Xbox technical specifications
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Xbox technical specifications describe the various components of the Xbox video game console.
Central processing unit
- CPU: 32-bit 733 MHz, custom Intel Pentium III Coppermine-based processor in a Micro-PGA2 package (though soldered to the mainboard using BGA). 180 nm process.[better source needed] It is essentially an Intel Celeron but with better cache performance.
- Shared graphics memory sub-system
Graphics processing unit
- GPU and system chipset: 233 MHz "NV2A" ASIC. Co-developed by Microsoft and Nvidia and essentially a variant of Geforce 3 chips.
- Floating-point performance: 5.8 GFLOPS
- Geometry engine: 115 million vertices/second, 125 million particles/second (peak)
- 4 pixel pipelines with 2 texture units each
- Peak fillrate:
- Realistic fillrate:
- Peak triangle performance: 29,125,000 32-pixel triangles/s, raw or with 2 textures and lighting (32-pixel divided from peak fillrate)
- 485,416 triangles per frame at 60 frame/s
- 970,833 triangles per frame at 30 frame/s
- Realistic triangle performance: 7,812,500–21,875,000 32-pixel triangles/s, with 2 textures, lighting, Z-buffering, fogging and alpha blending (32-pixel divided from realistic fillrate)
- 130,208–364,583 triangles per frame at 60 frame/s
- 260,416–729,166 triangles per frame at 30 frame/s
- 4 textures per pass, texture compression, full scene anti-aliasing (NV Quincunx, supersampling, multisampling)
- Bilinear, trilinear, and anisotropic texture filtering
- Performance lies between a normal Geforce 3 Series (non TI) GPU and a Geforce 4 Series GPU. This is due to the added vertex shader present on the ASIC, thus doubling the vertex output compared to Geforce 3 ASICs. Clock speed is the same as the original Geforce 3 series GPU (200mhz) thus slower than Geforce 4 series starting at 250mhz.
- Storage media
- Audio processor: NVIDIA "MCPX" (a.k.a. SoundStorm "NVAPU")
- Wolfson Microelectronics XWM9709 AC97 Revision 2.1 Audio Codec
- Integrated Parthus DSP for realtime Dolby Digital encoding
- 64 3D sound channels (up to 256 stereo voices)
- HRTF Sensaura 3D enhancement
- MIDI DLS2 Support
- Monaural, Stereo, Dolby Surround, Dolby Digital Live 5.1, and DTS Surround (DVD movies only) audio output options
- Controller ports: 4 proprietary USB 1.1 ports
- A/V outputs: composite video, S-Video, component video, HDMI(via 3rd party), SCART, Digital Optical TOSLINK, and stereo RCA analog audio
- S-Video requires "Advanced AV Pack", component video requires "High Definition AV Pack", TOSLINK requires either of the two
- Resolutions: 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i
- Integrated 10/100BASE-TX wired Ethernet with ICS ICS1893AF Physical Layer Transceiver
- DVD movie playback (add-on required)
- "Hardware Behind the Consoles: Microsoft's Xbox". Anandtech. 2001-11-21. Archived from the original on 2016-06-27. Retrieved 2017-05-20.
- Graphics Processor Specifications, IGN, 2001
- "Hardware Behind the Consoles - Part I: Microsoft's Xbox - The X-IGP". Anandtech.com. 2001-11-21. Retrieved 2010-11-11.
- Original Xbox Technical Specifications Archived October 10, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.