SIE Worldwide Studios
|Industry||Interactive entertainment, computer and video games|
|Founded||September 14, 2005|
Number of locations
|United States, United Kingdom, Netherlands, Japan|
|Parent||Sony Interactive Entertainment|
Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios, abbreviated SIE Worldwide Studios, is a group of video game developers owned by Sony Interactive Entertainment, which was established in 2005. It is a single internal entity overseeing all wholly owned development studios within SIE. It is responsible for the creative and strategic direction of development and production of all computer entertainment software by all SIE-owned studios, all of which is produced exclusively for the PlayStation family of consoles.
- Guerrilla Games, developers of the Killzone series was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment as part of its SCE WWS.
- 989 Studios, developers of various sport games, was closed.
- Zipper Interactive, developers of the SOCOM series was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment as part of its SCE WWS.
- Evolution Studios and BigBig Studios, developers of the MotorStorm series and Pursuit Force series, were acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment as part of its SCE WWS.
- Incognito Entertainment, developers of the Twisted Metal series and Warhawk, was closed.
- Media Molecule, developers of the PlayStation 3 game LittleBigPlanet, was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment as part of its SCE WWS.
- Sucker Punch Productions, developers of the Sly Cooper series and Infamous series, was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment as part of its SCE WWS.
- BigBig Studios, developers of the Pursuit Force series, MotorStorm: Arctic Edge and Little Deviants was closed.
- Cambridge Studio was renamed as Guerrilla Cambridge, becoming a sister studio to Guerrilla Games 
- Zipper Interactive, developers of the SOCOM series, MAG and Unit 13 was closed.
- Studio Liverpool, developer of the Wipeout and Formula One series was closed.
- PixelOpus, developers of Entwined was announced by Sony Computer Entertainment as part of its SCE WWS.
- North West Studio, a Virtual Reality focused studio making games for PlayStation VR.
- Evolution Studios, developers of the MotorStorm series and Driveclub was closed.
- On March 24, 2016, Sony announced the formation of ForwardWorks, a new company that was aimed to deploy new services toward the smartdevice market.
- On January 12, 2017, Sony confirmed the closure of Guerrilla Cambridge.
|Bend Studio||Bend, Oregon, USA||1993||Originally named Blank, Berlyn and Co. and Eidetic, it was acquired by Sony in 2000. Games developed include the Syphon Filter series.||Active|
|ForwardWorks||Tokyo, Japan||2016||Aimed to deploy new services toward the ever-expanding smart device market.||Active|
|Foster City Studio||Foster City, California, US||1998||Responsible for overseeing the development of first-party games by external developers.||Active|
|Guerrilla Games||Amsterdam, Netherlands||2000||Acquired by Sony in 2005. Games developed include the Killzone series and Horizon Zero Dawn.||Active|
|Japan Studio||Tokyo, Japan||1993||Includes J.S.E.D.D., PlayStation C.A.M.P, Team Ico and Team Gravity. Games developed include Ape Escape, Soul Sacrifice, Tokyo Jungle, Patapon, Loco Roco, Ico and Shadow of Colossus.||Active|
|London Studio||London, UK||1993||Formed in 2012 by the merger of Psygnosis and Team Soho. Games developed include the SingStar franchise.||Active|
|Media Molecule||Guildford, UK||2006||Acquired in 2010. Games developed include the LittleBigPlanet series and Tearaway.||Active|
|Naughty Dog||Santa Monica, California, US||1984||Originally named as Jam Software, the studio was acquired in 2001. Games developed include Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, Uncharted and The Last of Us. It also houses the ICE Team.||Active|
|Manchester Studio||Manchester, UK||2015||Games for PlayStation VR. Formerly called North West Studio.||Active|
|PixelOpus||San Mateo, United States||2014||Announced by Sony Computer Entertainment as part of its SCE WWS at E3 2014, developer of Entwined.||Active|
|Polyphony Digital||Tokyo, Japan||1992||Originally a development group within Sony Computer Entertainment known as Polys Entertainment. Games developed include the Gran Turismo series.||Active|
|Project Siren||Tokyo, Japan||2004||Development branch of SIE Japan Studio. Games developed include Siren and Gravity Rush.||Active|
|San Diego Studio||San Diego, California, US||2001||Games developed include the MLB: The Show series and The Mark of Kri.||Active|
|San Mateo Studio||San Mateo, California, US||2016||||Active|
|Santa Monica Studio||Playa Vista, Los Angeles, US||1999||Games developed include the God of War franchise. It has an external development branch that funds and provides support for a wide variety of games.||Active|
|Sucker Punch Productions||Bellevue, Washington, USA||1999||Acquired by Sony in 2011. Games developed include Sly Cooper and Infamous.||Active|
|989 Studios||Los Angeles, United States||1995||Closed in 2005. Developed numerous sport titles and several games in the Twisted Metal franchise.||Defunct|
|BigBig Studios||Warwickshire, UK||2001||Closed in 2012. Games developed include Pursuit Force.||Defunct|
|Guerrilla Cambridge||Cambridge, UK||1997||Founded as SCE Cambridge Studio. In 2012 it became the sister studio of Guerrilla Games. Closed in 2017. Games developed include the MediEvil series.||Defunct|
|Contrail||Tokyo, Japan||1997||Closed in 2000. Games produced include Legend of Legaia and Wild Arms 2.||Defunct|
|Evolution Studios||Cheshire, UK||1999||Acquired in 2007, closed in 2016. Games developed include the MotorStorm series, the WRC series and Driveclub.||Defunct|
|Incognito Entertainment||Salt Lake City, US||1999||Closed in 2009. Games developed include the Twisted Metal series and Warhawk.||Defunct|
|Studio Liverpool||Liverpool, UK||1984||Originally founded as Psygnosis. Acquired in 1993, closed in 2012. Games developed include the Wipeout series and Formula One video game series.||Defunct|
|Zipper Interactive||Redmond, Washington, USA||1995||Acquired in 2006, closed in 2012. Games developed include the SOCOM series.||Defunct|
Other studios and associates
Naughty Dog is home to the ICE Team, one of Sony's Worldwide Studios central technology groups. The term ICE originally stands for Initiative for a Common Engine which describes the original purpose of the group. The ICE Team focuses on creating core graphics technologies for Sony's worldwide first party published titles, including low level game engine components, graphics processing pipelines, supporting tools, and graphics profiling and debugging tools. The ICE Team also supports third party developers with a suite of engine components, and a graphics analysis, profiling, and debugging tool for the RSX. Both enable developers to get better performance out of PlayStation hardwares.
Sony XDev Europe collaborates with independent development studios across Europe and other PAL territories to publish content to PlayStation platforms all over the world. The Studio Liverpool-based XDev has helped to create and publish, titles such as the LittleBigPlanet, Buzz!, MotorStorm and Invizimals series, Super Stardust HD, Heavenly Sword, Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, Tearaway and Resogun. Partners include independent developers such as Quantic Dream, Magenta Software, Housemarque, Climax Studios, Novarama, Supermassive Games and Sumo Digital, as well as SCE subsidiaries such as Media Molecule and Guerrilla Games. In addition to funding projects, XDev offer full production, project management and game design support. Titles are also supported with community management, online production and dedicated outsourcing management facilities. XDev work directly with Marketing and PR teams in all Sony territories to promote and publish games worldwide.
List of video games produced by Sony XDev Europe
- Beyond: Two Souls
- Buzz!: Brain of the World
- Buzz!: Quiz Player
- Buzz!: Quiz TV
- Buzz!: Quiz World
- Buzz!: The Big Quiz
- Buzz!: The Hollywood Quiz
- Buzz!: The Mega Quiz
- Buzz!: The Music Quiz
- Buzz!: The Pop Quiz
- Buzz!: The Schools Quiz
- Buzz!: The Sports Quiz
- Buzz!: The Ultimate Music Quiz
- Buzz! Junior: Ace Racers
- Buzz! Junior: Dino Den
- Buzz! Junior: Jungle Party
- Buzz! Junior: Monster Rumble
- Buzz! Junior: Robo Jam
- Crash Commando
- Dead Nation
- Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition
- Heavenly Sword
- Heavy Rain
- Hustle Kings
- Invizimals: Hidden Challenges
- Invizimals: Shadow Zone
- Invizimals: The Alliance
- Invizimals: The Lost Kingdom
- Invizimals: The Lost Tribes
- Invizimals: The Resistance
- Killzone 2
- Killzone: Liberation
- Lemmings Touch
- LittleBigPlanet 2
- LittleBigPlanet 3
- LittleBigPlanet HUB
- LittleBigPlanet PSP
- LittleBigPlanet PS Vita
- MotorStorm: Arctic Edge
- MotorStorm 3D Rift
- MotorStorm: Pacific Rift
- Move Fitness
- Murasaki Baby
- PlayStation Vita Pets
- Pursuit Force
- Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice
- Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic
- Reality Fighters
- Run Sackboy! Run!
- Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves
- Shadow of the Beast
- Smart As...
- Start the Party!
- Start the Party! Save the World
- Super Rub 'a' Dub
- Super Stardust HD
- Super Stardust Delta
- Super Stardust Portable
- Table Ice Hockey
- Table Mini Golf
- Table Top Tanks
- Tearaway Unfolded
- The Fight: Lights Out
- The Hungry Horde
- Until Dawn
- When Vikings Attack!
- Wonderbook: Walking with Dinosaurs
SN Systems is a provider of Windows development tools for all the PlayStation-brand platforms since the original. SN Systems was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. in 2005, to provide tools for the PlayStation 3, and future consoles.
SCEE R&D are technical experts on topics relating to any of the PlayStation platforms. The group is unique in that they report directly to both SCEE Central as well the Tokyo-based SCEI R&D Organization that designs PlayStation hardware. They do not create games; however, they supply the raw technical materials that game developers utilize to create games.
- "SCE Establishes SCE Worldwide Studios" (PDF) (Press release). Sony Computer Entertainment. September 14, 2005. Retrieved September 14, 2005.
- "Sony Computer Entertainment Acquires Guerrilla Games" (PDF) (Press release). London: Sony Computer Entertainment. December 8, 2005. Retrieved March 23, 2010.
- "Sony Computer Entertainment Acquires Zipper Interactive" (PDF) (Press release). Foster City: Sony Computer Entertainment. January 24, 2006. Retrieved March 23, 2010.
- "Sony Computer Entertainment Acquires Evolution Studios and Bigbig Studios" (Press release). Tokyo: Sony Computer Entertainment. September 20, 2007. Retrieved March 23, 2010.
- "Sony Computer Entertainment Acquires Media Molecule." (Press release). London: Sony Computer Entertainment. March 2, 2010. Retrieved March 23, 2010.
- "Sony Computer Entertainment Acquires Sucker Punch Productions" (Press release). Sony Computer Entertainment. August 2, 2011.
- Sony closes and restructures two UK studios. Develop-online.net
- Happy holidays from Guerrilla!. PlayStation.Blog.Europe
- Confirmed Sony Closes Zipper Interactive. IGN.com
- Sony closes WipEout developer Sony Liverpool. Eurogamer.net
- "Entwined Announced, Out Now on PS4".
- Sony Launching New First Party Studio for Project Morpheus VR Games. Hardcoregamer.com
- Brightman, James (March 22, 2016). "Sony confirms closure of Evolution Studios". GamesIndustry.biz. Retrieved March 22, 2016.
- "Sony Computer Entertainment to announce the formation of ForwardWorks Corporation". Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "Guerrilla Cambridge to close". Retrieved January 12, 2017.
- Ltd, HotLizard. "Sony Playstation — You have searched for Vacancies".
- LLC, Sony Interactive Entertainment America. "Sony Interactive Entertainment America Unveils Extraordinary Gaming Experiences For PlayStation®4 And PlayStation®VR At E3 2016".
- Mark Cerny's "Road to the PS4" @ Gamelab 2013. YouTube (June 27, 2013). Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- Naughty Dog Careers. Naughtydog.com. Retrieved on July 16, 2013.
- Sony’s Secret Super Development Team. PS3 Attitude (June 5, 2009). Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- Sony XDev Europe. Official Site
- Worldwide Studios/XDev. XDev on Worldwidestudios.net
- PS Vita's BigFest is also coming to PS4 and PS3. PlayStation.Blog.Europe
- Invizimals: The Resistance - E3 Trailer. YouTube.com
- Platformer Run Sackboy! Run! announced for PS Vita and mobile devices. PlayStation.Blog.Europe
- Control the undead in The Hungry Horde on PS Vita. PlayStation.Blog.Europe
- Introducing WiLD a PS4 exclusive from Rayman creator Michel Ancel. PlayStation.Blog.Europe
- "SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT TO START PROVIDING PRODG TOOLS FOR PLAYSTATION ® 3 GAME CONTENT DEVELOPMENT" (PDF). Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Retrieved September 27, 2005.