Xôi (Vietnamese pronunciation: [soj]) is a sweet (ngọt) or savory (mặn) Vietnamese dish made from glutinous rice and other ingredients. Although it is often served as a dessert, in many mountainous areas in Vietnam, like the Central Highlands and Hoàng Liên Sơn mountains in northern Vietnam, people eat xôi as a main dish. Xôi is a common on-the-go breakfast item, and a popular snack nationwide.
Sweet xôi are called xôi ngọt in Vietnamese. They include the following varieties:
- Xôi bắp - made with corn, sugar, fried onions, and smashed cooked mung beans
- Xôi đậu đen - made with black urad beans
- Xôi đậu xanh - made with mung beans
- Xôi dừa - made with coconut
- Xôi gấc - made with the aril and seeds of the gấc fruit
- Xôi khoai mì - made with cassava
- Xôi lá cẩm (also called xôi tím) - made with the magenta plant
- Xôi lá cẩm đậu xanh - made with the magenta plant and mung beans
- Xôi lá dứa - made with pandan leaf extract for the green color and a distinctive pandan flavor
- Xôi lam - cooked in a tube of bamboo of the genus Neohouzeaua and often served with sesame seeds and salt; a specialty of highland minority groups
- Xôi lúa - with boiled waxy maize, fried shallot and mung bean paste
- Xôi nếp than - made with black glutinous rice
- Xôi ngũ sắc - 5-colored xôi: purple from the leaf extract of the magenta plant, green from pandan leaf, red from gấc fruit, yellow from mung beans, and the white color of natural glutinous rice
- Xôi nhộng - made with silk worms
- Xôi sầu riêng - made with durian
- Xôi vị - hard cooked xôi with pandan leaves.
- Xôi vò - the glutinous rice grains do not stick together in this type of xôi, as they are coated with ground peeled-and-boiled mung beans
- Xôi xiêm - cooked with coconut juice
- Xôi xoài - made with coconut milk and fresh ripe mango; of Thai origin
Savory xôi are called xôi mặn in Vietnamese. They include the following varieties:
- Xôi cá - fried fish xôi
- Xôi chiên phồng - deep-fried glutinous rice patty
- Xôi gà - with chicken
- Xôi khúc - with mung bean filling with a coating of pandan leaves paste
- Xôi lam - cooked in a tube of bamboo of the genus Neohouzeaua and often served with grilled pork or chicken; a specialty of highland minority groups
- Xôi lạp xưởng or xôi lạp xường - made with Chinese sausage, meat floss and boiled quail egg
- Xôi thập cẩm - subgum xôi
- Xôi thập cẩm chiên - fried subgum xôi
- Xôi xíu mại - similar to the Cantonese siu mai
- Xôi đậu phộng (southern Vietnamese name, also spelled xôi đậu phụng; called xôi lạc in northern Vietnam) - made with peanuts
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Xôi.|
- Thanh Lê. "Tricks to simply make xôi đậu xanh by rice cooker" (in Vietnamese). Khỏe & Đẹp. Phunutoday.vn. Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- "How to make delicious xôi gấc for New Year celebrations" (in Vietnamese). Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- "Way to easily cook delicious xôi lạc" (in Vietnamese). Retrieved 4 March 2017.