Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Yasir Nawaz|
Yasir Nawazb |
|Screenplay by||Yasir Nawaz & Mohsin Ali|
|Story by||Yasir Nawaz|
Danish Taimoor |
Sohai Ali Abro
|Music by||Waqar Ali|
|Distributed by||ARY Films|
|Budget||₨4 crore (US$380,000)|
|Box office||₨30.25 crore (US$2.9 million) (Worldwide)|
Wrong No. (also written as Wrong Number) is a 2015 Pakistani romantic comedy film directed by Yasir Nawaz and co-produced by Yasir Nawaz, Nida Yasir and Hassan Zia under the production banner YNH Films. The film features Javed Sheikh, Danish Taimoor, Nadeem Jaffri, Danish Nawaz, Shafqat Cheema, Sohai Ali Abro and Janita Asma in lead roles. Wrong No. is the directorial debut of Yasir Nawaz.
The story revolves around Sallu (Danish Taimoor) who hopes to make it big in showbiz someday. However, his plans have to face the wrath of his father Haji Aba (Javed Sheikh), a family inherited butcher who wants his son to either join the other men of the family and be a butcher or get some government job. Laila (Sohai Ali Abro) is the girl next door, who has a thing for Sallu but Sallu is not interested in her and wants to focus on his career.
While Sallu's story is set in Karachi there is another track in Lahore featuring Haya (Janita Asma) who flies to Karachi to receive Shehryar (also Danish Taimoor) who arrives from Sydney and who is all set to succeed his grandfather run the company Haya works at. Meanwhile, a dreaded don Shera (Shafqat Cheema) hatches a plan to kidnap Sheheryar for his wealth and sends his top but lazy and fool henchmen (Danish Nawaz and Nauman Jaffery). However, this is in vain as his henchmen are betraying him to take his place in order. Then the story gets a bit twisted and the Wrong Number-ness kicks in.
- Javed Sheikh as Haji Abba
- Danish Taimoor as Salman (Sallu) / Shehryar
- Janita Asma as Haya
- Nayyar Ejaz as Gullu Butt
- Qavi Khan as Nawab
- Shafqat Cheema as Shera
- Sohai Ali Abro as Laila
- Nadeem Jafri as Pappi
- Danish Nawaz as Bali
- Ismail Tara as Saleem
- Tooba Siddiqui as Guest in Nachay Mann Song
- Yasir Nawaz as Cameo as Nawaz Badmash (Rusk Lover)
The film's marketing and distribution rights are held by ARY Films. Speaking with ARY News, the director/producer stated that he was happy and delighted at the support that ARY Digital Network had provided him with and that he was looking forward to the film's release on Eid-ul-Fitr. On April 13, 2015 first look posters were released online by ARY Films. On March 15, the teaser trailer was revealed on TV channels under ARY Digital Network. Three more posters were revealed on April 21. A controversial poster featuring Danish Nawaz and characters was revealed on May 19. On May 18, another character poster was revealed featuring Shafqat Cheema with his gang, playing the villain's role in the film. The theatrical trailer was revealed on June 3 by TV channels under ARY Digital Network. Two video songs, "Selfiyan" and "Kundi", were released on June 15, which received a negative response on social media.
In reply to critics, the director said, "When we started writing the film even then we knew we would get good reviews, and we will come across bad people. But the best thing about a making a film is that it’s either a hit or a flop. Either way you find out if the audience liked it or not." Renowned Indian film producer Mahesh Bhatt and Vishal Bhardwaj recorded video messages specifically urging people to watch this film. On the film's release, Javed Sheikh also recorded a video inviting Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to watch this film in the cinema.
|2.||"Nachay Mann"||Sara Raza & Nabeel Shaukat Ali||4:17|
|4.||"Koi Bata De"||Faisal Khan||3:00|
|5.||"Dheeray Dheeray"||Sara Raza & Nabeel Shaukat Ali||4:27|
The film was premiered in Lahore on July 13 and in Karachi on July 15, 2015. The film released across Pakistan on 79 screens competing Bajrangi Bhaijan and Bin Roye. It also screened in the UK on July 26 and in the UAE on August 6. Wrong No. was to release in India at a later date. The film was scheduled to be released in the US on December 11, 2015.
|The Express Tribune|
Rafay Mahmood of The Express Tribune rated the film 2.5 out of 5 stars and wrote, "It is the small moments and performances by the side actors that make an otherwise ordinary film a joyride. Beyond that, it is a test of your bladder and brain, whatever lets go first."
Momin Ali Munshi of Galaxy Lollywood rated 3.8/5 overall and summed up his review as, "Wrong Number is a complete commercial pot-boiler which has all the elements that are required to make a blockbuster. This masala entertainer will make you fall in love with the characters and will also make sure that you fall off your seat every few minutes courtesy the heavy doses of laughter that will come your way. But be warned that if you are easily offended and rate humour as being clean or dirty then this is surely not your cup of tea."
Asad Haroon of Dispatch News Desk said, "Wrong Number is a slapstick comedy filled with humor. One can't stop laughing throughout the movie and the dialogues are pretty well written and up to the mark. The script of the movie wasn’t predictable that much but the dialogues were totally unpredictable and funny to such an extent that one could say that I didn't see that coming. The production quality of Wrong number is not that great as of Bin Roye but the screen is pretty bright of wrong number."
The film had a 90% opening day, registering ₨0.75 crore (US$71,000). The film was almost 95-100% in the next two days, taking the Eid weekend total to ₨2.51 crore (US$240,000). Tuesday was again a holiday due to Eid, and the film was again 95-100% on Tuesday as it collected ₨92 million (US$870,000). Wednesday was the first working day for the film, but it yet registered 90% occupancies, collecting ₨75 million (US$710,000) on Wednesday. The film collected ₨70 million (US$660,000) on Thursday. The film was again 95% on the second weekend as it collected ₨2.5 crore (US$240,000), taking the total to ₨10.55 crore (US$1.0 million). In the UK ₨0.45 crore (US$43,000) until the second weekend.At the end of its 50 Days run in Pakistan, the film collected 15 crores from local markets emerging as a blockbuster. The film did a business of over 30 crores worldwide
- "'Wrong Number' Promises To Be A Humorous And Action Thriller". The News Tribe. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- "First person: The unusual thespian". DAWN.com. Maliha Rehman. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "'Wrong number' and 'Bin Roye' releasing on Eid. Excited?".
- "Wrong Number, Yasir Nawaz's new film". Reviewit.pk. Rashid Nazir Ali. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- "Wrong Number all set for an enthralling release this Eid". ARY News. Shahjahan Khurram. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- "Wrong Number' set to hit cinemas on Eid ul Fitr". Pakium. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- "Wrong Number Eid Weekend Business :: Houseful Result". BoxOfficeDetail. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "ARY presents 'Wrong Number'". ARY News. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- "Poster for upcoming Pakistani film 'Wrong No' released". Daily Times. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- "ARY Films releases 'Wrong No.' poster!". ARY News. Shahjahan Khurram. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- "Film Wrong Number's captivating teaser releases!". ARY News. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- "Danish Taimoor's Wrong Number trailer is funny, action packed". DAWN.com. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- "Theatrical trailer of 'Wrong Number' released". Daily Times. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- "Trailer of Pakistani Film 'Wrong Number' released". The News Teller. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- "Vulgar or funny? Yasir Nawaz still feels right about 'Wrong No.'". The Express Tribune. Hassan Choudary. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- "Mahesh Bhatt urges all to watch 'Wrong Number'". The News Tribe. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "Mahesh Bhatt urges all to watch Pakistani film 'Wrong Number' in video message". ARY News. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "Javed Shaikh invites Ammar Blouch to watch 'Wrong Number'". ARY News. Zohaib Kazmi. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "Catchy numbers in upcoming Eid flick 'Wrong Number'". arynews.tv. Retrieved 19 August 2016.
- "Track-by-Track Review of OST Wrong No". pakmediarevolution.pk. Retrieved 19 August 2016.
- "Wrong Number had its star studded premiere in Lahore". Galaxy Lollywood. Momin Ali Munshi. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "ARY Films' Wrong Number Karachi premiere impresses all". ARY News. Shahjahan Khurram. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "The box office Eidi".
- "What's right with 'Wrong No'". The Express Tribune. Rafay Mahmood. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "Wrong no. review". Galaxy Lollywood. Momin Ali Munshi. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "Melodramatic Bin Roye or Slapstick Wrong Number ? Movie Review". Asad Haroon. Dispatch News Desk. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "Wrong Number Tuesday Business :: Biggest Day For Film". BoxOfficeDetail. Retrieved 22 July 2015.
- "Wrong Number Wednesday Business :: Phenomenal". BoxOfficeDetail. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "Wrong Number Week One Business". BoxOfficeDetail. Retrieved 25 July 2015.
- "Wrong Number Pakistan Daily Business :: Becomes Biggest Grosser Of 2015". BoxOfficeDetail. Retrieved 27 July 2015.