Christophe de Dinechin
|Known for||XL programming language|
HP Integrity Virtual Machines
Dinechin contributed to C++, notably a high-performance exception handling implementation that became a de-facto standard in the industry. de Dinechin was one of the proponents of a portable C++ ABI, initially developed for Itanium, but now widely used across platforms.
XL programming language
Dinechin is the designer of the XL programming language and associated concept programming methodology. "XL" is named for "eXtensible Language".
XL features programmer-reconfigurable syntax and semantics. Compiler plug-ins can be used to add new features to the language. A base set of plug-ins implements a relatively standard imperative language. Programmers can write their own plug-ins to implement application-specific notations, such as symbolic differentiation, which can then be used as readily as built-in language features.
There are projects that exploit similar ideas to create code with higher level of abstraction. Among them are:
- Intentional programming
- Language-oriented programming
- Literate programming
- Model-driven architecture
As initial developer of Alpha Waves, a "groundbreaking" Atari ST game (listed in the Guinness World Records as the first 3D platform game), de Dinechin heavily influenced Frederick Raynal, the main developer of Alone in the Dark. de Dinechin also wrote a few viral games for HP-48 calculators, and was the first person to take advantage of hardware-scrolling on these machines.
Operating systems design
In the early 2000s, he worked as a software architect for HP-UX, and was the initial designer of HP's virtualisation platform for Itanium servers, HP Integrity Virtual Machines. He was awarded 10 US patents for this work.
Christophe de Dinechin did the initial port of Emacs to the Aqua user interface. He wrote a variety of open-source drivers for the HP DE200C Digital Entertainment Center, turning it from a web-connected CD Player into a true digital video recorder.
Between 2010 and 2017, Christophe de Dinechin was the CEO of Taodyne, a company developing a 3D animation tool, using a derivative of his XL programming language called Tao3D to describe dynamic documents.
Dinechin has published three books:
- A French science-fiction novel called Informagie
- A French book about physics called Réunifions la physique
- A physics book called A theory of incomplete measurements
- de Dinechin, Christophe (October 2000). "C++ exception handling for IA-64" (PDF). IEEE Concurrency. ACM. 8 (4): 72–79. doi:10.1109/4434.895109. Retrieved 2014-02-24.
- Bocci, Andrea (2004-04-01). "Exception Handling How To". Retrieved 2014-02-24.
- "C++ ABI Summary". Mentor Graphics. March 2001. Retrieved 2014-02-24.
- Manchester, Phil (2008-01-16). "Dip into Concept Programming". The Register. Retrieved 2010-02-03.
- "First 3D platform videogame". Guinness World Records. Retrieved 2023-06-01.
- Loguidice, Bill; Barton, Matt (2009). Vintage Games: An Insider Look at the History of Grand Theft Auto, Super Mario, and the Most Influential Games of All Time. Taylor & Francis. p. 6. ISBN 978-0-24081146-8.
- "Lemmings for HP-48". HPCalc.org. Retrieved 2014-02-24.
- "PacMan for HP-48". HPCalc.org. Retrieved 2014-02-24.
- "Interview de Paul Courbis". HP-Network.com. Retrieved 2014-02-24.
- Loli, Eugenia (2003-07-08). "Interview with Christophe de Dinechin, HP-UX Engineer". OSNews. Retrieved 2014-02-05.
- "US Patents citing Christophe de Dinechin as an inventor". US Patent Office. Retrieved 2014-02-24.
- de Dinechin, Christophe (2022). "DB48X on DM42 - RPL runtime for the DM42 calculator, in the spirit of HP48/49/50". DB48X. Archived from the original on 2023-11-03. Retrieved 2023-10-23.
- de Dinechin, Christophe (2023-02-03). "Reviving Reverse Polish Lisp - Building an open-source HP48-like calculator". FOSDEM. Archived from the original on 2023-10-03. Retrieved 2023-10-03. (NB. An improved derivative of RPL called DB48X for the SwissMicros DM42 and DM32.)
- "Emacs on Aqua". SourceForge. Retrieved 2014-02-24.
- "Drivers for the HP DE200C". Grenouille Bouillie. Retrieved 2014-02-24.
- "Tao3D". Sourceforge. Retrieved 2023-06-01.
- Ravelin, Antoine; de Dinechin, Christophe (2019-10-15). Informagie. Roman d'anticipation - Ou pas (in French) (1 ed.). Christophe de Dinechin. ISBN 978-1-69985081-7.
- Réunifions la physique! Du jeu vidéo à une vision pixelisée de l'univers intégrant la Théorie de la Relativité et la Mécanique Quantique (in French) (1 ed.). Dés-Cubes Editions. 2023-05-16. ISBN 979-8-39488223-4. Retrieved 2023-06-01.
- A theory of incomplete measurements: Towards a unified vision of the laws of physics (1 ed.). Dés-Cubes Editions. 2022-03-09. ISBN 979-8-42773619-0. Retrieved 2023-06-01.