2015 San Diego Comic-Con International promotional poster
|Directed by||Bryan Singer|
|Music by||John Ottman|
|Cinematography||Newton Thomas Sigel|
|Edited by||John Ottman|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
X-Men: Apocalypse is an upcoming American superhero film based on the X-Men characters that appear in Marvel Comics. It is intended to be the sequel to 2014's X-Men: Days of Future Past and the ninth installment in the X-Men film series. Directed by Bryan Singer, with a screenplay by Simon Kinberg from a story conceived by Dan Harris, Michael Dougherty, Kinberg, and Singer, the film features an ensemble cast starring James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Oscar Isaac, Nicholas Hoult, Rose Byrne, Olivia Munn, Evan Peters, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Sophie Turner, Tye Sheridan, Alexandra Shipp, Lucas Till, Josh Helman, Lana Condor, and Ben Hardy.
The film was announced by Singer in December 2013 with Kinberg, Dougherty and Harris attached to develop the story. Casting began in October 2014 while principal photography commenced in April 2015 in Montreal, Canada and ended in August of the same year. X-Men: Apocalypse is scheduled for release on May 27, 2016, in North America.
- A mutant pacifist and the world's most powerful telepath. He is the founder of Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. McAvoy shaved his head for the role.
- A metal-controlling mutant and one of Apocalypse's horsemen. According to Fassbender, Lehnsherr has fallen in love with a woman in Poland and is trying to live a normal life there.
- A mutant with shapeshifting abilities. According to Singer, Raven is on her own, helping rescue mutants who are oppressed or enslaved, including Nightcrawler. Lawrence said "she hears about what happened to Erik and she wants to seek him out and help him."
- An ancient mutant born with a variety of superhuman abilities who further augmented himself after merging with Celestial technology. Isaac described Apocalypse as the "creative-slash-destructive force of [the] Earth." He added, "When things start to go awry, or when things seem like they're not moving towards evolution, [Apocalypse] destroys those civilizations."
- A mutant with blue fur, prehensile feet and superhuman strength, agility and reflexes.
- A CIA agent and love interest of Professor X.
- A mutant and one of Apocalypse's horsemen. Munn described Psylocke as "very lethal, very powerful and very strong." She practiced swordfighting in preparation for the role.
- A mutant who can move at superhuman speeds.
- A teleporting mutant. Singer said that Nightcrawler is rescued by Raven and is a source of comic relief.
- A mutant with powerful telekinetic and telepathic abilities. Turner states that she was cast in the film because of the "dark side" of her character Sansa Stark in Game of Thrones. She compares Jean to Sansa and described being an outcast in the human world, who struggles with her power and gift, the same way Sansa felt, who wanted to live a normal life. Turner learned archery in preparation for the role.
- A mutant who can project energy beams from his eyes and wears a visor or sunglasses to control them. Sheridan describes Cyclops as "angry and a bit lost." He added, "He's now learning about being a mutant and trying to handle his powers."
- A mutant who can control weather and one of Apocalype's horsemen. Shipp shaved her head partially, and sported a Mohawk for the role.
- A military officer who hates mutants.
- A winged mutant and one of Apocalypse's horsemen. Hardy practiced indoor skydiving in preparation for his role.
In December 2013, Bryan Singer announced X-Men: Apocalypse on the social networking service Twitter for a May 27, 2016 release. In the same month, Simon Kinberg, Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty were revealed by Singer to be attached to work on the story of the film. According to Singer, the film will focus on the origin of the mutants and will feature the younger versions of Cyclops, Jean Grey, and Storm. Singer also said that he was considering Gambit and a younger version of Nightcrawler to appear. According to Kinberg, it will take place in 1983 and will complete a trilogy that began with 2011's X-Men: First Class. He also said that the film is set 20 years before 2000's X-Men. In September 2014, 20th Century Fox officially announced that Singer would direct the film. Singer has called this film "kind of a conclusion of six X-Men films, yet a potential rebirth of younger, newer characters" and the "true birth of the X-Men".
Singer said that Apocalypse is the main focus of the film. Kinberg said that the younger versions of Scott Summers, Storm and Jean Grey appearing in the film are "as much a part of the film as the main cast". He described Summers as "not yet the squeaky-clean leader", Storm as a "troubled character who is going down the wrong path in life", and Grey as "complex, interesting and not fully mature."
In October 2014, casting for X-Men: Apocalypse began. In November, Singer confirmed that Oscar Isaac would portray Apocalypse. In January 2015, Singer announced that Alexandra Shipp, Sophie Turner, and Tye Sheridan will portray young Storm, Jean, and Cyclops. The same month, Kinberg confirmed that Rose Byrne would reprise her role as Moira MacTaggert in the film. In February, Kodi Smit-McPhee was cast as Nightcrawler and Ben Hardy was cast in an unspecified role. In March, Singer announced that Lana Condor was cast as Jubilation Lee. In April, Singer confirmed that Hardy will portray Angel, Olivia Munn will portray Psylocke, and Lucas Till will return as Havok. In May, Singer announced that the mutant Caliban will appear in the film. In July, McAvoy revealed on Conan that Josh Helman is in the film as William Stryker.
- Ford, Rebecca; Kit, Borys (December 5, 2013). "Release Date Announced for X-Men: Apocalypse". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on October 27, 2014. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "'X-Men: Apocalypse': Who will return? What new mutants may appear? Scoop on the next X-Men film -- Exclusive". Entertainment Weekly. April 11, 2014. Retrieved April 11, 2014.
- "James McAvoy Talks 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Battle, Getting Into the 'Patrick Stewart' Zone". Entertainment Tonight.
- "'X-Men: Apocalypse': James McAvoy Goes Bald for Professor X". Variety. May 9, 2015. Retrieved July 14, 2015.
- Lovett, Jamie (July 13, 2015). "X-Men: Apocalypse's Four Horsemen Revealed". comicbookmovie.com. Retrieved September 3, 2015.
- Stack, Tim (July 16, 2015). "'X-Men: Apocalypse': First look at the new generation in EW". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved September 3, 2015.
- Singer, Bryan (November 24, 2014). "Bryan Singer on Twitter: "#OscarIsaac is bringing on the Apocalypse and I couldn't be more excited!"". Twitter. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- Franich, Darren (January 30, 2015). "'X-Men: Apocalypse': Rose Byrne returning as Moira MacTaggert -- Exclusive". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved January 31, 2015.
- Singer, Bryan (April 13, 2015). "Bryan Singer on Instagram: "Excited to welcome @oliviamunn as Betsy Braddock! #Psylocke #XmenApocalypse #XMEN"". Instagram. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- Stack, Tim (July 17, 2015). "X-Men: Apocalypse star Olivia Munn on Psylocke's latex costume". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved July 23, 2015.
- "X-Men: Apocalypse Star Olivia Munn Shows Off Sword Skills". Comingsoon.net. June 28, 2015. Retrieved June 29, 2015.
- Tilly, Chris (May 21, 2014). "Quicksilver Will Have Expanded Role In X-Men: Apocalypse". IGN. Retrieved June 6, 2015.
- "X-Men: Apocalypse Will Feature A Bigger And Better Quicksilver Scene". CinemaBlend.com.
- Singer, Bryan (February 17, 2015). "Bryan Singer on Instagram: "Excited to welcome @kodismitmcphee to the cast of #XmenApocalypse as young #Nightcrawler."". Instagram. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- "Storm, Jean Grey, Nightcrawler, Jubilee and Cyclops in new X-Men: Apocalypse stills". Nerd Reactor.
- Singer, Bryan (January 22, 2015). "Bryan Singer on Twitter: Meet our new and brilliant young mutants: @Alexshipppp as #Storm @SophieT as #JeanGrey and @TyeSheridan as #Cyclops. #XmenApocalypse". Twitter. Retrieved January 22, 2015.
- "Game of Thrones' Sophie Turner says she was cast as Jean Grey in X-Men thanks to "Dark Sansa"". IGN Entertainment. February 10, 2015. Retrieved August 2, 2015.
- "'X-Men Apocalypse' Cast Photo: Sophie Turner Prepares For Jean Grey Role By Imitating Jennifer Lawrence Character Katniss Everdeen". Design & Trend. June 17, 2015. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- Gallagher, Brian (May 4, 2015), 'X-Men Apocalypse' Photo: Meet Cyclops and Havok's Parents, Movie Web, retrieved August 16, 2015
- Sharf, Zack (July 24, 2015). "Tye Sheridan on Getting Locked Up in 'Stanford Prison Experiment' and Joining the 'X-Men'". Indiewire. Retrieved August 30, 2015.
- "X-Men: Apocalypse Cairo Set Teased in New Photo". SuperheroHype!.
- Sonalee Singh (July 17, 2015). "'X-Men: Apocalypse': First Look At Apocalypse And Psylocke's Costume; Storm Seen With A Mohawk". International Business Times.
- Michael Martin. "News X-Men: Apocalypse: X-Men: Apocalypse hi-res images released". IGN Africa.
- Singer, Bryan. "Welcome back #lucastill #xmen #XmenApocalypse #jamesmcavoy #michaelfassbender #jenniferlawrence #nicholashoult #rosebyrne How time flies! #XmenFirstClass". Instagram. Retrieved April 17, 2015.
- Singer, Bryan (17 July 2015). "Happy to welcome back Josh Helman who happens to be shooting with fellow Aussie Rose Byrne today. #aussieinvasion #rosebyrne #sydney #joshhelman #adelaide #xmenapocalypse #2016 #xmen #XMen15". Instagram. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- Sonalee Singh (July 17, 2015). "'X-Men: Apocalypse' Cast Update: Josh Helman Returns As Mutant Hater Colonel William Stryker". International Business Times.
- Singer, Bryan (March 25, 2015). "Bryan Singer on Instagram: "I'd officially like to welcome our newest mutant #JubilationLee, #Jubilee @LanaCondor to #XMEN #Apocalypse"". Instagram. Retrieved March 25, 2015.
- "X-Men: Apocalypse's Lana Condor makes her debut as Jubilee on set". Daily Mail. UK.
- Hewitt, Chris (April 9, 2015). "Exclusive: Bryan Singer Confirms Ben Hardy Is Angel In X-Men: Apocalypse". Empire. Retrieved April 9, 2015.
- "X-Men: Apocalypse Director Bryan Singer Confirms Angel Casting, Hints at Archangel". IGN.
- Hardy, Ben (May 30, 2015). "Ben Hardy on Twitter: "Angel needs to know how to fly!". Retrieved June 5, 2015.
- Singer, Bryan (December 19, 2013). "Bryan Singer on Twitter: "Late night #XMen #Apocalypse story session. #SimonKinberg @DanimalHarris @Mike_Dougherty It's snowing in Egypt!"". Twitter. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- Stack, Tim (January 7, 2014). "X-Men: Apocalypse: Bryan Singer teases new film ‘will address mutant origins’ — Exclusive". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- "'X-Men: Apocalypse' Will Star Cyclops, Jean Grey and Storm". Sci-Fi Now. May 7, 2014. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- "Bryan Singer revela qué mutantes regresarán en X-Men: Apocalypse". Cine Premiere (in Spanish). March 20, 2014. Retrieved February 25, 2014.
- "The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith: X-Men: Days of Future Past Q&A". The Q & A Podcast. June 13, 2014. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- Parfitt, Orlando (September 26, 2014). "X-Men Writer On Apocalypse Plot Twists, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch And Much More (Exclusive)". Yahoo!. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- Fleming, Jr., Mike (September 22, 2014). "Bryan Singer Set To Helm 'X-Men: Apocalypse'". Deadline. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- "X-Men: Apocalypse: See concept art from director Bryan Singer's new mutant sequel". Entertainment Weekly. July 3, 2015. Retrieved August 10, 2015.
- White, James (April 29, 2015). "Exclusive: Bryan Singer Reveals New X-Men: Apocalypse Concept Art". Empire. Retrieved April 29, 2015.
- Singer, Bryan (October 10, 2014). "Bryan Singer on Twitter: "The glamorous casting process begins! #XmenApocalypse". Twitter. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- Kroll, Justin (February 24, 2015). "Ben Hardy Joins the Cast of 'X-Men: Apocalypse'". Variety. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- "X-Men: Apocalypse will feature Marvel mutant Caliban". BBC. May 27, 2015. Retrieved May 28, 2015.
- Jamie, Lovett (May 26, 2015). "New X-Men: Apocalypse Official Set Photo Confirms Caliban". Comicbook.com. Retrieved May 28, 2015.
- Coco, Team. "The "X-Men: Apocalypse" Cast's Violent Games - CONAN on TBS". YouTube. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- "‘X-Men: Apocalypse’ Begins Production; First Official Look at Kodi Smit-McPhee as Nightcrawler". Screen Rant. April 27, 2015. Retrieved April 27, 2015.
- "ACTRA Montreal – What’s Shooting". July 16, 2015.
- Jayson, Jay (August 22, 2015). "X-Men: Apocalypse Wraps Main Filming". Comicbook.com. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
- Official website
- X-Men: Apocalypse at the Internet Movie Database
- X-Men: Apocalypse at Box Office Mojo
- X-Men: Apocalypse at Metacritic
- X-Men: Apocalypse at Rotten Tomatoes