Wuhan Tianhe International Airport
Wǔhàn Tiānhé Guójì Jīchǎng
|Operator||Wuhan Tianhe International Airport Co. Ltd.|
|Focus city for|
|Elevation AMSL||34 m / 112 ft|
|Wuhan Tianhe International Airport|
Wuhan Tianhe International Airport (IATA: WUH, ICAO: ZHHH) serves Wuhan, the capital of the Hubei province, People's Republic of China.It was opened on 15 April 1995 substituting the old Hankou Wangjiadun Airport and Nanhu Airport as the major airport of Wuhan. The airport is located in Wuhan's suburban Huangpi District, around 26 kilometres to the north of Wuhan city center. It is the busiest airport of central China as it is geographically located in the centre of China's airline route network. The airport is a focus city for Air China, China Eastern Airlines and China Southern Airlines. The airport has flights to international destinations such as Bangkok, Moscow, Osaka, Paris, Seoul, and Singapore. In September 2014 China Southern Airlines announced a daily non-stop flight to San Francisco, originating from Guangzhou, operating with a Boeing 787 to begin December 16, 2014. This is Wuhan's first non-stop flight to the United States.
The airport served 20,772,000 passengers in 2016, making it the 14th busiest airport by passenger traffic in China.The name Tianhe (天河) can be literally translated as "Sky River"; it is also one of the names for the Milky Way in ancient Chinese.
Since May 1, 2015, passengers from countries such as EU countries, Japan, Korea, Russia, the U.S., when traveling to a third country, can enter China from this airport without a Chinese visa for up to 72 hours.
Terminal 2 is currently the main terminal for Tianhe Airport, which handles only domestic airlines. It has a floor area of 121,200 square meters and a designed capacity to handle 13 million passengers and 320,000 tons of cargo a year. The project was completed in April 15, 2008, at a total cost of 3.37 billion yuan (421.5 million US dollars). By 2010, Wuhan served at least 5 international and 100 domestic routes. The airport's cargo-handling capacity is to reach 144,000 tons.
The old terminal 1 was closed in 2010 after serving international flights for two years. A new international terminal was built in 2010, and has undergone subsequent expansions after seeing major increase of international travelers.
The construction of Terminal 3 started in June 2013 and is scheduled to be put in operation in 2017. A new runway, new control tower, and a transportation hub connecting the airport to the city with intercity railway and metro line have been built and opened along with the new terminal.
Airlines and destinations
|China Postal Airlines||Nanjing|
|SF Airlines||Hangzhou, Shenzen, Zhengzhou|
|Uni-Top Airlines||Chennai, Delhi, Luxembourg, Tokyo–Narita, Kuala Lumpur|
|Yangtze River Express||Guangzhou, Hangzhou, Shenzen|
A China Eastern airplane approaching Terminal 2
Two tolled expressways, the 1st (numbered S18) and the 2nd (S19) Airport Expressways, connect the airport to downtown Hankou.
Presently, Tianhe is the only civic airport in the Wuhan metropolitan area. However, the city authorities are considering repurposing the military Shanpo Airfield (山坡机场; Jiangxia District), as a commercial cargo airport. If the plans are implemented, Shanpo will become Wuhan's second airport.), located in the city's far southern suburbs (Shanpo Township,
- "1995年4月15日武汉天河机场投入营运". 荆楚网. 2008-04-17. Retrieved 2011-06-30.
- "中國空軍漢口機場歷經10年竣工". 大公網. 2007-06-08. Retrieved 2008-02-11.
- "China Southern Plans San Francisco Service from mid-Dec 2014". Airline Route. 4 September 2014. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Explanation of Tianhe". Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "武汉3月起实行72小时过境免签". Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "Xinhua - English". Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "天河机场 国际航站楼 下月扩建". Retrieved 2012-02-03.
- "武汉天河机场建成新国际航站楼". Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- 天河机场三期全面建成 T3航站楼2017年3月启用
- "Air China Begins Wuhan – Surat Thani Route from late-April 2015". Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "China Eastern reopens Wuhan – Sydney reservation from late-Jan 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- "Malaysia Airlines adds 3 Chinese routes in June 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 13 February 2017.
- "Malindo Air Plans Wuhan Service from late-June 2016". routesonline. Retrieved 3 June 2016.
- "Spring Airlines to Start Wuhan – Osaka Service from mid-July 2014". Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- 武汉机场二通道继续免费 15分钟从香港路开到机场 (Second Airport Expressway is now open and remains free for the time being)
- 天河机场大巴运行时刻表 (Tianhe Airport bus schedule)
- 武汉城市圈第4条城际铁路正式开通 空铁交通实现无缝对接
- 武汉地铁机场线开通 乘地铁赶飞机还需留意这两点
- 武汉第二机场项目已上报发改委 江夏山坡机场开始“控违” (The plan for Wuhan's second airport has been submitted to the National Development and Reform Commission. Shanpo Airfield, in Jiangxia District, started to be considered), 21 November 2012
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wuhan Tianhe International Airport.|
- Wuhan Tianhe International Airport Official website (in Chinese)
- Airport information for ZHHH at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.