X1 (Korean: 엑스원, romanized: Ekseuwon, pronounced as X-One) was a South Korean boy band formed by CJ ENM through the Mnet reality competition show Produce X 101. The group was composed of eleven members: Kim Yo-han, Kim Woo-seok, Han Seung-woo, Song Hyeong-jun, Cho Seung-youn, Son Dong-pyo, Lee Han-gyul, Nam Do-hyon, Cha Jun-ho, Kang Min-hee and Lee Eun-sang. The group debuted on August 27, 2019 with the single "Flash" under Swing Entertainment and was co-managed by Stone Music Entertainment.
After debut, X1's career was mired by the Mnet vote manipulation investigation, and after an unsuccessful negotiation about the group's future between the members' individual agencies, they disbanded on January 6, 2020.
The group's name, X1, was suggested by netizens through the official Produce X 101 website and chosen by CJ E&M, with the name taken from the show's title song "X1-MA". X1 means "11" in Roman numbers, and also represents 10 members + 1 member who received the 'X' rank.
On August 19, X1 released their fandom name, "One It". The name "One It" has two meanings: the first, "want it" like how the members wish to achieve their goals, and second, how their fans are the one thing most important to X1.
Pre-debut: Produce X 101
X1 was formed through the survival competition series Produce X 101, which aired on Mnet from May 3, 2019, until July 19, 2019. Out of an initial 101 trainees participating, the final 10 were chosen out of the remaining 20 trainees in the final week of the show. The final member, known as the rank X member, was selected from the remaining trainees based on the highest number of cumulative votes. All members were announced via the final episode, which was broadcast live on July 19, 2019.
Prior to the program, many of the members have already been active in the music industry. Cho Seung-youn debuted as a member of Uniq in 2014. He also debuted as a solo artist and music producer under the stage name Luizy in 2016, before changing it to WOODZ in 2018. He is known for producing the Idol Producer debut evaluation song "It's Ok". Kim Woo-seok debuted in UP10TION under the name Wooshin in September 2015, in which he was also the host of SBS MTV's The Show alongside Produce 101 season 1 contestant & former I.O.I member Jeon So-mi in 2016. Han Seung-woo debuted as a member and the leader of Victon in November 2016. Lee Han-gyul previously debuted as a member of Yama and Hotchicks Entertainment's ballad group IM and competed with his fellow IM members in KBS2's The Unit where he ended up in 13th place. Fellow MBK trainee Nam Do-hyon was a contestant in MBC's Under Nineteen as a member of the Rap Team and ended up in 42nd place on the show. Member Kang Minhee was featured in the music video for Mad Clown and Ailee's song "Thirst" in 2018.
Their contract was intended for 5 years after debut, with a 2.5-year exclusive contract and another 2.5-year non-exclusive contract, meaning that the individual members can return to co-promote with their original agencies after the first half of their contract is over.
2019: Debut and vote manipulation investigation
After the program, the Top 11 contestants debuted under Stone Music's Swing Entertainment, the label which housed the second season Produce 101 Season 2 winner Wanna One. However, following a civil lawsuit filed against Mnet due to Produce X 101's vote manipulation allegations, several brands cancelled their endorsement deals with X1 or put them on hold. Some of the agencies of the contestants refused to sign until the allegations cleared up. In spite of this, X1's debut proceeded as planned.
Ahead of debut, the group's reality show X1 Flash premiered on August 22, 2019 through Mnet. The reality show follows the members as they prepare for their debut, and gives a glimpse into their real lives. The group debuted on August 27, 2019 with a debut showcase at Gocheok Sky Dome. On August 1, it was announced that the debuting album is Emergency: Quantum Leap with title song "Flash", composed by Score, Megatone and Onestar (Monotree). On September 3, X1 won their first-ever music show win through SBS MTV's The Show one week after debut. They received 11 wins in total for their debut song, "Flash" with their 11th win being on M Countdown on September 19.
On November 5, 2019, Ahn Joon-young, the producer of Produce X 101, was arrested, and he later admitted that all eleven members had been selected before the end of the show. This affected X1's image and caused several public appearances to be cancelled. Mnet announced that there were currently no plans for the group to promote. On December 30, 2019, CJ ENM announced that members and their agencies were in discussions on the group's future.
On January 6, 2020, CJ ENM, Swing Entertainment, and the members' individual agencies held a meeting to determine the future of the group. After deliberating for an hour about whether the group should continue promoting or disband, a secret ballot was held by the members' agencies. The agencies agreed prior to voting that the group could only continue if there was unanimous agreement or else the group would disband. Four agencies voted to continue, four agencies voted to disband, and one agency whose vote was unclear was ultimately discarded. Thus, it was determined that the group would disband. Although X1 members were not invited to the meeting, Swing CEO Cho Yoo-myung expressed their collective desire to have attended.
After the group's disbandment was decided, CJ ENM suggested that a previously recorded winter track be released as a goodbye song, but the idea was rejected by two or three of the members' agencies. Similarly, a suggestion from a member's agency to record a final video was rejected by another agency.
- Kim Yo-han (김요한)
- Kim Woo-seok (김우석)
- Han Seung-woo (한승우) – leader
- Song Hyeong-jun (송형준)
- Cho Seung-youn (조승연)
- Son Dong-pyo (손동표)
- Lee Han-gyul (이한결)
- Nam Do-hyon (남도현)
- Cha Jun-ho (차준호)
- Kang Min-hee (강민희)
- Lee Eun-sang (이은상)
Prior to debut, X1 made their Billboard chart debut on the charts Social 50 and Emerging Artists at No. 6 and No. 11, making them the first Korean artists to land a spot on the Social 50 prior to debut.
X1 has sold over 500,000 physical copies of their EP in first week of sales, hence broke the record for having the highest first week sales for a debut album, which was a record that was previously set by solo artist, Kang Daniel with his debut album, Color On Me.
On July 26th, 2020, the group's debut and only music video "Flash" reached over 100 million views on Youtube. In doing so, "Flash" has become the fastest boy group debut music video to reach 100 million views on Youtube, taking 334 days to achieve the feat.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Sales||Certifications|
|Emergency: Quantum Leap||1||4||10||76||9|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Sales
|"Flash"||2019||26||3||25||15||N/A||Emergency: Quantum Leap|
Other charted songs
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Like Always" (웃을 때 제일 예뻐)||2019||69||15||Emergency: Quantum Leap|
|"U Got It" (X1 version)||84||16|
|"I'm Here for You" (괜찮아요)||91||18|
|"Move" (움직여) (X1 version)||90||19|
|"Stand Up" (intro)||106||25|
|2019||Mnet||Produce X 101|||
Awards and nominations
V Live Awards
|2019||X1||Global Rookie Top 5||Won|
|2019||X1||Best New Artist Award||Nominated|
|2019||X1||Artist of the Year||Nominated|
|Best New Male Artist||Nominated|
|Worldwide Fan's Choice (Top 10)||Won|
|Worldwide Icon of the Year||Nominated|
|2019||X1||Song of the Month (August)||"Flash"||Nominated|
|Album of the Quarter (3rd Quarter)||Emergency: Quantum Leap||Nominated|
|2019||X1||New Artist Award||Nominated|
- Sales figures for tracks are based on digital downloads, except noted.
- Hwang, Mi-hyun (June 28, 2019). "[단독] '프듀X' 데뷔조, 스윙엔터 매니지먼트 가닥…워너원 이어 두번째". News1 Korea (in Korean). Retrieved July 22, 2019.
- "엑스원, 5개월만 결국 해체…"멤버·소속사간 전원 합의 안돼" [공식입장 전문]". entertain.naver.com (in Korean). Retrieved 2020-01-06.
- "'프로듀스X101' 이동욱 "모두 계속 꿈 꿔 달라" 최종 멤버 누가 될까". Hankyung (in Korean). July 19, 2019. Retrieved July 23, 2019.
- Solano, Steffi (March 27, 2019). "K-R&B Artist WOODZ Opens Up About Mental Health and Developing His Identity As a Soloist". Status Magazine. Retrieved July 22, 2019.
- Idol Producer. Episode 12 (in Chinese). April 4, 2018. iQiyi.
- Oh, Seong-rok (November 9, 2016). "빅톤, 새로운 세상을 향한 목소리 들려드릴게요!". MTN (in Korean). Retrieved July 22, 2019.
- "SAD STORY". melon.com (in Korean). Retrieved 2019-07-22.
- "예비돌57". imbc.com. Retrieved 2019-07-25.
- Kelley, Caitlin (February 28, 2019). "Here's What Mnet's Five-Year Contracts For 'Produce X101' Means For K-pop". Forbes. Retrieved March 14, 2019.
- Haddad, Hanan (2019-08-22). "K-Pop Boy Band X1 Is Dark And Seductive In Debut Teaser: Watch". E! Online. Retrieved 2019-09-07.
- "[단독]엑스원, 앨범 57만장 팔고도 아직 '정산금 0원' 속앓이". Sport Seoul (in Korean). 2019-11-11. Retrieved 2019-11-21.
- Haddad, Hanan (2019-08-05). "Produce X 101's K-Pop Group X1 Set To Debut With No Delays". E! Online. Retrieved 2019-09-07.
- "X1 리얼리티, 22일 첫 방송…티저 공개 '청량+몽환'". entertain.naver.com.
- Kim, Min-ji (July 22, 2019). "'프듀X' 엑스원, 8월 27일 고척돔서 데뷔 쇼콘 개최". TV Report (in Korean). Retrieved July 23, 2019.
- "엑스원, 트랙리스트 공개… 데뷔 타이틀곡은 '플래시'". n.news.naver.com.
- "'더쇼' 엑스원, 데뷔후 첫 음방 1위…"팬 분들께 감사" [종합]". Xportsnews. Retrieved 2019-09-03.
- "[단독] 프로듀스 안 모 PD "시즌 3 · 4 투표 조작 인정"". SBS News (in Korean). 2019-11-06. Retrieved 2019-11-06.
- "Mnet "엑스원 'V하트비트' 출연 취소, 추가 활동 일정 無" [전문]". Xport News (in Korean). 2019-11-15. Retrieved 2019-11-20.
- "CJ ENM 측 "아이즈원-엑스원 활동 재개, 보호해달라"(공식입장)". n.news.naver.com (in Korean). Retrieved 2020-01-06.
- "엑스원 해체 결정, 각 소속사 전원 합의 되지 않아[공식]". Sports Seoul (in Korean). 2020-01-06. Retrieved 2020-01-06.
- "[D하인드] "계산기를 두드렸다"…'엑스원', 해체 타임라인". Dispatch (in Korean). 2020-01-09. Retrieved 2020-01-12.
- Cho, Hye-jin (July 21, 2019). "빅톤, 한승우 '프듀X' 엑스원 데뷔 축하 "리더의 빈자리 잘 채우겠다"". TV Daily (in Korean). Retrieved July 23, 2019.
- Hwang, Hyejin (August 15, 2019). "엑스원, 데뷔 전부터 美빌보드 소셜50+이머징 차트 입성". Newsen (in Korean). Retrieved 2019-08-16.
- Rutherford, Kevin (August 16, 2019). "X1 Debuts at No. 6 on Social 50 Chart". Billboard. Retrieved 2019-08-17.
- , X1 Broke First Week Sales Records With Their Debut EP, Emergency: Quantum Leap.
- "X1's 'Flash' MV Surpasses 100M".
- "X1 "Flash" Fastest Debut MV to Reach 100 Million Views".
- Gaon Album Chart:
- Oricon Albums Chart:
- "Emergency: Quantum Leap (2019)". Oricon Chart (in Japanese). September 9, 2019.
- Billboard Japan Hot Albums:
- "Emergency: Quantum Leap (2019)". Billboard Japan (in Japanese). September 5, 2019.
- Top Albums Téléchargés:
- Billboard World Albums:
- "Emergency: Quantum Leap (2019)". Billboard. September 5, 2019.
- Cumulative sales of Emergency: Quantum Leap: 580,573(2019 CD)+62,010(2019 Kit)+15,305(2020 CD)
- "2019년 Album Chart (2019 CD 580,573 Kit 62,010 see #4 and #86)". Gaon Chart (in Korean). Retrieved January 10, 2020.
- "2020년 01월 Album Chart (2020 11,590)". Gaon Chart (in Korean). Retrieved February 7, 2020.
- "2020년 08월 Album Chart (2020 738/15305)". Gaon Chart (in Korean). Retrieved September 10, 2020.
- Cumulative sales of Emergency: Quantum Leap:
- "月間 アルバムランキング (2019年08月度)". Oricon (in Japanese). Archived from the original on September 11, 2019. Retrieved September 11, 2019.
- "月間 アルバムランキング (2019年09月度)". Oricon (in Japanese). Archived from the original on October 9, 2019. Retrieved October 9, 2019.
- "週間 アルバムランキング (2019年10月14日付)". Oricon (in Japanese). Archived from the original on October 10, 2019.
- "週間 デジタルアルバムランキング – 2019年09月09日付". Oricon (in Japanese). Archived from the original on September 4, 2019.
- "Gaon Certification - Album". Gaon Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Association. Retrieved October 10, 2019.
- Gaon Digital Chart:
- "Flash". Gaon Chart (in Korean). Retrieved September 5, 2019.
- Billboard Korea K-Pop 100:
- "Flash". Billboard. Retrieved September 15, 2019.
- Billboard Japan Hot 100:
- "Flash". Billboard Japan (in Japanese). Retrieved September 5, 2019.
- Billboard World Digital Song Sales:
- "Flash". Billboard. September 10, 2019.
- Gaon Digital Chart:
- Billboard Korea K-Pop 100:
- "Like Always", "U Got It", "I'm Here for You", "Move" and "Stand Up". Billboard. Archived from the original on October 8, 2019. Retrieved September 27, 2019.
- "PRODUCE X 101". produce-x-101.mnet.com (in Korean). Archived from the original on 2019-03-11. Retrieved 2019-07-25.
- "X1 리얼리티, 22일 첫 방송…티저 공개 '청량+몽환'". entertain.naver.com (in Korean). Retrieved 2019-08-27.
- Stone Music Entertainment (2019-08-27), X1 (엑스원) 'FLASH' MV, retrieved 2019-08-27
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to X1.|