Location in Pulaski County and the state of Arkansas
|• Total||2.10 sq mi (5.43 km2)|
|• Land||2.08 sq mi (5.38 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.05 km2)|
|Elevation||256 ft (78 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||2,308|
|• Density||1,100.62/sq mi (425.01/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0056563|
Wrightsville is a city in Pulaski County, Arkansas, United States. Its population was 2,114 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Little Rock–North Little Rock–Conway Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Wrightsville is located at (34.610434, -92.217113).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2), of which 2.0 square miles (5.2 km2) is land and 0.49% is water.
|This section does not cite any sources. (March 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Since 1981, Wrightsville has been home to the Arkansas Department of Correction Wrightsville Unit, which focuses on educational and rehabilitative services, aiding in workforce preparation, substance abuse recovery, and other aspects of re-entry into society for as many as 850 male and female inmates. A 212-inmate capacity boot camp program is also administered at the site for first-time non-violent inmates, along with a 50-inmate capacity female work release program, operated by the ADC since 1990. The Wrightsville Unit is a major employer in the community, with a staff of 169 employees in various fields.
Government and infrastructure
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,368 people, 262 households, and 193 families residing in the city. The population density was 667.6 people per square mile (257.7/km²). There were 291 housing units at an average density of 142.0/sq mi (54.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 24.12% White, 74.56% Black or African American, 0.07% Native American, 0.29% Asian, 0.29% from other races, and 0.66% from two or more races. 0.29% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 262 households out of which 32.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.4% were married couples living together, 24.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.3% were non-families. 23.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.86 and the average family size was 3.37.
In the city, the population was spread out with 16.5% under the age of 18, 13.7% from 18 to 24, 44.0% from 25 to 44, 18.6% from 45 to 64, and 7.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 250.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 299.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $28,036, and the median income for a family was $32,500. Males had a median income of $26,563 versus $20,000 for females. The per capita income for the city was $9,518. About 21.5% of families and 22.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 27.4% of those under age 18 and 28.0% of those age 65 or over.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jun 23, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Wrightsville city, Arkansas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 2, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Facilities 5. Arkansas Department of Corrections. Retrieved on March 8, 2011.
- "THV Extra: Arkansas' Secret Holocaust." THV. Retrieved on March 9, 2011.
- "Post Office™ Location - WRIGHTSVILLE." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on March 8, 2011.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.