XLRI - Xavier School of Management
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (January 2015)|
|Motto||For The Greater Good|
|Type||Private business school|
|Chairman||H M Nerurkar|
|Location||Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India|
|Campus||Urban, 40 acres|
|Director||Fr E. Abraham.|
|Affiliations||Jesuit, (Roman Catholic)|
- 1 History
- 2 Administration
- 3 Rankings
- 4 Academic programs
- 5 Student activities
- 6 Notable alumni
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Established in 1949 as the Xavier Labor Relations Institute, XLRI is India's oldest business management school. The Jesuit-managed school offers a full-time, 2-year, post-graduate program in Business Management, Personnel Management, & Industrial Relations (re-christened as Human Resources Management in 2011) and a Global MBA, 15-month, full-time, General Management program (PGDM-GM), a doctoral fellow program (FPM), and several executive education programs. XLRI started off by offering courses for management and trade unions in 1949 before setting up a two-year, full-time program in industrial welfare in 1953.
The Director is Fr. E. Abraham, the Dean of Academics is Dr. Pranabesh Ray, and Fr. S. George, S.J., is the Dean of Administration. The Associate Dean of programs is Dr. Santanu Sarkar, Associate Dean of Student Affairs is Fr James Santhanam, S.J., and Associate Dean of Corporate Programs is Dr. M.G. Jomon. The Chairman of the Board of Governors is Mr. T.V. Narendran. The Board includes Rajive Kaul (Chairman of NICCO Corporation Ltd.), Sumit Mazumder (President of Confederation of Indian Industry and Chairman & Managing Director of TIL Ltd.), and Rekha M Menon (Managing Director-HR, Accenture), Subodh Bhargava (Chairman of Tata Communications Ltd.), and others.
|Business – India|
XLRI ranks consistently among the top 5 business schools in the country. In 2012 it was ranked 4th among the top 75 business schools in India across private and government lines by Outlook India. It was also ranked 5th in the 2012 edition of CNBC-TV18's Top Business Schools in India, 4th by Business Today's 50 best business schools of 2012, and 3rd by Business World's Business Schools Unplugged. The PMIR (Personnel Management & Industrial Relations) programme has been consistently described as the best "HR Course" in Asia-Pacific. The school has also been recognised for its research acumen by the London Business School and ranked among the top 5 research schools in India including management and technical institutes.
Full-time residential MBA
- General Management Programme (PGDM-GM) – 15 months
- Business Management (BM) – 2 years
- Human Resource Management (HRM) – 2 years
- Global MBA – 2 years
- Fellow Programme in Management (FPM) – 4 years
- Masters Program in Positive Organization Development & Change (MPOD), offered jointly by XLRI Jamshedpur and Case Western Reserve University's Weatherhead School of Management (Cleveland, USA) - 15 months 
- Executive Fellow Programme in Management (Exec-FPM)
- Executive Post Graduate Programmes (Exec-PGP) in India, Dubai, and Singapore – 3 years
- Post Graduate Programme for Certificate in Entrepreneurship Management (PGP-CEM)
- Post Graduate Certification in Agri-Business Management (PGCABM) – 6 months (Ikisan Ltd. and XLRI , Joint Management Program)
- Post Graduate Certification in Business Management (PGCBM) – 12 months
- Post Graduate Certification in Logistics and Supply Chain Management (PGCLSCM) – 12 months
- Post Graduate Certification in Human Resource Management (PGCHRM) – 12 months
- Post Graduate Certification in Retail Management (PGCRM) – 12 months
- Post Graduate Certification in Sales & Marketing Management (PGCSMM) – 12 moths
- Executive Diploma Programme in Human Resource Management – 12 months
- Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management (PGDBM) in Singapore
- General Management Programme for Defence Personnel
- Management Development Programmes
- International Student Exchange Programme
Admission to these programs is through XLRI's entrance test XAT (Xavier Aptitude Test) and GMAT. After applying for XAT, candidates apply to other member colleges which use XAT scores for their respective admissions. XLRI updates the admission procedure on its website every year. XLRI has 180 seats each in its Business Management & Human Resource Management (erstwhile PMIR) programs, 20 seats in its two-year Global MBA, and 180 seats in the one-year General Management Program (popularly known as GMP).
Human Resource Management
The Institute offers a two-year, full-time Programme in Human Resource Management (earlier known as "Personnel Management and Industrial Relations"), on the completion of which students are conferred with PGDHRM. The program is the oldest of the institute's teaching programs.
Business Management Programme
XLRI offers a two-year, full-time programme in Business Management, started in 1968, on the completion of which candidates are conferred with a Postgraduate Diploma in Business Management (PGDBM).
Global MBA Programme
XLRI launched its Global MBA Programme in partnership with Weatherhead School of Management of Case Western University, Cleveland, USA, and School of Economics and Management of Tongji University, Shanghai, China, on January 12, 2013. This full-time, two-year, residential, global MBA programme began in August 2013.
General Management Programme
Post-graduate Diploma in Management-General Management (PGDM-GM) is a 15-month, full-time residential program. The programme consists of core and optional courses designed for fast track executives with work experience. The core courses are categorised into seven major areas, Finance and Accounts, Marketing, Production and Operation, Information Systems, Human Resource Management and Organizational Behaviour, Economics, and Strategy. Completion of the core courses opens the way for the elective courses, chosen by the participants, helping them to further their areas of interest. GMP has been ranked No. 4 by Outlook India in 2012.
Fellow Programme in Management
Fellow Programme in Management (FPM) is a Doctoral level (PhD) programme. The FPM is a full-time, residential, doctoral programme that trains prospective scholars to become researchers and teachers in various aspects of management. Fellow students are awarded a fellowship of Rs. 25,000 per month during the 1st and 2nd year and Rs. 30,000 per month for the next two years.
Entrepreneurship Management (PGP-CEM)
The Post Graduate Programme for Certificate in Entrepreneurship Management, commonly known as PGP-CEM, is a six months, full-time, classroom contact program. Candidates must hold a minimum of a three-years bachelor's degree from a recognised university in India or abroad in any discipline.
XLRI began offering the Executive Programme in Dubai in collaboration with the Al Abbas Institute of Technology from October 2001. A new chapter was set up in Singapore in March 2006 in alliance with Image International.
XLRI Accenture HR Academy
XLRI has around 21 committees on campus which deal with academics, sports, socio-cultural, and administrative activities. The Students Affairs Council (SAC) is the parent body responsible for all student-related issues and activities.
Ensemble is the annual international management festival of XLRI School of Business and Human Resources in Jamshedpur, India, launched in 2001. Themes of the conference have included "Beyond Conventions" in 2012, "Bridging The Gap" in 2011, and "Towards A Better Tomorrow" in 2010.The meeting is a conference of industry leaders, students from reputed business schools, and thinkers from the Indian MBA community. The festival is organised by the students of XLRI.
The end of Ensemble is usually marked with cultural events including performances from reputed bands of the country. Ensemble 2011 featured Motherjane, an Indian rock band from Kochi, and the original Bodhi Tree band.
- B. Muthuraman, Vice-Chairman, Tata Steel Ltd.
- Krishnakumar Natarajan, CEO of Mindtree
- Leena Nair, Global Senior Vice-President (Leadership & Organisation Development), Unilever plc
- Rakesh Kapoor, chief executive of Reckitt Benckiser plc
- Vineet Nayar, Vice-Chairman & Joint managing director, HCL Technologies Ltd.
- Naveen Jain, Founder of inome and Moon Express
- Arun Maira, Former partner at Boston Consulting Group
- K. Pandiarajan, Co-Founder Ma Foi Management Consultants, MLA Virdhunagar, Tamil Nadu
- Suman Gopalan, SVP and Chief Human Resources Officer The Nielsen Company
- Vijay Iyer, Chief Sales Officer HCL Talentcare
- Shashi Arora, Director & CEO Airtel Digital TV (DTH) at Bharti Airtel Ltd.
- Akash Khurana, Actor
- Ramesh Jayaraman, Managing Director Perfetti Van Melle India
- Leadership And Administration Retrieved 28 April 2015
- Board Of Governors Retrieved 28 April 2015
- "India's Top 50 B-Schools". Hindustan Times.
- "CNBC India, MBA Rankings".
- "The 50 best business schools". Business Today. 28 October 2012. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- "India's top 50 business schools" (jpg). Hindustan Times. 30 August 2011. Retrieved 26 December 2011.
- "Top B-Schools in India". CNBC-TV18. 12 January 2012. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "PaGaLGuY B-school Rankings 2011". PaGaLGuY.com. Retrieved 2 December 2011.
- "BEST B-SCHOOLS OUTLOOK-MDRA SURVEY".
- "MBA Rankings, Top B schools in India".
- "The 50 Best Business Schools".
- "India's best bschool survey 2012".
- Xlri Xat Test. Xlri.net.in.
- Mandatory disclosure by XLRI Retrieved 28 April 2015
- "Entrepreneurship administration".
- Accenture-XLRI HR Academy. Careers3.accenture.com (4 January 2013).
- Accenture-XLRI HR Academy launch press release. Accenture.com (4 January 2013).
- "Events – XLRI".
- "XLRI Ensemble concludes with India's top B-schools winning honors".
- "Ensemble @ XLRI".
- "Ensemble 2011-12 kickstarts at XLRI".
- "XLRI, school of business and human resources to kick start its activities for the Annual Fest – Ensemble 2009".
- "XLRI Ensemble: Growing in style and substance".
- "India's top B-schools wins at XLRI Ensemble".
- "MDI, NITIE, IIM-S win prizes at XLRI's Ensemble 2010".
- "Executive Profile: Rakesh Kapoor". Bloomberg Businessweek. 2012. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- XLRI – XLRI homepage