Wright R-1300 Cyclone 7
|R-1300 in helicopter configuration|
|National origin||United States|
|Major applications||North American T-28 Trojan|
|Developed from||Wright R-2600|
Design and development
The R-1300 is basically a single row Wright R-2600. The engine was mass-produced but not widely used. Engineering began in 1942 but the first flight of an R-1300 did not take place until 1949. The engine was produced under license by Kaiser-Frazer and later by AVCO Lycoming.
The engine was used in combat — the R-1300-1A and -1B in the A model North American T-28 Trojan and the R-1300-3, -3A, -3C and -3D in the Sikorsky H-19 Chickasaw. The R-1300-1B was used to power the Ayres Thrush. The R1300-4 and -4A were used in the N class blimp; 50 of these variants were produced by AVCO.
Early-production engines had vibration problems, an improved lateral dampener in the crank brought about most of the model changes.
- A direct drive version of the R-1300-1. It had a 0.5625:1 reduction drive. Both used the PD9F1 carburetor.
- Derated to 690.3 hp (515 kW), uses forced-air cooling fan and uses a PD9G1 carburetor.
- Similar to the R-1300-1, uses some different accessory components.
- With reduction gear for use on fixed wing aircraft.
Data from Type Certificate Data Sheet 5E-14.
- Type: 7-cylinder supercharged air-cooled single row radial engine
- Bore: 6.125 in (155.6 mm)
- Stroke: 6.312 in (160.2 mm)
- Displacement: 1,301 cu in (21.3 L)
- Length: 48.22 in (1,225 mm)
- Diameter: 55 in (1,397 mm)
- Dry weight: 1,055 lb (478 kg)
- Valvetrain: Two pushrod-actuated valves per cylinder with sodium-cooled exhaust valve
- Supercharger: 1-stage
- Fuel system: Bendix-Stromberg PD9F1 downdraft carburetor with automatic mixture control
- Cooling system: Air-cooled
- Power output: 800 hp (596 kW)
- Specific power: 0.61 hp/in³ (27.94 kW/L)
- Compression ratio: 6.20:1
- Power-to-weight ratio: 0.76hp/lb (1.25 kW/kg)
- Related development
- Wright Cyclone series
- Wright R-1820 Cyclone 9
- Wright R-2600 Twin Cyclone
- Wright R-3350 Duplex Cyclone
- Related lists
- Federal Aviation Administration (n.d.). "WRIGHT AERONATICAL DIVISION CURTISS-WRIGHT CORPORATION - MODELS: Wright Military Cyclone R-1300 Series T.C. NUMBER: 5E-14". Retrieved 2009-08-26.
- USAF Technical Manuals, Parts Breakdown, Overhaul Instructions 1951-1971 T.O. 2R-1300-14
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wright R-1300 Cyclone 7.|