Xavier Jayakumar Arulanandam
Xavier Jayakumar Arulanandam
|2018–2020||Minister of Water, Land and Natural Resources|
|Exco roles (Selangor)|
|2008–2013||Chairman of the Health, Plantation Workers, Poverty and Friendly Government|
|Faction represented in Dewan Rakyat|
|Faction represented in Selangor State Legislative Assembly|
|2008–2018||People's Justice Party|
Xavier Jayakumar s/o Arulanandam
1953 (age 67–68)
Ipoh, Perak, Federation of Malaya (now Malaysia)
|Political party||People's Justice Party (PKR) |
|Perikatan Nasional (PN) |
(allied) (since 2021)
Pakatan Harapan (PH)
Pakatan Rakyat (PR)
Barisan Alternatif (BA)
|Residence||Taman Sri Andalas, Klang, Selangor|
|Alma mater||Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Manipal|
Dato' Dr. Xavier Jayakumar s/o Arulanandam (Tamil: சேவியர் ஜயகுமார், romanized: Cēviyar jayakumār) is a Malaysian politician who was Minister of Water, Land and Natural Resources in the Pakatan Harapan (PH) administration under former prime minister Mahathir Mohamad from July 2018 to the collapse of the PH administration in February 2020. He has been Member of Parliament (MP) for Kuala Langat since May 2018. He was also Selangor State Executive Councillor (EXCO) from March 2008 to May 2013 and member of the Selangor State Legislative Assembly (MLA) for Seri Andalas from March 2008 to May 2018. He was a former member and vice-president of the People's Justice Party (PKR), a component party of the PH opposition coalition.
Minister of Land, Water and Natural Resources
He had proposed to amend the National Land Code passed in 2014 which allows the ownership of land to foreign citizens and companies through Section 433B with the approval of the state government.
On 1 May 2019, Xavier gave himself a rating of seven to eight out of 10 for his performance as the Water, Land and Natural Resources Minister in the Pakatan Harapan government, after being in the position for about a year.
On 17 February 2021, a person he described as a fellow party member and "close family friend" was arrested with two others by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission in relation to a contract awarded in 2019 under the jurisdiction of his ministry.
People's Justice Party and defection
On 13 March 2021, he suddenly announced that he resigned as both a member and as a party vice-president, citing that he was "extremely frustrated" by the events of the past year. Subsequently, he would become an Independent MP while declaring his full support to Perikatan Nasional's leadership.
On the same day, PKR Member of Parliament Sivarasa Rasiah claimed that Xavier defected due to pressure arising from the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission's investigation into a contract awarded in 2019 to several people including Xavier's "close family friend" during his tenure as minister. 
After losing to grab the Parliamentary seat, he has contested in the Selangor State Assembly seat, Seri Andalas. Fate has sided with him and won the seat in the 2008 Malaysian general election. After winning, he was appointed as a Member of the Selangor State Executive Council.
In the 2013 Malaysian general election, he managed to defend the Seri Andalas seat in a 5-cornered contest.
|2008||N49 Seri Andalas, P111 Kota Raja||Xavier Jayakumar (PKR-PR)||20,258||66.83%||Kamalam Annasamy (MIC-BN)||10,055||33.17%||31,039||10,203||79.93%|
|2013||N49 Seri Andalas, P111 Kota Raja||Xavier Jayakumar (PKR-PR)||31,491||64.43%||Mohan Thangarasu (MIC-BN)||15,858||32.45%||49,552||15,633||87.30%|
|Hanafiah Husin (IND)||871||1.78%||75.24%|
|Uthayakumar Ponnusamy (IND)||614||1.26%|
|Kottappan Suppaiah (IND)||41||0.08%|
|2004||P099 Ampang, Selangor||Xavier Jayakumar (PKR-BA)||13,482||28.87%||Rozaidah Talib (UMNO-BN)||33,214||71.13%||47,479||19,732||71.26%|
|2018||P112 Kuala Langat, Selangor||Xavier Jayakumar (PKR-PH)||43,239||49.08%||Shahril Sufian Hamdan (UMNO-BN)||26,127||29.66%||89,437||17,112||87.34%|
|Yahya Baba (PAS)||18,731||21.26%|
Honour of Malaysia
- Kelantan :
- "A New Committee for the Indian Community!" - YB Dr. Xavier". astroulagam.com.my. Astro (television). 11 June 2018. Retrieved 14 March 2021.
- "Meet Malaysia's new Cabinet of 26 ministers, 23 deputy ministers". 2 July 2018. Archived from the original on 10 July 2018.
- Ida Nadirah Ibrahim (1 May 2019). "Water, land and resources minister rates himself 7/10 in Pakatan's first-year report card". The Malay Mail. Retrieved 14 March 2021.
- Rajvinder Singh (18 February 2021). "MACC arrest Perak PKR deputy chairman and two company directors". theSun. Retrieved 14 March 2021.
- Wani Muthiah (13 March 2021). "Kuala Langat MP Xavier Jayakumar leaves PKR". The Star. Retrieved 13 March 2021.
- R. Loheswar (13 March 2021). "Sivarasa: PKR's Dr Xavier wouldn't have resigned if not for MACC probe targeted at him". Malay Mail. Retrieved 13 March 2021.
- "Dashboard PRU13". 23 April 2013. Archived from the original on 21 July 2018. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "KEPUTUSAN PILIHAN RAYA UMUM KE-12". 6 September 2011. Archived from the original on 21 July 2018. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "Dashboard PRU14". pru14.spr.gov.my. Archived from the original on 9 May 2018. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- http://result.spr.gov.my/menuutama2.asp. Archived from the original on 1 April 2004. Missing or empty
- "Ketua Audit Negara dahului senarai 623 penerima kehormatan Kelantan" (in Malay). Bernama. 11 November 2019. Retrieved 11 November 2019.