XLRI - Xavier School of Management
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Motto||For The Greater Good|
|Type||Private business school|
|Chairman||T. V. Narendran|
|Director||Fr E. Abraham|
|Location||Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India|
|Campus||Urban, 40 acres|
|Affiliations||Jesuit, (Roman Catholic)|
- 1 History
- 2 Administration
- 3 Rankings
- 4 Academic programs
- 5 Outbound programme
- 6 Village program
- 7 Student activities
- 8 Notable alumni
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Established in 1955 as the Xavier Labor Relations Institute, XLRI is India's oldest business management school. The Jesuit-managed school offers a full-time, 2-year, post-graduate program in Business Management, Personnel Management, & Industrial Relations (re-christened as Human Resources Management in 2011), Global Business Management, and a 15-month, full-time, General Management program (PGDM-GM), a doctoral fellow program (FPM), and several executive education programs. XLRI started off by offering courses for management and trade unions in 1949 before setting up a two-year, full-time program in industrial welfare in 1953.
The Director is Fr. E. Abraham, the Dean of Academics is Dr. Ashis Kumar Pani, and Fr. S. George, S.J., is the Dean of Administration. The Associate Dean of programs is Dr. Santanu Sarkar, Associate Dean of Student Affairs is Fr Antony Uvari and Associate Dean of Corporate Programs is Dr. M.G. Jomon. The Chairman of the Board of Governors is Mr. T.V. Narendran. The Board includes Rajive Kaul (Chairman of NICCO Corporation Ltd.), Sumit Mazumder (President of Confederation of Indian Industry and Chairman & Managing Director of TIL Ltd.), and Rekha M Menon (Managing Director-HR, Accenture), Subodh Bhargava (Chairman of Tata Communications Ltd.), and others.
XLRI ranks consistently among the top 5 business schools in the country. In 2015-16, it was ranked 4th among the top 91 business schools in India across private and government lines.
- Full-time residential MBA
- General Management Programme (PGDM-GM) – 15 months
- Business Management (BM) – 2 years
- Human Resource Management (HRM) – 2 years
- Global Business Management (Global BM) – 2 years
- Research program
- Fellow Programme in Management (FPM) – 4 years
- Masters program
- Masters Program in Positive Organization Development & Change (MPOD), offered jointly by XLRI Jamshedpur and Case Western Reserve University's Weatherhead School of Management (Cleveland, USA) - 15 months 
- Executive programs
- Executive Fellow Programme in Management (Exec-FPM)
- Executive Post Graduate Programmes (Exec-PGP) in India, Dubai, and Singapore – 3 years
- Post Graduate Programme for Certificate in Entrepreneurship Management (PGP-CEM)
- Post Graduate Certification in Agri-Business Management (PGCABM) – 6 months (Ikisan Ltd. and XLRI Joint Management Program)
- Post Graduate Certification in Business Management (PGCBM) – 12 months
- Post Graduate Certification in Logistics and Supply Chain Management (PGCLSCM) – 12 months
- Post Graduate Certification in Human Resource Management (PGCHRM) – 12 months
- Post Graduate Certification in Retail Management (PGCRM) – 12 months
- Post Graduate Certification in Sales & Marketing Management (PGCSMM) – 12 moths
- Executive Diploma Programme in Human Resource Management – 12 months
- Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management (PGDBM) in Singapore
- General Management Programme for Defence Personnel
- Management Development Programmes
- International Student Exchange Programme
Admission to these programs is through XLRI's entrance test XAT (Xavier Aptitude Test) and GMAT. After applying for XAT, candidates apply to other member colleges, which use XAT scores for their respective admissions. XLRI updates the admission procedure on its website every year. XLRI has 180 seats each in its Business Management & Human Resource Management (erstwhile PMIR) programs, 20 seats in its two-year Global Business Management, and 180 seats in the one-year General Management Program (popularly known as GMP). XLRI has completed its Summer Internship Placements 2015 for its largest ever first year PGDM (Business Management & Human Resource) batch within 2.5 days.
Human Resource Management
The Institute offers a two-year, full-time Programme in Human Resource Management (earlier known as "Personnel Management and Industrial Relations"), on the completion of which students are conferred with PGDHRM. The program is the oldest of the institute's teaching programs. Its ranked as the best programme for HR in India and the Asia-Pactific region. 
Business Management Programme
XLRI offers a two-year, full-time programme in Business Management, started in 1968, on the completion of which candidates are conferred with a Postgraduate Diploma in Business Management (PGDBM).
Global Business Management Programme
XLRI launched its Global BM Programme in partnership with Weatherhead School of Management of Case Western University, Cleveland, USA, and School of Economics and Management of Tongji University, Shanghai, China, on 12 January 2013. This full-time, two-year, residential, Global BM programme began in August 2013.
General Management Programme
Post-graduate Diploma in Management-General Management (PGDM-GM) is a 15-month, full-time residential program (previously known as GMP). The programme focuses on producing socially responsible business leaders and designed to fast track seasoned professionals. It offers a healthy mix of core courses and a rich variety of electives. Core courses include subjects from finance, economics, marketing, operations, strategy, business ethics and sustainable development. Completion of core courses opens the way to electives, chosen by the participants, helping them to further their career. GMP has been ranked No. 4 by Outlook India in 2012.
Fellow Programme in Management
Fellow Programme in Management (FPM) is a Doctoral level (PhD) programme. The FPM is a full-time, residential, doctoral programme that trains prospective scholars to become researchers and teachers in various aspects of management. Fellow students are awarded a fellowship of Rs. 25,000 per month during the 1st and 2nd year and Rs. 30,000 per month for the next two years.
Entrepreneurship Management (PGP-CEM)
The Post Graduate Programme for Certificate in Entrepreneurship Management, commonly known as PGP-CEM, is a six months, full-time, classroom contact program. Candidates must hold a minimum of a three-years bachelor's degree from a recognised university in India or abroad in any discipline.
XLRI began offering the Executive Programme in Dubai in collaboration with the Al Abbas Institute of Technology from October 2001. A new chapter was set up in Singapore in March 2006 in alliance with Image International.
XLRI Accenture HR Academy
The presence of Tata Steel Adventure Foundation near XLRI is a driving force for the adventure enthusiasts who leverage their unique infrastructure and expertise to satiate their desire of adventure. This 3 day outbound programme to TSAF camp at Tumung(Jharkhand) is organized for entire batch section wise. Activities like rock climbing, cave exploration and rafting are performed by the students.
Apart from allowing students to experience adventure first hand, they also help to hone their managerial and organizing skills first hand.
Every year Fr Arrupe Centre for Ecology and Sustainability (FACES), a multi-disciplinary centre at XLRI Jamshedpur, which aims to provide thought leadership to promote policies, practices and dialogue which have impact on holistic and sustainable development of society and enterprises, organizes organized and coordinates the Students' Rural Immersion Program, which is a mandatory part of induction program for the students. 
To facilitate the visit and make it a meaningful learning experience, FACES partnered with 10 NGOs ( Society For People's Awareness and Rural Development Action (SPARDA), Alternative for India Development, SEEDS, TSRDS, Samiket Jan Vikas Kendra (SJVK), Tagore Society for Rural Developmenent-Patamda, Centre for World Solidarity, Kalamandir and TRTC-Chaibasa) to organize the week-end visits during the first term. The groups shared their reports with the partnering NGOs, who found them a useful input to their ongoing activities. In the village, they talk to villagers on their community, family, education, sources of income, their own ideas of opportunity as well as their concern for future.These discussions allows students to first-hand experience the life in village's, the challenges and opportunities. 
XLRI has around 21 committees on campus dealing with academics, sports, socio-cultural, and administrative activities. The Students Affairs Council (SAC)  is the premier body responsible for all student-related issues and activities. SAC consists of a General Secretary at the helm and four elected representatives from the senior batch.
SAC supervises various student activities on campus and is the interface between the students and the administration. It has the responsibility of all student-related issues on campus and envisioning future activities. SAC organizes XLRI's flagship Inter B-School festivals - Ensemble and Valhalla, every year. It plays an active role in issues such as restructuring academic content, enhancement of infrastructure and facilities, and coordinating extra-curricular activities on campus. SAC supervises and manage all activities that happen on campus and strives for continuous betterment of the student life on campus.
Ensemble is the annual international management festival of XLRI School of Business and Human Resources in Jamshedpur, India, launched in 2001. It plays host to contemporary and futuristic competitions, aimed at exploring and challenging the business acumen and social sensitivity of the leaders of tomorrow. The meeting is a conference of industry leaders, students from reputed business schools, and thinkers from the Indian MBA community. The annual summit sees the participation of around 4,000 teams from various reputed business schools that include IIMs, FMS, TISS and IIFT.
The festival is organised by the students of XLRI. Themes of the conference have included "Progressive India: Winds for Change" in 2015, " 'Reinventing leadership, redefining strategies" in 2014, "Beyond Conventions" in 2012, "Bridging The Gap" in 2011, and "Towards A Better Tomorrow" in 2010.
The end of Ensemble is usually marked with cultural events including performances from reputed bands of the country. Ensemble 2011 featured Motherjane, an Indian rock band from Kochi, and the original Bodhi Tree band.
Valhalla is the national inter-college sports cum cultural festival. During the three-day festival, participants engage in a variety of team and individual activities such as acting, dancing, rapid fire quizzes, football and other sporting events. In tandem with XLRI’s spirit of "For the Greater Good", Valhalla has always had an undertone of social welfare to it. In the evenings, celebrity bands are hired to entertain the crowd with grand stage shows.With over fifty events and footfall of 3,000 students, the festival draws participants from over ten reputed management institutes, including IIM-Ranchi, IIM-Kolkata, IIM-Raipur, FMS-Delhi and SIBM-Pune, among others. Valhalla 2015, featured performance by Prince Dance Group, the ensemble dance troupe from Odisha, kabaddi event conducted by the Pro Kabaddi League players and celebrity singer Shilpa Rao. It synergistically supported Milaap, a crowd-funded micro-financing cooperative.
- Chandramouli Venkatesan, Managing Director, Mondelez India
- Krishnakumar Natarajan, Chairman of Mindtree
- Leena Nair, Global Senior Vice-President (Leadership & Organisation Development), Unilever plc
- Naveen Jain, Founder of inome and Moon Express
- K. Pandiarajan, Minister for School Education and Sports and Youth Welfare, Government of Tamilnadu, MLA Virdhunagar, Tamil Nadu, , Co-Founder Ma Foi Management Consultants
- Prasad Chintamaneni, senior vice-president and global head of banking and financial services Cognizant technology solutions
- Rakesh Kapoor, chief executive of Reckitt Benckiser plc
- Ramesh Jayaraman, Managing Director Perfetti Van Melle India
- Ramgopal Vallath, Writer, Motivational Speaker
- Dr. NS Rajan, Group chief human resources officer and member of the Group Executive Council, Tata Sons 
- Mohan V. Raman, Television and film actor, management trainer 
- Shashi Arora, Director & CEO Airtel Digital TV (DTH) at Bharti Airtel Ltd.
- Vijay Iyer, Chief Sales Officer HCL Talentcare
- "Harvard to XLRI: Four oldest B-schools in the world". timesofindia-economictimes.
- Leadership And Administration Retrieved 28 April 2015
- Board Of Governors Retrieved 28 April 2015
- "Businessline and MBA Universe Business School Ranking 2015-16" (PDF).
- "XLRI - School of Advanced Management - M.S. Programme (MPOD) - MS Programmes In India".
- Xlri Xat Test. Xlri.net.in.
- Mandatory disclosure by XLRI Retrieved 28 April 2015
- "Xavier Aptitude Test".
- "XLRI Summer Internship 2015".
- "XLRI - School of Human Resources | Postgraduate Diploma in Human Resource Management PGDM (HRM)". www.xlri.ac.in. Retrieved 2016-01-13.
- "XLRI - School of Business | Postgraduate Diploma in Business Management PGDM (Global BM)". www.xlri.ac.in. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "Entrepreneurship administration".
- Accenture-XLRI HR Academy. Careers3.accenture.com (4 January 2013).
- Accenture-XLRI HR Academy launch press release Archived 11 December 2009 at the Wayback Machine.. Accenture.com (4 January 2013).
- "XLRI - Current students - Student Societies". www.xlri.ac.in. Retrieved 2016-01-10.
- "Tumung Adventure Camp for XLRI Jamshedpur Students - InsideIIM.com". InsideIIM.com. Retrieved 2016-01-10.
- "XLRI - Resources - Fr Arrupe Centre for Ecology and Sustainability (FACES)". www.xlri.ac.in. Retrieved 2016-01-10.
- "Find P2: XL- Village Immersion Program". p2here.blogspot.in. Retrieved 2016-01-10.
- "Events – XLRI".
- "XLRI Ensemble concludes with India's top B-schools winning honors".
- "Ensemble @ XLRI".
- "Ensemble 2011-12 kickstarts at XLRI".
- "XLRI, school of business and human resources to kick start its activities for the Annual Fest – Ensemble 2009".
- "XLRI Ensemble: Growing in style and substance".
- "India's top B-schools wins at XLRI Ensemble".
- "MDI, NITIE, IIM-S win prizes at XLRI's Ensemble 2010".
- "XLRI celebrates Ensemble 2014". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 2015-10-17.
- "XLRI gears up for three-day cultural extravaganza 'Valhalla' - The Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2015-10-17.
- "XLRI Hosted "VALHALLA 2015"". indiaeducationdiary.in. Retrieved 2015-10-17.
- "Executive Profile: Rakesh Kapoor". Bloomberg Businessweek. 2012. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- "Dr NS Rajan".
- "Mohan V. Raman".
- XLRI – XLRI homepage