X, The Life and Times of Malcolm X
X, The Life and Times of Malcolm X is an opera with music by Anthony Davis and libretto by Thulani Davis. Based on the life of the civil rights leader Malcolm X. The opera premiered in a semi-staged production in Philadelphia in 1985 and received its first fully staged production at the New York City Opera in 1986.
The opera was given its premiere at the American Musical Theatre Festival in Philadelphia, PA on October 9, 1985. This production with orchestra was only semi-staged. The first fully staged performance of the opera was presented by the New York City Opera on September 28, 1986. The Oakland Opera Theater performed the work in June 2006. New York City Opera presented an abridged concert version on May 12, 2010 at the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture.
- Malcolm (baritone)
- Elijah/Street (high tenor)
- Louise/Betty (soprano)
- Ella (mezzo-soprano)
- Reginald (bass-baritone)
- Young Malcolm Little (boy soprano)
- Henahan, Donal "Anthony Davis's 'X, The Life and Times of Malcolm X'", New York Times, September 29, 1986
- G. Schirmer, Anthony Davis: X, The Life and Times of Malcolm X
- Kosman, Joshua, "Scrappy Oakland theater triumphantly revives gripping Malcolm X opera", San Francisco Chronicle, June 6, 2006
|This article about an English language opera is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|