Promotional poster featuring various WWE wrestlers
|Date||April 5, 2020|
|Venue||Raymond James Stadium|
|WWE Network event chronology|
WrestleMania 36 is the upcoming 36th annual WrestleMania professional wrestling pay-per-view and WWE Network event produced by WWE for their Raw, SmackDown, and NXT brands. It will take place on April 5, 2020 at the Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida.
WrestleMania is considered WWE's flagship event, having first been held in 1985. It is the longest-running professional wrestling event in history and is held annually between mid-March to mid-April. It was the first of WWE's original four pay-per-views, which includes Royal Rumble, SummerSlam, and Survivor Series, dubbed the "Big Four". WrestleMania is ranked the sixth most valuable sports brand in the world by Forbes, and has been described as the Super Bowl of sports entertainment. WrestleMania 36 will be the first WrestleMania to be held in the city of Tampa, and the fourth held in the state of Florida (after XXIV, XXVIII, and 33). It will feature wrestlers from the Raw, SmackDown, and NXT brands—this will be the first WrestleMania to promote the NXT brand.
The event will include matches that result from scripted storylines, where wrestlers portray heroes, villains, or less distinguishable characters in scripted events that build tension and culminate in a wrestling match or series of matches. Results are predetermined by WWE's writers on the Raw, SmackDown, and NXT brands, while storylines are produced on WWE's weekly television shows, Monday Night Raw, Friday Night SmackDown, and NXT.
Feeling as though no one deserved an opportunity to challenge him at the Royal Rumble or WrestleMania, Raw's WWE Champion Brock Lesnar decided to enter himself into the men's Royal Rumble match as entrant number one. Lesnar dominated the first half of the match until he was eventually eliminated by Raw's Drew McIntyre, who would go on and win the match, thus earning himself a world championship match of his choosing at WrestleMania. The next night on Raw, McIntyre announced that he would challenge Lesnar for the WWE Championship at WrestleMania.
At the Royal Rumble, Raw's Charlotte Flair won the women's Royal Rumble match to earn herself a women's championship match of her choosing at WrestleMania. On the February 3 episode of Raw, Flair said she had defeated the women's champions of both Raw and SmackDown and had held those titles multiple times. She was then interrupted by Rhea Ripley, the NXT Women's Champion—a title that Flair has only held once. Ripley said that Flair should challenge her as Flair had never beaten her, but she had beaten Flair. Flair then appeared on that week's episode of NXT to address the challenge, though it went unanswered. She interrupted Bianca Belair, Ripley's opponent at TakeOver: Portland and also one of the women Flair eliminated in the Rumble match, before Ripley came out. After Flair disrespected Belair, both Ripley and Belair attacked Flair. After Ripley's match on the following Raw, she wanted an answer from Flair, who again delayed giving one, noting that Ripley may not be champion after TakeOver: Portland that weekend. After Ripley retained her title at the NXT event, she was ambushed by Flair, who also attacked Belair. Flair accepted Ripley's challenge for a match at WrestleMania, marking the first time that the Rumble winner chose an NXT championship to challenge for with the title itself being the first NXT championship to be defended at the event.
At Elimination Chamber, a Raw-branded women's Elimination Chamber match will occur, featuring Natalya, Asuka, Ruby Riott, Liv Morgan, Sarah Logan, and NXT's Shayna Baszler. The winner will face Becky Lynch for the Raw Women's Championship at WrestleMania.
|1||Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Drew McIntyre||Singles match for the WWE Championship|
|2||Rhea Ripley (c) vs. Charlotte Flair||Singles match for the NXT Women's Championship|
|3||Becky Lynch (c) vs. TBD||Singles match for the WWE Raw Women's Championship|
- "WWE and local dignitaries officially announce that WrestleMania 36 will take place in Tampa Bay in 2020". WWE. Retrieved March 7, 2019.
- "WrestleMania 36 to take place in Tampa". ESPN.com. March 7, 2019. Retrieved May 26, 2019.
- "WrestleMania 36 location: WWE returns to Florida with 2020 show in Tampa Bay". CBSSports.com. March 7, 2019. Retrieved May 28, 2019.
- Varsallone, Jim (March 8, 2019). "Tampa, rich in pro wrestling history and wrestlers, to host its first WWE WrestleMania". Miami Herald. Retrieved May 28, 2019.
- "WrestleMania 29 press conference brings WWE to Radio City Music Hall". WWE. Archived from the original on April 7, 2013. Retrieved March 31, 2014.
... WWE's flagship event lights up MetLife Stadium ... WrestleMania
- Hamilton, Ian (2006). Wrestling's Sinking Ship: What Happens to an Industry Without Competition. Lulu. p. 160. ISBN 9781411612105.
- "Forbes Fab 40 2017". Forbes. October 24, 2017. Retrieved October 24, 2017.
- Gelston, Dan. "WrestleMania is Super Bowl of sports entertainment". Associated Press. Archived from the original on March 31, 2014. Retrieved March 31, 2014.
- Grabianowski, Ed (January 13, 2006). "How Pro Wrestling Works". HowStuffWorks. Discovery Communications. Archived from the original on November 18, 2013. Retrieved March 5, 2012.
- "Live & Televised Entertainment". WWE. Archived from the original on February 26, 2009. Retrieved March 21, 2012.
- Steinberg, Brian (May 25, 2016). "WWE's 'Smackdown' Will Move To Live Broadcast On USA (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Archived from the original on May 26, 2016. Retrieved May 25, 2016.
- Powell, Jason (January 6, 2020). "01/06 WWE Raw Results: Powell's review of Brock Lesnar's return, Andrade vs. Rey Mysterio for the U.S. Championship, The Viking Raiders vs. The Street Profits vs. Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson in a Triple Threat for the Raw Tag Titles, first show of 2020". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved January 7, 2020.
- Powell, Jason (January 20, 2020). "01/20 WWE Raw Results: Powell's review of Andrade vs. Rey Mysterio in a ladder match for the U.S. Championship, Rusev and Liv Morgan vs. Bobby Lashley and Lana, WWE Champion Brock Lesnar, Royal Rumble developments". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved January 22, 2020.
- Powell, Jason. "WWE Royal Rumble results: Powell's live review of the Royal Rumble matches, "The Fiend" Bray Wyatt vs. Daniel Bryan in a strap match for the WWE Universal Championship, Becky Lynch vs. Asuka for the Raw Women's Championship". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved January 26, 2020.
- Powell, Jason. "01/27 WWE Raw Results: Powell's review of Edge's return, Royal Rumble winners Drew McIntyre and Charlotte Flair, Seth Rollins and Buddy Murphy vs. Samoa Joe and Kevin Owens for the Raw Tag Titles, Liv Morgan vs. Lana". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved January 28, 2020.
- Powell, Jason (February 3, 2020). "2/3 WWE Raw Results: Powell's review of Seth Rollins vs. Ricochet vs. Bobby Lashley in a Triple Threat for a shot at the WWE Championship at WWE Super ShowDown, Randy Orton addresses his attack on Edge, Liv Morgan vs. Lana rematch". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved February 4, 2020.
- Moore, John (February 5, 2020). "2/5 NXT TV results: Moore's review of Charlotte Flair responding to Rhea Ripley's WrestleMania challenge, Ripley and Bianca Belair meeting face to face going into their title match at NXT Takeover: Portland, new NXT Cruiserweight Champion Jordan Devlin's appearance". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved February 7, 2020.
- Powell, Jason (February 10, 2020). "2/10 WWE Raw Results: Powell's review of Becky Lynch vs. Asuka for the Raw Women's Championship, Seth Rollins, Murphy, and AOP vs. Samoa Joe, Kevin Owens, and The Viking Raiders in an eight-man tag match, the build to WWE Super ShowDown continues". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved February 10, 2020.
- Moore, John (February 16, 2020). "2/16 NXT Takeover: Portland results – Moore's live review of Adam Cole vs. Tommaso Ciampa for the NXT Championship, Rhea Ripley vs. Bianca Belair for the NXT Women's Championship, Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly vs. Matt Riddle and Pete Dunne for the NXT Tag Titles, Finn Balor vs. Johnny Gargano". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved February 16, 2020.
- Powell, Jason. "WWE announces the women's Elimination Chamber match participants, winner to face Becky Lynch for the Raw Women's Championship at WrestleMania". Pro Wrestling Dot Net. Retrieved February 17, 2020.
- Chik, Jon. "WWE Champion Brock Lesnar vs. Drew McIntyre". WWE. Retrieved January 27, 2020.
- Melok, Bobby. "NXT Women's Champion Rhea Ripley vs. Charlotte Flair". WWE. Retrieved February 16, 2020.