|Developer(s)||XenForo Limited, Kier Darby, Mike Sullivan, Chris Deeming|
|Initial release||March 8, 2011|
2.0.10 / September 11, 2018
|License||Commercial proprietary software|
XenForo is a commercial Internet forum software package written in the PHP programming language using the Zend Framework. The software is developed by former vBulletin lead developers Kier Darby and Mike Sullivan. The first public beta release of XenForo was released in October 2010, the stable version on March 8, 2011. The program includes several search engine optimization (SEO) features.
On November 12, 2014, Chris Deeming joined the development team. One of his products, Xen Media Gallery, now XenForo Media Gallery, joined the XenForo family of products. 
One of the developers of XenForo, Kier Darby, had been a lead developer for the community platform vBulletin. The original owner of vBulletin, Jelsoft, was acquired by the American new media company Internet Brands in 2007. Disagreements occurred between the developers and the new management and most of the vBulletin developers left Internet Brands in 2009. Darby and other former vBulletin developers began work on a new platform, XenForo.
Internet Brands lawsuits
One day before the scheduled release of the first public beta of XenForo in October 2010, Internet Brands announced that it would file a lawsuit against the XenForo team in the UK, claiming: copyright infringement of property acquired by Internet Brands, use of code in XenForo that was refactored from vBulletin code, breach of contract, and engaging in unfair business practices. Representatives stated that XenForo "unfairly stands on the shoulders of more than a decade of development", development which had become the property of Internet Brands through the acquisition. Internet Brands denied that the timing of the lawsuit was to coincide with the public beta .In November 2010, Internet Brands sued XenForo and Darby in California District Court in the United States, additionally claiming that Darby had not returned confidential information from Internet Brands regarding the vBulletin software. The XenForo team denied the claims. .
On February 28, 2013, XenForo announced that the lawsuit had been settled between the parties in both the UK and the US. Although specific terms of the agreement are confidential, Internet Brands withdrew both the US and UK lawsuits. XenForo announced that all license holders with a valid license from June 19, 2012, would receive an additional 255 days of support and download access.
The second major release of XenForo is XenForo 2.0. In November 2016, a demo version of the alpha was launched; in 2017, the first two developer previews were released. In September 2017, the first beta was made available to active customers. On 28 November 2017, the first stable release of XenForo 2.0.0 was made available.
|Legend:||Old version||Older version, still supported||Current stable version||Latest preview version||Future release|
|Version||Release date||Notable changes||Latest release|
|Old version, no longer supported: 1.0||March 8, 2011||Initial release||1.0.4 ||July 12, 2011|
|Old version, no longer supported: 1.1||November 22, 2011||Thread prefixes, RTL, etc.||1.1.5 ||May 21, 2013|
|Older version, yet still supported: 1.2||July 30, 2013||Template modification system, route filters (route changing), post edit history and logging||1.2.9 ||July 27, 2015|
|Older version, yet still supported: 1.3||March 11, 2014||Custom BB codes, Google+/Twitter registration, user change logging, multi-quote, etc.||1.3.9 ||October 20, 2015|
|Older version, yet still supported: 1.4||September 9, 2014||Selective quoting, sitemap XML generation, thread reply bans, custom help pages, poll improvements, new profile post features, etc.||1.4.13 ||August 30, 2016|
|Older version, yet still supported: 1.5||August 18, 2015||Thread tagging, responsive admin control panel, two-step verification, floating notices, profile post comment improvements, etc.||1.5.22 ||September 11, 2018|
|Current stable version: 2.0||November 28, 2017||New user interface, emoji support, what's new section, etc.||2.0.10 ||September 11, 2018|
- "Nearly There..." XenForo. Retrieved March 7, 2011.
- Feedback from XenForo blog Archived May 13, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Metz, Cade. "vBulletin denies busting downloads in paid-up protester ban". The Register. Retrieved November 6, 2010.
- Metz, Cade. "vBulletin sues ex-devs over 'from scratch' competitor". The Register. Retrieved November 6, 2010.
- Metz, Cade. "Forumware giant vBulletin sues ex-devs (again)". The Register. Retrieved November 6, 2010.
- "Grace+Grace LLP Celebrates Dismissal of Internet Brands Litigations". Grace+Grace LLP. Archived from the original on March 3, 2013. Retrieved March 4, 2013.
- Darby, Kier. "Lawsuit Over...Next!". XenForo. Retrieved March 4, 2013.
- "XenForo 1.0 released".
- "XenForo 1.0.4 released".
- "XenForo 1.1 released".
- "XenForo 1.1.5 released".
- "XenForo 1.2 released".
- "Template Modifications and Comparison". XenForo. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- "Route Filters". XenForo. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- "Post Edit History and Logging". XenForo. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- "XenForo 1.2.9 Released (Security Fix)".
- "XenForo 1.3 released".
- "XenForo 1.3.9 Released (Security Fix)".
- "XenForo 1.4 released".
- "XenForo 1.4.13 Released (Security Fix)".
- "XenForo 1.5.0 Released". Retrieved June 11, 2015.
- "XenForo 1.5.22 Released". Retrieved 2018-09-11.
- "XenForo 2.0.0 & Add-ons Released".
- "XenForo 2.0.10 Released". XenForo community. Retrieved 2018-09-11.