Xavier Phillips started learning the cello at the age of 6. He entered the Conservatoire de Paris in 1986 and studied with Philippe Muller. He obtained the First Prize of the Conservatory in 1989. After a third prize at the Rostropovich Competition in 1989, he continued his training with Mstislav Rostropovitch, who particularly noticed him. They worked together for a dozen years, the master inviting him regularly as a soloist of the orchestras he was led to direct.
Xavier Phillips plays on a 1710 made cello by Matteo Goffriller.
- Sonates pour violoncelle et piano: sonata by Alfred Schnittke; sonata Op. 40 in D minor by Shostakovich; sonata Op. 119 in C major by Prokofiev with Hüseyin Sermet as the pianist, at Harmonia mundi, HMN 911628.
- Armenia: Interpretations of Armenian composers' works (Aram Khachaturian, Arno Babadjanian...etc); with Vahan Mardirossian and Jean-Marc Phillips-Varjabédian, at Lontano-Warner.
- (in English) Biography on Musicaglotz
- Xavier Phillips on France Musique
- Xavier Phillips on France Info
- Xavier Phillips on Orchestre de chambre de Paris
- Xavier Phillips on La Folle Journée
- Xavier Phillips on Orchestre de l'Alliance
- (in English) Xavier Phillips on Mariisky Theatre
- Boccherini - Cello concert Bb-dur, Xavier Phillips on YouTube
- Xavier Phillips - Tout un monde lointain de Henri Dutilleux - part 1 of 5 on YouTube