Wroxall railway station
|Place||Wroxall, Isle of Wight|
|Area||Isle of Wight|
|Pre-grouping||Isle of Wight Railway (1864 to 1923)|
|Post-grouping||Southern Railway (1923 to 1948)
Southern Region of British Railways (1948 to 1966)
|10 September 1866||Opened|
|17 April 1966||Closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Wroxall railway station was an intermediate station on the Isle of Wight Railway line from Ryde, situated between Shanklin and Ventnor with an upland situation. To the north lay Apse Bank with its three bridges, and on leaving the station the gradient increased to 1 in 88 as Ventnor Tunnel was approached.
Reasonably busy with commuter traffic all the year round it was originally built with a single siding, goods traffic diminished rapidly with the advent of the motor bus. The Station Hotel was situated on the Up Platform and was converted into housing after the station closed. Next to this was a single storey station, now demolished. On the down side was a small shelter. The station was lit by gas up until its closure.
The station has been demolished with a new road (Station Road) running across the south end of the site. The adjacent Station Hotel still stands having been converted into residential units, located on St. Martins Road, as does the road overbridge.
- Southern Region Record by R.H.Clark page 92
- Upper Hyde Lane, Cliff and Three Arch Sheet 196, The Solent & Isle of Wight (Map). Ordnance Survey. 2006. ISBN 0-319-22869-X.
- Paye, Peter (1984). Isle of Wight Railways remembered. Oxford: OPC. ISBN 0-86093-212-5.
- Britton,A (1994). George Lewis, porter at Wroxall Station, quoted in Once upon a line (Vol 4). Oxford: OPC. ISBN 0-86093-513-2.
- Hay,P (1988). Steaming Through the Isle Of Wight. Midhurst: Middleton. ISBN 0-906520-56-8.
- Pomeroy, C (1993). Isle of Wight Railways. Oxford: Past & Present Publishing. ISBN 0-947971-62-9.
- Bennett, A (1994). Southern Holiday Lines in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. Cheltenham: Runpast. ISBN 1-870754-31-X.
- Wroxall Station "Disused Stations". Subterranea Britannica.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
IoWR : Main line