|Type||Virtual reality and Augmented reality API|
OpenXR is a working group managed by the Khronos Group consortium with the aim to design a standard for Virtual reality and Augmented reality. OpenXR was announced by the Khronos Group on February 27 2017 during the GDC 2017.
The standard will comprise two parts:
- An API aimed for the application developers
- A Device Layer, aimed for the Virtual reality or Augmented reality hardware, presenting an abstraction interface with the device itself
Currently (as of March 2017), the Khronos Group has a tentative first release of the API for late 2018.
Currently (as of May 2018), the front page of The Kronos Group Inc. OpenXR project lists the following contributors:
- ARM Holdings
- Epic Games
- Huawei Technologies
- Imagination Technologies
- Intel Corporation
- LG Electronics
- Magic Leap
- Oculus VR
- Pluto VR
- Razer Inc.
- Samsung Electronics
- Sony Interactive Entertainment
- Tobii Technology
- Unity Technologies
- Valve Corporation
- VIA Alliance Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
- zSpace (company)
However, the dedicated member list page of The Kronos Group Inc. OpenXR project clarifies that there are few different groups of members (Promoter, Contributor, Associate, Academic members and Individual contributors) and lists 139 (as of May 2018) of them.
- "Khronos Reveals API Updates & New Working Groups at GDC". Khronos Group. 2017-02-27. Retrieved 2017-03-08.
The Khronos Virtual Reality Initiative announced in December is making rapid progress in designing an open standard for portable Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality apps and devices. Today, Khronos releases the official name of the standard: OpenXR
- "The OpenXR Working Group is Here!". Khronos Group. 2017-02-27. Retrieved 2017-03-08.
The OpenXR standard comes in two parts. First, the Application Interface, which application developers and middleware providers write to, and which serves to define and combine common, cross-platform functionality(...)Next, the Device Layer allows VR/AR runtimes to interface with various devices
- "Khronos Bolsters VR, AR, MR Markets With OpenXR Working Group, API Updates, More". Tom's Hardware. 2017-02-27. Retrieved 2017-03-08.
- "GDC 2017: Khronos Group Unveils VR/AR Standard OpenXR". UploadVR. 2017-02-27. Retrieved 2017-03-09.
- "A Chat With Khronos President Neil Trevett About Vulkan, OpenXR, SPIR-V In 2017". Phoronix. 2017-03-08. Retrieved 2017-03-09.
With regard to their OpenXR effort for an industry standard VR, we won't see the fruit of this work until next year. Currently, the tentative target appears to be for holiday 2018 but we may see some companies showing off efforts earlier in the calendar year
- "OpenXR Overview - The Khronos Group Inc". The Khronos Group. 2016-12-06. Retrieved 2018-05-07.
- "Zhaoxin". en.wikichip.org. Retrieved 2018-08-07.
Zhaoxin (Shanghai Zhaoxin Semiconductor Co., Ltd., also goes by VIA Alliance Semiconductor Co., Ltd.)
- "Kronos Members - The Khronos Group Inc". The Khronos Group. 2018-05-07. Retrieved 2018-05-07.
|This computer graphics–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|