|Genres||progressive metal, fusion|
Kaarel Tamra - keyboards|
Risto Virkhausen - guitars
Karl-Juhan Laanesaar - drums
Tamar Nugis - vocal
Roland Jairus - bass guitar
X-Panda is a progressive metal and fusion band from Estonia. Their music is mainly instrumental but few of their songs also include vocals.  The band is known for energetic and powerful live shows.
The band was founded as a project for a local song competition in Tartu in April 2009. The newly formed group won the competition with their song “Dickybirds”. The group went on to participate in the Estonian Noortebänd 2010 competition, an annual national competition for musical groups consisting of members that are younger than 26 years old. They won the competition, with their cover of the song Siren by Malcolm Lincoln, the Estonian representative in the Eurovision Song Contest 2010 in Oslo, Norway. Their critically acclaimed debut album Flight of Fancy (2011) was nominated album of the year in metal category of Estonian Music Awards. X-Panda has been performing at music festivals in Latvia, Finland and Lithuania. The band has played several times in the Netherlands: Progmotion festival in 2014 followed by concerts at Cultuurpodium Boerderij in Zoetermeer and W2 Poppodium in Den Bosch in 2015. X-Panda has released music videos for the songs „Revelation“ and „Slaves of Lies“. The band has collaborated with ESTuudio mixed choir, Tartu Youth Choir, Tallinn International Youth Orchestra.
The style of X-Panda can be described as energetic and theatrical, it is both progressive while simultaneously accessible and catchy. Their music has a powerful melodic edge as well as a great metallic basis as well as jazz fusion hooks and enhancements - it is a mixture of progressive metal, fusion, industrial and motion picture soundtracks. Fusing different genres and using live visuals enables the band to create shows with wide spectrum of emotions and dynamics. The band is influenced by Dream Theater, Planet X, Virgil Donati, Simon Phillips, Joe Satriani, Porcupine Tree and Nightwish.
X-Panda's debut album Flight of Fancy was released in september 2011 and it has been well received internationally by the critics in progressive music and metal genres. The album was nominated for the best metal album of the year at the Estonian Music Awards 2012.
X-Panda performed at the Progmotion Festival in 2013 in Uden.
- Review: X-Panda - Flight Of Fancy (2011) - Podcast Progshine
- "Concert Reviews Archive". Dutch Progressive Rock Page.
- PROG ROCK MUSIC TALK: Review: X–Panda-Flight Of Fancy
- "X-Panda, Flights of Fancy".[permanent dead link] Metal Revolution.
- " FOTOD: Noortebänd X-Panda esitles debüütalbumit". September 2011 Noorte hääl
- "Noortebänd 2010 võitja X-Panda: "See ei ole kohale jõudnud meile!" (in Estonian)". Retrieved 2011-12-07.
- "FOTOD: Noortebänd 2010 võitja on X-Panda (in Estonian)". Retrieved 2011-12-07.
- X-Panda - Flight Of Fancy BACKGROUND MAGAZINE Review
- "Flight of Fancy album & reviews on Progarchives.com". Retrieved 2011-12-07.
- "Flight of Fancy review". Retrieved 2011-12-07.. Metal Storm
- "X-Panda: Flight of Fancy review". Retrieved 2011-12-07.. Sea of Tranquility
- "Estonian Music Awards 2012: winners and nominations (in Estonian)". Retrieved 2011-12-07. Sea of Tranquility
- "X-Panda, Synaesthesia". Background Magazine, January 16, 2015