Wuhan University of Science and Technology
This article does not cite any sources. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||厚德 博学 崇实 去浮|
Motto in English
|Cultivate Virtue, Enrich Knowledge, Value Practice, Remove Pretentiousness|
|Campus||Urban & Suburban|
|Wuhan University of Science and Technology|
Wuhan University of Science and Technology (WUST) is a public, comprehensive, research university located in Wuhan, the capital of Hubei province, China. It is a key university co-administered by the Chinese Ministry of Education and Hubei province.
The history of WUST dates back to the Hubei Technical Institute (simplified Chinese: 湖北工艺学堂; traditional Chinese: 湖北工藝學堂; pinyin: Húběi Gōngyì Xuétáng), which was founded in 1898 by Zhang Zhidong in the late Qing Dynasty.
In 1958, it was renamed as Wuhan Institute of Metallurgy (simplified Chinese: 武汉钢铁学院; traditional Chinese: 武漢鋼鐵學院; pinyin: Wǔhàn Gāngtiě Xuéyuàn) and began to offer four-year degree programs. At that time, it affiliated with the Ministry of Metallurgy. The affiliation was revoked in 1998, and the university is now governed by the Hubei Province and the Ministry of Education.
In 1995, two colleges were merged into Wuhan Institute of Metallurgy: Wuhan Advanced Construction School (simplified Chinese: 武汉建筑高等专科学校; traditional Chinese: 武漢建築高等專科學校; pinyin: Wǔhàn jiànzhù gāoděng zhuānkē xuéxiào) and Wuhan Medical School of Metallurgy (simplified Chinese: 武汉冶金医学高等专科学校; traditional Chinese: 武漢冶金醫學高等專科學校; pinyin: Wǔhàn yějīn yīxué gāoděng zhuānkē xuéxiào). Wuhan Institute of Metallurgy changed its name to Wuhan Metallurgy University of Science and Technology.(simplified Chinese: 武汉冶金科技大学; traditional Chinese: 武漢冶金科技大學; pinyin: Wǔhàn yějīn kējì Dàxué).
In 1999, it became known as Wuhan University of Science and Technology. WUST is authorized to confer 60 bachelor's degree programs, 30 doctoral degree programs, 104 master's degree programs as well as master's degree programs of Engineering in 17 fields. Among those, 15 first-class master's degree were ranked top 50 and 2 first-class master's degrees (i.e. Metallurgy Engineering and Mining Engineering) were ranked top 10 by the Degree of Ministry of Education & Postgraduate Education Development Center in 2012.
The university has established many high-level research centers, including one national key laboratories and 12 experimental centers with big enterprises such as Wuhan Iron and Steel Corporation, Panzhihua Iron and Steel, Liuzhou Iron and Steel, and Handan Iron and Steel.
- School of Materials and Metallurgy (材料与冶金学院)
- School of Machinery and Automation (机械自动化学院)
- School of Resources and Environmental Engineering (资源与环境工程学院)
- School of Information Science and Engineering (信息科学与工程学院)
- School of Computer Science and Technology (计算机科学与技术学院)
- School of Chemical Engineering and Technology (化学与化工学院)
- School of Automobile and Traffic Engineering (汽车与交通工程学院)
- School of Science (理学院)
- Evergrande School of Management (恒大管理学院)
- School of Art and Design (艺术与设计学院)
- School of Arts, Law and Economics (文法与经济学院)
- School of Foreign Language (外国语学院)
- School of Urban Construction (城市建设学院)
- Medical School (医学院)
- International College (国际学院)
- College of Life Sciences and Health (生命科学与健康学院)
- Staff: 2,600
- Faculty: 1,600
- Member of Academician of China (double engaged): 8
- Member of “Chu Tian Scholar Program” Professor: 32
- Member of Professor and Assistant Professor: 900
- Xu Jiayin (许家印), Chinese billionaire businessman, and chairman of Evergrande Group, a Chinese real estate developer.
- Qingshan Campus (青山校区), 947 Heping Avenue, Qingshan District, Wuhan, China
- Huangjiahu Campus (黄家湖校区), Hongshan District, Wuhan, China
Full-time students: 24,764
WUST Women's basketball team has won several national championships in CUBA and won the "President Cup" in the fifth and sixth China University Students Sports meetings successively.
- Wuhan Tianyou Hospital (Affiliated Medical College of WUST) category: IIIA | National
- Founded in 1958, it is one of the large libraries in the universities in Hubei Province.
- The Library in Qingshan Old Campus has seven floors, occupying an area of 11,000 square meters, plus the library branch in School of Construction and School of Medicine, the total area can achieve 16,000 square meters. The library has 20 reading rooms, and 2,400 reading seat, can receive at a maximum of 4,000 readers every day. It is the orange building in the top photo.
- Nowadays, the whole library stores about 1,000,000 literature, of which 880,000 books, foreign periodicals about 100,000 volumes, video literature 1,000 copies, electrical literature 8,000 kinds. Every year, 1,200 kinds of Chinese and foreign literature are subscribed, and the amount increases at the speed of 12,000 volumes per year.
- Wuhan University of Science and Technology (English)
- Wuhan University of Science and Technology (Chinese)