed in Euskera, titled as "Dommel artzain txakurra" ( Dommel the Shepherd Dog)
"Fly away - Yume no Hikouki" sung by Mitsuko Horie
"GO! GO! My Friend" sung by Mitsuko Horie
- Nine Network (1990–1991, 1995)