XI Bomber Command
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|XI Bomber Command|
|Branch||United States Army Air Forces|
The XI Bomber Command is an inactive United States Air Force unit. Its last assignment was with Eleventh Air Force, stationed at Shemya Army Air Base, Alaska (Territory). It was inactivated on 31 March 1944
- Constituted as XI Bomber Command on 4 March 1943
- Activated in Alaska on 19 March 1943
- Disbanded in Alaska on 31 March 1944.
- Eleventh Air Force, 19 March 1943 – 31 March 1944
- Adak Army Airfield, Alaska (Territory), 19 March 1943
- Amchitka Army Airbase, Alaska (Territory), 24 June 1943
- Adak Army Airfield, Alaska (Territory), 4 September 1943
- Shemya Army Air Base, Alaska (Territory), 3–31 March 1944–
- 28th Bombardment Group, Assigned: 19 March 1943 – 31 March 1944
- Numerous units (groups, squadrons) temporarily attached.
- Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.