The Xeelee Sequence is a series of hard science fiction space opera novels, novellas and short stories by British science fiction author Stephen Baxter. The novels span several billion years, describing the future expansion of humanity, its war with its nemesis (an alien Type IV civilization called the Xeelee), and the Xeelee's own war with dark matter entities called Photino Birds. Other important Xeelee Sequence species include the Qax, the Squeem, and the Silver Ghosts. Several novels also deal with humans and posthumans living in extreme conditions, such as the heart of a neutron star (Flux) or a universe with considerably stronger gravity (Raft).
Baxter's Destiny's Children series is part of the Xeelee Sequence.
The novels, in chronological order (not publication order) are:
|Coalescent||2003||Part of Destiny's Children. Arthur C. Clarke Award nominee, 2004|
|Transcendent||2005||Part of Destiny's Children. Michael Poole's segment
John W. Campbell Memorial Award nominee, 2006
|Ring||1994||before Great Northern launches|
|Exultant||2005||Part of Destiny's Children.|
|Raft||1991||Arthur C. Clarke Award nominee, 1992|
|Ring||1994||after Great Northern returns|
In 2009, Baxter posted a detailed chronology of the Xeelee Sequence explaining the proper chronological reading order of all the novels, novellas, and short stories up to that year.
When asked directly for a suggested reading order, the author wrote: "I hope that all the books and indeed the stories can be read stand-alone. I’m not a great fan of books that end with cliff-hangers. So you could go in anywhere. One way would be to start with ‘Vacuum Diagrams’, a collection that sets out the overall story of the universe. Then ‘Timelike Infinity’ and ‘Ring’ which tell the story of Michael Poole, then ‘Raft’ and ‘Flux’ which are really incidents against the wider background, and finally ‘Destiny’s Children.’"
- "TVtropes.org - Abusing the Kardashev Scale for Fun and Profit".
- "2004 Award Winners & Nominees". Worlds Without End. Retrieved 3 August 2009.
- "2006 Award Winners & Nominees". Worlds Without End. Retrieved 3 August 2009.
- "1992 Award Winners & Nominees". Worlds Without End. Retrieved 3 August 2009.
- "Books". Stephen Baxter. Retrieved 1 March 2012.
- Baxter's own complete (as of July 2009) timeline for the Xeelee Sequence of novels and stories, hosted on his official website.