Wycliffe Global Alliance
|Formation||1 May 1980|
Wycliffe Global Alliance is an alliance of organisations with the common objective of translating the Bible for every language group that needs it[clarification needed]. The organisation is named after John Wycliffe, who was responsible for the first complete English translation of the whole Bible into Middle English.
Wycliffe is most often associated with the Protestant section of Christianity. There are currently over 100 Wycliffe member organisations from over 60 countries. Wycliffe Global Alliance is also a member of the Forum of Bible Agencies International.
As of October 2018[update], translations of either portions of the Bible, the New Testament, or the whole Bible exist in over 3,350 of the 7,350 languages used on Earth, including 245 sign languages.
Wycliffe Bible Translators USA was founded in 1942 by William Cameron Townsend. When other Wycliffe organisations were founded around the world, they initially operated as its divisions in those countries. A new organisation, Wycliffe Bible Translators International, was started in May 1980 to provide this international leadership.
In 1991 Wycliffe International was restructured so that the Wycliffe organisations in each country became fully independent, causing Wycliffe International to become an association of organisations. In February 2011, Wycliffe International took on a new "doing business as" name, Wycliffe Global Alliance.
Philosophy and methods
Wycliffe bases its philosophy on Townsend's Protestantism which regards the intercultural and multilinguistic spread of Christianity as a divine command. The organization adheres to the principle of sola scriptura and regards Biblical texts as the authoritative and infallible word of God.
Wycliffe states its focus is participating with and encouraging Christian churches to minister to minority languages, so that every language community can have access to the Bible.
Wycliffe Global Alliance emphasizes its international nature. It describes itself as "multicultural, multinational, creative and facilitative." Wycliffe Global Alliance has its headquarters in Singapore. The Global Leadership Team is a virtual team and is spread across Africa, the Americas, Asia, Australia, and Europe.
- Finland: Wycliffe Raamatunkääntäjät
- Germany: Allianz-Mission, Wycliff
- Ghana: GILLBT
- Indonesia: Kartidaya, Gereja Protestan Indonesia Donggala, Protestant Church of Maluku
- Netherlands: Wycliffe Bijbelvertalers
- Norway: Wycliffe Norge
- United Kingdom: Wycliffe Bible Translators (UK & Ireland)
- United States: Wycliffe Bible Translators USA, Seed Company, Faith Comes By Hearing
- "John Wycliffe". Oxford reference. 20 January 2010. Retrieved 20 November 2014. (subscription required)
- "Wycliffe Global Alliance". Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "2018 Scripture Access Statistics". Wycliffe Global Alliance. Retrieved 29 September 2019.
- "Wycliffe Bible Translators". Charity choices. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Wycliffe International Formed 40 Years Ago Today". Retrieved 12 May 2020.
- "Introducing the Wycliffe Global Alliance" (PDF). Retrieved 16 May 2020.
- "Doctrinal statement". Wycliffe Global Alliance. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Why we exist" (statement). Wycliffe. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Introducing the Wycliffe Global Alliance" (PDF). World Evangelicals. Retrieved 20 November 2014.