Christophe Greffe (CEO),|
Nicolas Poelst (Int'l Sales Manager)
Digital X-ray, |
Number of employees
|10 (2015), 14 (2016)|
Founded in 2010, the company won the Belgium Deloitte Technology Fast 50 in 2015 and again in 2017. It has supplied x-ray solutions to Airbus, Safran, TOTAL, the TÜV. The company also x-ray material to the FBI Academy at Quantico and to the training center of Huntsville, Alabama.
Company built its reputation on the user-friendliness of its solutions. In 2017, it launched the development of Automatic Defect Recognitions tools (ADR) in collaboration with several Walloon universities and companies ».
The company designs and manufactures portable X-ray generators, flat panel detectors and stationary x-ray systems. It is active in the field of foundries and shipyeards, in the aeronautics (Safran, Turbomeca, RAAF, SABCA, SONACA) and in the oil industry in which it supplies TOTAL. In security the applications are demining (EOD and IED), forensics, customs and counter-terrorism.
In 2011, the company developed a customised X-ray scanner for the Royal Museum for Central Africa of Belgium. The system was dedicated to the study of zoological specimens of the Institute, some more than 70 years old. In using two flat panels, the system can X-ray small specimen from 1 to 3 cm with a resolution of 48 µm up to snakes 1 m long.
End 2014, X-RIS wins a contract with the FBI Academy. According to journalist Eric Dagonnier, the system distinguishes itself by its « determining speed » that « realises the analysis in less than 20 seconds ». The contract was renewed in 2015 but this time for the Alabama training center.
In November 2015, the company wins the Deloitte Technology Fast 50 challenge rewarding the 50 technological enterprises with the highest growing rate in Belgium. X-RIS also comes first in the category IT & Digital Solutions for its innovation and performances. It wins once again in 2017 in the category hardware.
Products and technologies
Digital X-ray can generate images on the spot for immediate analysis, for inspection and security duties including bomb detection and disposal, as a tool for VIP security and protection, searches for drug and contraband smuggling, customs offices, forensics and applications in Nondestructive testing (NDT) such as pipe inspections in refineries and the petrochemical industry, composite material testing in the aerospace industry as well as inspection of welding in shipyards and art and archeological artifacts.
The following products have been designed and are manufactured and supplied by X-RIS:
- GemX is a battery-powered, wireless controlled, portable constant potential X-ray monobloc. It can operate up to 200 kV. The oil insulation offers a duty cycle of 2 hours of continuous X-ray per day. The smal focal spot of 0.7 x 0.8 mm (EN 12543) improves image quality. In combination with a CR or a DR, GemX can be used for the inspection of steel up to 40 mm thick in compliance with NDT standards.
Flat panel detectors
- Dereo UP (ultra-portable) are Direct Radiography (DR) flat panel detectors. They provide a digital image of the objects that are radiographied. DeReO WA have a wide active area of 40 cm x 40 cm or 25 x 30 cm and a real time inspection modality to work in continuous mode as a movie camera. Their rugged conception and the fact that they doesn't require any synchronisation make them very flexible to use on the field. Their pixel of 200 µm and 140 µm offer a good compromise between sensitivity, signal to noise ratio (SNR) and resolution. They are controlled with Maestro NDT software. Fixed versions and high energy versions have been developed for castings applications and to be used in combination with gamma sources or linear accelerators.
- Dereo HR (high resolution) are ultra-small panels with pixels of 48 and 96 µm. The CMOS reading head and the electronic board have been separated in two modules. This offers an important compactness to the reading head. Two edges around the detective area have a width of only 3 mm of dead area. This design permits to use the panel in area with difficult access. Reading heads are interchangeable and the end-user can use the most appropriate one in function of circumstances for an optimized cost. The detector is IP65. The electronic module is battery-powered and can also control some X-ray generators wireless. DeReO HR is class-B ISO 17636-2 compliant from 1.5 to 12 mm thickness of standard steel alloys.
- X-RIS official website
- RTBF, X-RIS décroche un contrat avec le FBI, February 13, 2015 (video)
- CanalZ - Le Vif, Cocktail Fast 50 - 20/11/15, November 20, 2015 (video)
- Pierre-François Lovens, X-RIS a poursuivi sa folle croissance en 2016, La Libre Belgique, 24 mars 2017
- Els Jonckheere, Waalse X-RIS innoveert met röntgentechnologie, Engineeringnet.be, 25 mai 2016.
- Projet ADRIC, Communiqué de presse du pôle Mecatech.
- Projet ADRIC, Press Release, Mecatech Pôle.
- Press release - Final Fast 50 2015, Deloitte, 19 November 2015
- La start-up liégeoise X-RIS fournit du matériel au FBI, Trends, 12 February 2015.
- Jacqueline Remits, Un contrat prestigieux avec le FBI et une start-up boostée (pdf), W+B, n°128, Summer 2015, pp.28-31
- Renée Cordes, X-ray vision. Ans-based start-up X-RIS provides digital radiography solutions for industry and security, Wallonia and Brussels Magazine, summer 2015, pp.8-9.
- Éric Dagonnier, Des caméras liégeoises au service de déminage du FBI, RTBF, 12 February 2015.
- Isabelle Lemaire, X-RIS rayonne à l'export et séduit le FBI, La Libre Belgique, 9 October 2015.
- Élodie Christophe, Ils ont décroché un contrat avec le FBI !, L'avenir, 14 February 2015.
- Isabelle Lemaire, X-RIS, chef de rayons-X, La Libre Belgique, 2 March 2015, p.10.
- New X-ray scanner for the study of zoological specimens, website of the Musée royal de l'Afrique centrale.
- Description of ViSiX on www.xris.eu.
- Luiks bedrijf X-Ris levert detectiemateriaal aan FBI, express.be, 13 February 2015.
- Luiks bedrijf krijgt bestellingen van FBI, Het Nieuwsblad, 12 February 2015.
- X-RIS remporte le concours Deloitte 2015 Technology Fast 50, Digimedia, 19 November 2015.
- Pieterjan Van Leemputten, Deloitte qualifie X-Ris d'entreprise technologique en croissance la plus rapide, Le Vif/L'Express, 19 November 2015.
- Winnaars Deloitte Technology Fast 50 bekend gemaakt, engineeringnet.be, 19 November 2015.
- Deloitte’s Technology Fast 50, echo.be, 3 January 2018.
- McConnell, Vicki (2008). "Review about Digital Images". Aviation Maintenance.
- Description of GemX on www.xris.eu
- Description of DeReO WA on www.xris.eu.
- Description of DeReO HR on www.xris.eu.