X-Yachts is a Danish yacht brand and manufacturing company, specializing in production of sailing yachts for cruising and racing.
X-Yachts was founded by brothers Niels and Lars Jeppesen with Birger Hansen, in Haderslev, Denmark where the company remain. Since then it has produced around 5,000 yachts. Their first model was the 7.9-metre (26 ft) X-79, which was launched in May 1979.
X-Yachts currently has four main categories lines:
+ X models these are cruisers with racing potential (X-40, X-43, X-46, X-49, X-65)
+ Xperformance these are cruiser/racer (Xp 38, Xp 44, Xp 50, Xp 55)
+ Xcruising these are (Xc 35, Xc 38, Xc 45, Xc 50)
+ Xracing these are one-designs racer/cruisers (X-35 and X-41)
|Name||Year Started||Year Ended||No. Built||Hull Length (m)||Notes|
|X-3/4 Ton Mk 1||1984||1990||84||9.98|
|X-3/4 Ton Mk 2||1985||1990||51||10.03|
|X-One Ton Mk1||1986||1986||12||12.12||Base on the X-402 Hull|
|X-One Ton Mk2||1986||1989||12||12.12|
|IOR Two Ton One Off||1986/12/31||-||1||"Original Beckmann Stain Remover" first epoxy boat|
|60ft One-Off||1988||-||11||18.29||"Andelsbanken 88" ULDB Racer|
|50ft IOR One Off||1989||-||1||15.23||"Andelsbanken 89" first pre-preg carbon|
|IOR One Ton One Off||1989||-||1||12.12||"Stockbroker"|
|40 ft One Ton||1990||1990||1||12.12||"Okyalos IX"|
|IMX 70||2005||2005||1||21.40||Moulding by Green Marine (UK)|
An X-79 won what was then the biggest yacht race in the world, the Sjælland Rundt, with almost 2,100 yachts competing. The X-79 went on to become a one-design class with almost 500 boats built throughout the 190s.
In 1981 the X-102 was designed to race under the Three-Quarter-tonner Rule. X-102s won the Three-Quarter Ton Cup in Finland in 1981 (Soldier Blue) and in 1982, in Spain (Lille Du). A ‘Sport’ version of the X-102 was called the X-3/4 Ton and won the Three Quarter Ton Cup in 1985 (Sweden), 1987 (Holland), Italy (1988) and Greece (1989).
Seven of the top ten finishers of the 1987 Sjælland Rundt were X-Yachts.
In 1990 X-Yachts launched a Performance Cruiser range, beginning with the X-412 and X-382.
In the 1990s the IMS handicap rule became increasingly popular for racing. The IMX 38 was developed and launched in 1993, followed by the IMX 40 and IMX 45 in the early 2000s. IMX designs competed around the world under both IMS and IRC ratings, including winning SORC in the USA in 1995 and 1997, IMS European Championships in 1995, and the Rolex Commodores’ Cup in Great Britain in 2002 and 2004.
The IMX 70 was launched in 2005 as a ‘one-off’, built by Green Marine in the UK and fitted out in Denmark.
In 2009 the first dedicated cruising X-Yacht was launched, the Xc 45, winning its category at the European Yacht of the Year. This was followed by three other Xcruising designs, with the Xc 38 also winning at the European Yacht of the Year awards in 2010.
In 2012 Danish businessman Ib Kunoe became the majority stakeholder of X-Yachts, with Consolidated Holdings A/S acquiring a 51 per cent stake in the company, which reported a turnover of DKK 250 million ($42 million USD) and employs 250 people in total. Ib Kunoe became chairman of the Supervisory Board of X-Yachts, Hans Viggard joined the company as CEO. Niels and Lars Jeppesen remain shareholders and directors responsible for design and production, Birger Hansen is a shareholder.
- "The X-Yachts Story". X-Yachts.com.
- "X-79 Brochure 1980" (PDF). x79.dk.
- "How it all began". www.x-yachts.dk.
- "Old Quarter Tonners". Boatdesign.net.
- "X-99 Class report". ISAF www.sailing.org.
- Somer, Jack (October 1987). "Sjaelland Revisited". Yachting. 4. 162: 103.
- Kretschmer, John (November 2008). "Boat Test: X-382". Sailing Magazine.
- Perry, Bob (August 25, 2000). "Perry Design Review: IMX 38". boats.com.
- "Premiere Racing SORC Results".
- "RORC Commodores' Cup results".
- Boyd, James (27 October 2012). "New Yachts at Excel". The Daily Sail.
- Robertson, Andi (12 September 2012). "X-35 Review". Yachts & Yachting.
- Andrews, Alan (December 12, 2007). "X-41 One Design: Review". Sailing World.
- "X-35 ISAF Recognized Class". www.x-35.com.
- "Class Rules". www.x-41.com.
- "IMX-70". Seil Magasinet.no.
- Galgani, Vanni (30 Jan 2007). "X55, European Yacht of the Year". Sail-World.com/Fare Vela.
- "Boot Dusseldorf European Yacht of Year Results 2011".
- Knudsen, Nancy (7 Feb 2011). "European Yacht of the Year: Luxury Cruiser, the Xc 38". Sail-World.com.
- Hodges, Toby (22 Jan 2011). "Yachts of the Year". Yachting World.
- "New majority shareholder in X-Yachts". IBI News. Jul 4, 2012.