The X-ring chain is a specialized type of sealed roller chain used to transfer mechanical power. Like the standard O-ring chains it is also used in high performance motorcycles. It uses X-ring seal to keep lubricant (usually grease) in place.
It has higher performance (in terms of durability, lifetime, and power loss) than non-O-ring chains as it has less friction than O-ring chain while providing adequate lubrication and protection against foreign elements which also increases reliability. It can last twice as long as the O-ring chain under some circumstances.
The X-ring chain is developed from O-ring chain which in turn is developed from non-O-ring chain. While the regular O-ring chain has high durability, it also has more friction (compared to other types of roller chains) due to distortion of the O-ring due to pressure from the inner and outer chain plates. This results in loss of power in the transmission. Therefore, X-ring chain was developed by replacing O-ring seal with X-ring seal which greatly reduced friction and increased durability.
Like the O-ring chain it has sealing rings which keep the contaminant (dirt) out, and lubricant in between the pins and bushings. This is known as internal lubrication. However, unlike O-ring chain, it has X shaped seal which does not experiences increased surface area (which is in contact with the chain plates) when under pressure. Therefore the friction in X-ring chain does not increase much when pressure is applied by the chain plates. Due to their unique shape, they have two additional sealing surfaces than a traditional O-ring.
|Chain type||Standard roller||O-ring chain||X-ring chain|
|Lubrication||Externally lubricated||Self lubricating(Internal)||Self lubricating(Internal)|
|Efficiency||High||Relatively low||Very High|
|Maintenance||Frequent||Less frequent, special care||Least frequent,special care|
|Cost||Relatively cheaper||Relatively Expensive||Relatively expensive|
- "O Ring and X Ring Chains ¦ Motorcycle Chains ¦ Technical Help ¦ Bike Torque Racing". www.biketorqueracing.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-09-29.
- "O-Ring vs.X-Ring and Patching Tires | Ask the Geek". Sport Rider. Retrieved 2017-09-29.
- SevenRockCityCycles. "WHAT's THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN O-RING and X-RING CHAINS? – Rock City Cycles". Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "O-Ring vs.X-Ring and Patching Tires". Cycle World. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
- "Drive Chains: O Ring/ X Ring Vs Non-O Ring Standard Chains » BikesMedia.in". www.bikesmedia.in. Retrieved 2017-09-29.
|This motorcycle, scooter or moped-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|