Wright, Australian Capital Territory
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
Construction of Wright in 2011 as viewed from Mount Stromlo.
|Population||2,753 (2016 census)|
|• Density||2,120/km2 (5,480/sq mi)|
|Gazetted||27 July 2010|
|Area||1.3 km2 (0.5 sq mi)|
|Location||10 km (6 mi) W of Canberra City|
Wright (postcode: 2611) is a suburb currently under development in the Molonglo Valley district of Canberra, located within the Australian Capital Territory, Australia. It is named in honour of Judith Wright, a poet, environmentalist and Aboriginal land rights advocate.
Location and urban structure
Construction of the first house in Wright was completed in June 2012.
Wright did not have a separate geographical identifier allocated on the date of the 2011 census, and was grouped with the Weston Creek-Stromlo statistical sub-division. In this division, there was a population of 17, with 10 males and seven females. The ABS recorded nine dwellings, with a median weekly household income of A$2,250. Peculiarly, an unusually high number of motor vehicles per dwelling was recorded, at 12.7.
At the date of the 2016 census, the population of Wright had grown to 2,753, there were 1,262 private dwellings, the median weekly household income was A$2,323, and the number of vehicles per dwelling was 1.8.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Wright (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Search for street and suburb names: Wright". Environment and Sustainable Development Directorate. ACT Government. 4 December 2013. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- Downie, Graham (3 January 2008). "Suburbs named in new district". The Canberra Times. Retrieved 23 December 2009.
- Anderson, Stephanie (11 June 2012). "Wright home ready for move-in". The Canberra Times. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "2011 Community Profiles: Weston Creek-Stromlo - SSD Bal". 2011 Census of Population and Housing. Retrieved 7 November 2014.
- "2016 Census QuickStats: Wright". quickstats.censusdata.abs.gov.au. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- Henderson, G. A. M.; Matveev, G (1980). Geology of Canberra, Queanbeyan and Environs.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wright, Australian Capital Territory.|